History
Andrew Jackson Montgomery
Born in Alabama in 1805. Came to Texas in 1830 with his brother John. Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto as a member of Captain James Gillaspie's Company. Erected by the State of Texas 1957 [supplemental plate: Born in Tennessee in 1801 Came to Texas in 1819]
History
Andrew Jackson Montgomery
(Apr. 4, 1801 - Dec. 3, 1863) Born in Blount County, Tennessee, Andrew Jackson Montgomery came to Texas in 1819 with the James Long Expedition. In 1823, as the first known settler in Montgomery County, he opened a trading post at the crossing of two Indian trails. From his post emerged the town of Montgomery from which Montgomery County took its name.
History
Apolonia Cemetery
Known as Pine Grove for the Baptist church that was focus for community in the area, this burial ground was in use in 1860s. Tombstone of Mrs. Harriet Hobdy Kelley is dated 1869, but there may be earlier, unmarked graves. Land donors were (1886) J. L. and Eveline Mansfield. War veterans here: the Confederates Richard Butler, Henderson Green, and W. T. Wasson; also Wasson's son, Brosig T.
History
Blackberry Community
Settlers mostly from the Lower South (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia) settled this part of Grimes County near John's Creek. By the late 19th century, Blackberry became a largely African-American settlement. Most families raised livestock and such crops as cotton and corn. At its peak, the community also boasted a cotton gin, grist mill and stores.
History
Courtney Cemetery
Located on land which is adjacent to the 1873 subdivision of Courtney known as McAlpine Town, this cemetery was established by developer Dugald McAlpine (1795-1876). The oldest documented grave in the cemetery is that of W. S. Draper (1828-1873). There are some unmarked graves which may date from an earlier period.
History
Dr. Benjamin Briggs Goodrich
[front] Born in Brunswick Co, Va. February 24, 1799, Died at Anderson, Texas, November 16, 1860. His wife Serena Crothers Born in Barren County, Ky. May 11, 1807, Died April 27, 1884. Erected by the State of Texas [back] Dr. Goodrich was a member of the Consultation at San Felipe in 1835 and a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence at Washington March 2, 1836.
Architecture
Evans House
Newlyweds John Thomas and Maude Martin Evans built this house in 1894 on land given to them by his mother. A ticket agent for the International and Great Northern Railway Company, Evans also served the city of Navasota as alderman and city treasurer.
History
Fanthorp Inn
Built in 1834 by Henry Fanthorp as a home for his bride, Rachel Kennard. Enlarged for hotel purpose. Served as first mercantile establishment and first post office (1835) in the region. Here Kenneth Lewis Anderson, vice-president of the Republic of Texas, died July 3, 1845. Stage lines from Houston to Old Springfield and Nacogdoches to Austin crossed here.
History
First Presbyterian Church of Navasota
Organized in 1866, drawing members from old church at Washington, Texas. First building, erected in 1876, was replaced in 1894 by this Victorian edifice finely crafted in the taste of its English builders. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Architecture
Foster Home
Mattie Brigance Foster, daughter of Grimes County settler Franklin Brigance, had this home built in 1900 shortly after the death of her husband. Incorporating elements of the colonial revival and shingle styles, the house is of cypress frame construction and features a multi-gabled roof. Its design is indicative of the movement away from the elaborate detailing of the Victorian era.
History
Fuqua Family Cemetery
FUQUA FAMILY CEMETERY FUQUA FAMILY CEMETERY WAS NAMED FOR THE EPHRAIM FUQUA FAMILY, ONE OF THE EARLIEST FAMILIES TO SETTLE IN THE AREA. EPHRAIM FUQUA RECEIVED A LAND PATENT FROM THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS IN 1841 AND DONATED A PORTION OF THE PROPERTY FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CEMETERY. THE BURIAL GROUND IS SITUATED APPROXIMATELY 400 FEET SOUTH OF EPHRAIM FUQUA'S ORIGINAL HOMESITE.
History
Grimes County
On road used 1690 by Spanish explorer Alonso de Leon. In 1821 Andrew Millican began settlement. Henry Fanthorp opened his inn 1834, a post office 1835. Kenneth Anderson, last Vice-President, Republic of Texas, died at Fanthorp's, 1845. After his burial here town was named for him. County created and organized 1846.
History
Grimes County Bethel Cemetery
During the Republic of Texas era, settlers in this area came together to form the Bethel community. In 1843, a visitor died of smallpox and was buried at this site, which became Bethel Cemetery. Among those buried here is Sarah Bradley Dodson, known as the 'Betsy Ross of Texas.' Part of an 'Old 300' family from Stephen F.
Architecture
Grimes County Courthouse
Unique Victorian Texas public building. Third courthouse here. Site, in an 1824 land grant from Mexico, was donated 1850 by Henry Fanthorp, first permanent settler in county. Built 1891 of hand-molded brick with native stone trim. Vault is same one used in previous buildings; has twice withstood fires. Tried here in 1930s, a Clyde Barrow gang member vowed he'd see court in infernal regions.
Military
Grimes County, C.S.A.
Civil War military concentration point for troops and ordnance. Rich farm land. By 1861 densely populated. Favored secession by 907 to 9 vote. Sent 5 cavalry, 4 infantry companies to Confederate Army. Arms and ordnance works at Anderson produced cannon, cannon balls, guns, pistols, swords, sabres, bayonets, and gunpowder. Military telegraph line from Houston to Marshall crossed the county.
History
Harmony Baptist Church and Cemetery
Soon after John Moore McGinty (1823-1888) and his wife Mary Loretta Brown settled in Stoneham in 1853, they organized the Grimes Prairie Baptist Church. About 1859 the congregation moved to a schoolhouse in this area and changed the name to "Harmony". This property was acquired from Blake and Peggy Brantley, and the first church house erected in 1870.
History
Haynie-Sanders Farm Home
Thomas Jefferson Haynie and his wife Sarah Jane migrated to this area from Georgia in 1855. With the aid of slaves, they constructed their two-story Texas style home at this site, using native pine, post oak, and rock. Haynie was influential in area politics and provided land for the establishment of the Fairview School. In 1923 the farm was purchased by Dr.
History
Home of Lt. Gov. George D. Neal
(Oct. 7, 1853 - July 13, 1916) Born in Amelia County, Va. The Neal Family moved to Washington County, Texas, in 1866. Neal, after attending Baylor University, was admitted to the Bar in 1876. He married Fannie C. Brooks in Oct. 1880, moved to Navasota in 1881, and purchased this residence in 1883. The couple had 3 children.
History
Hughey Chapel Cemetery
The family of Jefferson Edmond Hughey lived in this area by 1859, settling on a 260-acre homestead. Family members established a cemetery at this site, where the earliest marked burial, that of Mary Ann Garmany Boozer, Hughey's mother-in-law, dates to 1876. In the vicinity of the burial ground, the Hugheys built a chapel that also served area families as a schoolhouse.
History
In Memory of_Colonel Benjamin Fort Smith_and all other pioneers
(FRONT) In memory of Colonel Benjamin Fort Smith, Dr. Robert C. Neblett, veterans of The War of 1812; Colonel Benjamin F. Smith, veteran of the Black Hawk War, 1832; Jared E. Groce, Joshua Hadley, William Robinson, delegates to the First Convention of Texas, 1832; Jared E. Groce, Francis Holland, Jesse Grimes, delegates to the Second Convention of Texas, 1833; Joshua Hadley, Dr. George M.
Architecture
Isham Davis Home
Built 1848. Has hand-hewn cedar in log foundation, ceilings and beams. For 115 years in family of Isham D. Davis, whose wife, Martha, was a daughter of Mathew Caldwell, one of the signers of Texas Declaration of Independence. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
Architecture
James and Missouri Hurry House
Alabama native James Monroe Hurry (1857-1941) and his wife Missouri Valunia Woodcock, a native of Georgia, built this house with the assistance of several of their neighbors about 1904 to support their growing family. Typical of early 20th century vernacular architecture, the Hurry House retains a high level of integrity and features bungalow detailing and a full porch in its L-plan design.
Architecture
Jesse Youens Home
Jesse Youens home built 1871 in style of Youens' home, "Tower Cottage", Dartford, Kent, England, occupied by his family continuously. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
John Montgomery
Native of Alabama. Came to Texas in 1830 with his brother Andrew. Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto as a member of Captain James Gillaspie's Company. Erected by the State of Texas 1957. [supplemental plate covers "with his brother Andrew"]
Architecture
Joseph Brooks Home
A native of England, Joseph Brooks (1831-89) migrated to Texas with his wife Mary Ann (Farrer) (1833-1900) in 1853. After serving in the Civil War, Brooks moved to Navasota, where he survived an 1867 yellow fever epidemic and became a leading area lumberman. In the 1870s he had this home built for his family.