History
Antioch Colony
Antioch Colony was a rural farming community formed after the Civil War by a group of formerly enslaved African Americans. Although freed from slavery after the Civil War, African Americans still found it difficult to purchase land. In 1859, Anglo businessman Joseph F. Rowley purchased 490 acres in north Hays County, along Onion Creek. He began selling parcels to former slaves in 1870 at $5.
History
Appoximate Site of the Missions
San Francisco Xavier de los Dolores, Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria, San Ildefonso. Originally established on the San Gabriel River by Franciscan missionaries in 1746-1749 with the hope of civilizing and Christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza and other Indian tribes.
Architecture
Augusta Hofheinz House
This house was constructed in 1908 by Mead & Eastwood Lumber Co. for Augusta Hofheinz, widow of Daniel Hofheinz (1849-1903), who owned and operated a hotel he constructed in San Marcos in the late 1870s. their son, Walter (1880-1943), supervised its construction. Augusta occupied the house until her death in 1924.
History
Beef for the Confederacy
Throughout Hays County, 1861-65, as in the rest of texas, beef production for the Confederacy was a major patriotic service. Leading ranchers, called Government Stockraisers, had the duty of supplying the Commissary Department of the Army. Hays County, with its well-established cattle industry, had several men designated as C.S.A. Beef Raisers. These included James M. ("Doc") Day, John W. Day, Wm.
History
Belvin Street Historic District
This street was named in 1876 for the Rev. R. H. Belvin, president of Coronal Institute, 1870-1875. San Marcos, founded in 1845, was acquiring better architecture by the 1870s. This district now (1976) retains historic structures: the Belvin home, built 1875; the O. T. Brown house, 1878; the houses of J. S. Davis and S. R. Kone, Jr., built 1886; Mrs. A. J. Wood's home, 1888; the homes of J. F.
History
Beverly Hutchison House
Designed by German architect Charles S. Sinz; built 1896 for the Beverly Hutchison family; later owned by L. Robertson, E. O. Bethke, R. e. Miller and M. Falls, this house in the late 1920s earned its place in history as residence of a student from the Texas Hill County.
History
Blanco Chapel
Blanco Chapel 1865. Built of limestone and hand-split cypress by Ezekiel Nance. Served as church and school until 1880's. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Buda
Originally known as Du Pre, Buda was founded along a line of the International and Great Northern Railroad. Cornelia A. Trimble gave land for the townsite in 1881. The name "Buda" was adopted in the late 1880s, although its origin is unclear.
History
Buda Christian Church
Organized in 1893, the Buda Christian Church met in the Methodist church building until a church was built on this site in 1903. After it was destroyed in a 1909 storm, this structure was built in 1912. Membership began to decline in the 1940s, and the congregation eventually disbanded. the building was used by various civic groups, and in 1981 housed a non-denominational church.
History
Built in 1850's by Edw. Burleson, Jr.
Built in 1850's by Edw. Burleson, Jr., frontier fighter. Birthplace of A. S. Burleson, member of Woodrow Wilson cabinet. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Transport
Bunton Branch Bridge
Bridge No. 44, now known as the Bunton Branch Bridge, is located just north of Kyle on a north-south section of road that parallels Interstate 35, a remnant of the 1915 Austin-San Antonio post road. The bridge crosses Bunton Branch, an intermittent tributary of Plum Creek that runs in a southeast direction across Hays and Caldwell Counties.
History
Burleson Home
Home of Gen. Edward Burleson (1793-1851), officer in Texas War for Independence; vice president of Republic of Texas, 1841-1844; leader in frontier defense; state legislator. Built in 1848 of hewn elm and oak logs, roofed with hand rived boards. Had 2 large rooms, rock chimney at north end.
History
Caldwell-Kone-Hyatt House
Robert M. Caldwell (1836-84), son of pioneer Texas colonists, built this house in 1869. His wife, Mary, was a sister of Col. E. M. House (1858-1938), advisor to U. s. President Woodrow Wilson. Acquired in 1874 by the Kone family, the residence was occupied by Rebecca Pitts (Mrs. Samuel Reid) Kone (1828-1910).
History
Camp Ben McCulloch No. 946, United Confederate Veterans
Hays County Confederate veterans and their families gathered for a reunion in the summer of 1896 and formally organized the Camp Ben McCulloch Chapter of the United Confederate Veterans. The gathering took place near this site at the Martin Spring and campsite on Onion Creek.
History
Cemetery Chapel
This cemetery is located on a ten-acre tract of land sold by Judy and Shadrach Dixon to the San Marcos Cemetery Association in 1876. Built about 1890, this carpenter Gothic chapel has been the scene of many funerals and memorial services over the years, including those of Civil War, Spanish American War, and world War I veterans.
Architecture
Charles Cock Home
Erected 1867 by Chs. S. Cock (1819-1897), farmer and city mayor (1881-1883). Home is built of limestone, elm, pine, and cedar. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin
The McGehee family came to Texas from Alabama in 1847. In 1859, Charles Lewis McGehee, Jr. (1837-1929) acquired this property along the San Marcos River. He soon built a cabin (1/2 mi. E) for his wife, Sarah Jane (Humphreys), and their children. One of the oldest existing structures in this part of Hays County, the cabin features a fireplace and chimney of hand-hewn stone.
History
Cheatham-Hohenberg Cemetery
Close to the east bank of the Blanco River before its confluence with the San Marcos River, a solitary knoll protrudes from the Blackland Prairie. Its name, Indian Hill, is indicative of its historical significance going back thousands of years. The mound provided a perfect vantage point for native people to spot bison herds and potential danger.
History
Claiborne Kyle Log House
Col. John Claiborne Kyle (d. 1867) and his wife Lucy (Bugg) (d. 1863), natives of Tennessee came to the Republic of texas from Mississippi in 1844. they built this four-pen dog trot log home soon after they purchased land here in 1850. Constructed of hand-hewn cedar logs, it was located on the Austin-San Antonio stage route.
Architecture
Cora Jackman Donalson House
Cora Frances Jackman (b. 1853) was the daughter of Sidney Drake and Martha (Slavin) Jackman. Her father, a Confederate general during the Civil War and later a state representative and U.S. Marshal, settled his family in Hays County in 1865. Cora married Chauncey B. Donalson, owner of the 738-acre Live Oak Springs Ranch. After the death of her husband, Cora had Wallace Bros.
Architecture
Cumberland Presbyterian Church (Fort Street Presbyterian Church)
Cumberland Presbyterian Church (Fort Street Presbyterian Church) An architectural landmark in San Marcos, this church building exhibits Classic elements of the Gothic Revival style in its pointed arch Gothic windows, with Queen Anne influences in the fish scale shingling and octagonal towers.
History
Czichos House
Of hand-hewn cedar logs chinked with clay. built in Comal County about 1850. Home, 1858-1951, family of Dr. Adolph Schlameus, who taught area's first school, near Fischer, for settlers' children and his own 12. Moved from Canyon Lake area and restored in 1960. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla
At the request of Manuel Antonio Cordero y Bustamante, interim Governor of the Province of Texas, Spanish-born Army captain and rancher, Felipe Roque de la Portilla (1766-1841), established a colony here were El Camino Real de los Tejas crossed the San Marcos River.
History
Dr. Joseph M. Pound Homestead
Pioneer settlers Dr. Joseph M. Pound and his wife Sarah Dunbiken Ward lived here and raised nine children. Two log pens made of rough-hewn cypress logs were built in 1854 with slave labor. Additions were added over time with clapboard and board-and-batten siding and square nail construction. The house featured four cut limestone fireplaces.
History
Dr. Joseph McKeaig Pound
(1826-1914) Born to Johnathan and Mary (Risley) Pound on October 26, 1826, near Louisville, Kentucky, Joseph Pound was a Mexican-American War veteran and early Dripping Springs doctor. The Pound family moved to Illinois in 1832. Joseph and his brother, Benjamin, enlisted as privates in the First Illinois Regiment during the Mexican-American War.