History
Adams House
Attorney and plantation owner Chesley Meredith Adams (1813-1859) bought this property in the 1850s and constructed a log house. His widow Martha and her husband the Rev. J. F. Riggs built this frame residence in 1880 to replace the log structure. They transferred the property in 1889 to Martha's son Chesley Francis Adams (1856-1940).
Military
Alexander Travis Hawthorn
(January 10, 1825 - May 31, 1899) Native of Alabama, Arkansas lawyer, colonel commanding 6th Arkansas Confederate Infantry Regiment at Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee, commended for action at Helena and Fort Hindman in Arkansas, brigadier-general in Confederate Army, commended for gallantry while leading brigade in Battle of Jenkins' Ferry in Arkansas, postwar Georgia businessman, Baptist minister…
Architecture
Arnot House
Built in 1848 by Albert M. Arnot, a blacksmith, this house features characteristics of Greek revival and Creole styling. Four rooms were originally located on the main floor. The basement area, constructed above ground, housed a dining room, harness shop, and cellar. Later owners included Francis Lang, a German mill operator, Dora Bernstein (d.
History
Bailey Anderson
(1754-1840) A veteran of the American Revolution, Bailey Anderson was born in Stafford County, VA. About 1760, he moved with his parents John and Sarah (Carney) Anderson to the Newberry District of South Carolina. At 21, he was in the Revolutionary army and during the next 11 years saw service in Georgia, Virginia, and the Carolinas, fighting Indians and the British, scouting and patrolling.
History
Bishop College
Founded by the Baptist Home Mission Society in 1881, Bishop College became the second historically Black college in Marshall. Nathan Bishop, a New York native and superintendent of several Northeastern school systems, his wife, Caroline Caldwell Bishop, and several local Baptist ministers combined their funds to begin the college.
History
Booker T. Washington School
Following emancipation, African Americans formed communities along with churches, cemeteries and schools. The first school for African Americans in Elysian Fields was the Elysian Fields Colored School, a two-room building constructed in 1870. The importance of education for their children was a cornerstone of the community.
Architecture
C.G. Lancaster
Renowned architect Cornelius Granberry Lancaster was born on March 4, 1863, in the city of Marshall. He studied architecture at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) from 1892-1895, but did not complete his degree. He returned to Marshall where he began to work as an architect. Lancaster married Donye Birdsong (1866-1954) and the two had six children together.
Military
Confederate Capitol of Missouri
On this site a one-story frame house served as headquarters of the Civil War State Government of Missouri in exile. Governor Thomas C. Reynolds and his staff directed the civil and military affairs of Confederate Missourians from Marshall beginning in November, 1863 until June, 1865. The governor's mansion was in a one-story frame cottage then located directly west across the street.
History
County Line Cemetery
Early settlers to this area included: Eli Henderson McCoy, who came from North Carolina in 1859 and later served in the Confederate Army; Jeremiah Brisco Ormes, who arrived from Mississippi in the 1850s; and Jessie Pierce, who came from Georgia around 1870. These men and their families established what became known as the Crossroads community near the Harrison-Upshur county line.
History
Cumberland Presbyterians in Harrison County
In 1848 the first Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Harrison County was established when the Reverend James Sampson and 22 charter members founded a congregation in Marshall. The first pastor was the Rev. Thomas Wilson. In 1851 church trustees purchased two town lots and a sanctuary was dedicated in 1853.
History
Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan Home
This home evolved from a two-room central hall plan house built in 1841-42. The second story was completed in 1865, and the Italianate style front rooms and Eastlake style porches were added after Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan purchased the home in 1870. A native of Missouri and a Civil War veteran, Vaughan (1844-1916) served Harrison County as a physician and surgeon.
Architecture
Elks Building
Designed by noted east Texas architect Cornelius Granville Lancaster as a crown jewel of Marshall's shopping district, the 1903 Elks Building served as the headquarters for lodge 683 of the Benevolent Paternal Order of Elks. Lodge 683 organized on April 19, 1901, at Newman Hall in downtown Marshall. Soon, a building committee was established and C.G.
History
First Methodist Church
Begun by Littleton Fowler, 1839. Job M. Baker, first pastor. Organized 1845. Built 1861 on site given by Wm. M. and Mary M. Johnston. Bricks hand-molded, beams hand-hewn. Gallery in north end for slave members. Munitions stored in basement during Civil War. Bell, given to Confederacy, replaced 1865 by one stolen from Federal Army. During World War I, this sold for metal.
History
Former Site of Old Concord Methodist Church and Concord Masonic Lodge
Concord Lodge No. 77, A.F. & A.M.. was organized in 1850, receiving dispensation on Nov. 15 of that year. It was chartered Jan. 22, 1851, with 14 members: E. A. Geeter, N. M. Goode, N. Jones, J. B. Long, W. H. Luckie, J. R. McCartey, Neal McLane, S. S. Morris, W. C. Moseley, J. H. Price, R. E. Rhodes, J. L. Smith, G. W. Whitmore, A. B. Wright. The lodge met at first in the house of McCartey.
History
Forrest-Rogers-Dollahite Cemetery
This cemetery is located on the home site of Elisha T. and Sarah Vincent Forrest, who came to Texas from Tennessee about 1846. Other early settlers included the Rogers and Dollahite families who formed the community of Little Flock south of Hallsville. The cemetery name changed over the years depending on the ownership of the land. The earliest marked grave is that of Edward Tansil in 1849.
Architecture
Fraley-Garland House
Designed in the American four-square style with colonial revival detailing, this home was built for Clinton Virgil Fraley in 1896. A Confederate soldier captured and held in Union prisons during the Civil War, Fraley moved from his native Kentucky to Marshall in 1866. Here he served as deputy sheriff, tax collector, and constable. Railroad worker Wiley E.
Architecture
Fry-Barry House
Built by Fidel Bircher, this raised Greek revival style cottage was designed by W. R. D. Ward, who sold Bircher the property in 1853. Edwin James Fry (1845-1927), a native Virginian who came to Texas in 1855, bought the residence in 1872 and enlarged it to accommodate his growing family. A leading businessman and banker, Fry was a longtime Mason and member of Trinity Episcopal Church.
History
Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant
Italian-born Charles Ginocchio arrived in Marshall in 1871. He owned several properties near the T&P Railroad depot, including the site of a notorious 1879 shooting that left Maurice Barrymore wounded and fellow actor Ben Porter dead.
History
Ginocchio-Cook-Pedison House
Italian-American business leader Charles Ginocchio (1844-98) and wife Roxana settled in Marshall in 1871; built this home, 1886. Architect: C. G. Lancaster, designer of county courthouse. In Ginocchio household was a nephew, George J. Signaigo, whose parents-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Behn Cook, bought place in 1900, had Signaigos live with them until 1912, retained title until 1945.
History
Girlhood Home of Southern Beauty Lucy Holcombe Pickens
(1832-1899) Only 19th century Texas woman honored by a portrait on money-- the Confederate $100 bill. In 1850s Lucy introduced ice tea and silk hose to East Texas, in social affairs at Wyalucing-- her family's home which stood at this site and was a center for social and cultural life in a wide area of plantations.
History
Governor Edward Clark
(1815-1880) Hometown Texas First Confederate Governor Son of a Georgia governor. Came here in 1842. Member Annexation Convention, 1st and 2nd Texas Legislatures. Participant Mexican War. Secretary of State 1853-7. Elected Lieutenant Governor 1859. Made Governor 1861 upon removal of Gov. Sam Houston, who opposed secession. Clark's major activity was mobilizing Texas in cause of Confederacy.
History
Governor Edward Clark
(1815-1880) Born in Georgia. Came to Texas in 1842. Served as a member of Annexation Convention. Fought in war with Mexico. Held office as State Representative, Senator, Secretary of State, Lieutenant Governor; Governor in 1861. Raised and led 14th Texas Infantry Regiment in Red River campaigns of Civil War. Wounded in Battle of Pleasant Hill, 1865. Was a lawyer and businessman after the war.
History
Greenwood Cemetery
(Dedicated 1881) Originated 1840 as private burial ground, Van Zandt family. Resting place, many early Texas leaders and patriots: Isaac Van Zandt (1813-47), came to Marshall in 1839. County named in his honor. James Harper Starr (1809-90), land commissioner, banker, land agent, county named for him. Matthew Duncan Ector (1822-79), brigadier general CSA, lawyer, county named for him.
History
H. B. Pemberton
Henry Bertram Pemberton was born on January 20, 1867 to Charles and Eliza Pemberton. In 1876, Charles and his family moved to Marshall and purchased a house near Wiley College. He died in 1883, leaving Henry to care for his mother and sisters. Henry graduated magna cum laude from Wiley in 1888. Following graduation, he married Norella Hawley, also a graduate of Wiley.
Architecture
Hagerty-Harris House
Texas & Pacific Railroad shop craftsmen built this residence of handpressed bricks in 1889 for William P. Hagerty (1844-1906), personal engineer of T. & P. President George J. Gould. Stenciled canvas ceilings decorate some rooms. Hagerty, who fled his native Ireland as a rebel, married Mollie Allbright (d. 1907) and had five children.