Military
Fort Waul
Named for Confederate General Thomas N. Waul, Fort Waul was built to defend inland Texas from possible Federal advances up the Guadalupe River from the Gulf of Mexico, as well as to provide protection for military supply trains. Construction of the earthen fortification was overseen by Col. Albert Miller Lea, Confederate army engineer.
History
Gonzales Cannon
On this site September 29, 1835, the Mexican government troops demanded the return of the Gonzales cannon. After two days delay, awaiting recruits, the colonists answered, "Come and Take It."
History
Gonzales Cannon Burial Site
On this site September 29, 1835 the Gonzales cannon was buried from the 150 Mexican Dragoons sent to Demand it. Two days later it was mounted on ox-cart wheels, loaded with chains and scrap iron, and fired at the Mexican Army, the first shot of the Revolution. This location was known as George W. Davis Peach Orchard.
History
Gonzales City Cemetery
By tradition, remains of early settlers buried at first in Cemetery Square, inner town of Gonzales, rest here in a common grave. Others buried here include key men in Texas Revolution, Dr. George W. Barnett, Maj. Valentine Barnett ( quartermaster ), and Matthew Caldwell.
History
Gonzales Courthouse
In county organized 1837, first courthouse burned 1893. This second one was built 1894-1896 at cost of $64,450. Headquarters for many Texas leaders; scene of important court decisions. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Green Dewitt Cemetery
Green Dewitt Cemetery Green (1787-1835) and Sarah (Seely) (1789-1854) Dewitt moved their family from Missouri to Texas in 1826 after he successfully petitioned the Mexican government for an Empresario Grant to settle 400 Anglo-Americans on lands southwest of Stephen F. Austin's colony.
History
Greenwood Cemetery
James Jackson Hodges (1828-1902), born in Tennessee, was a grandson of James Hodges, Sr., a delegate to the 1835 convention at San Felipe de Austin. James Jackson Hodges married Martha Pritchett in 1849. They settled in this area and built the local schoolhouse, which also served as a Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
History
Harwood Cemetery
The town of Harwood was founded in 1875 as a stop on the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railroad. Land was designated for a cemetery when town lots were platted. The oldest marked grave is that of I. M. Shelton, a Civil War veteran who died April 14, 1877. According to local tradition, Shelton was struck by lightning as the worked on the railroad.
History
Harwood Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge
After the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad established Harwood in 1875, this community meetinghouse was built. The first floor was used for Methodist worship services and housed a school. The Harwood Masonic Lodge No. 468 met on the second floor from Oct. 7, 1876, until 1962 when it joined the Hopkinsville Lodge at Waelder. The church continues to serve the area.
History
Holmes Hospital
A native of Gonzales County, Dr. George Holmes (1881-1948) began practicing medicine in Gonzales in 1915. His dream of a fully equipped hospital for the county seat was realized with the completion of this hospital building in 1921. Constructed by contractor Fred Miesenhelder, the two-story red brick building features a Spanish tile roof and a bracketed porch.
History
Hopkinsville Lodge No. 183, A.F. & A.M.
After migrating from his native Georgia, Dennis Sheffield Hopkins (1819-1917) founded the community of Hopkinsville (5 miles NW) in 1852. He helped organize this Masonic Lodge there in 1855. The thriving village also had a grist mill, gin, several businesses, churches, and a school.
History
Indian Fort, Site of
An Indian raid July 2, 1826, left one Gonzales settler dead, another shot, homes plundered. Settlers fled to Burnham Station on the Colorado, or moved to Lavaca River. In 1827 DeWitt's Colonist were ordered back here. On this lot they built a fort for security.
History
J. W. and Nannie C. Bailey House
J.W Bailey (1825-1899) built this home in 1897-98 as a residence for his wife Nannie C. Green (1851-1936) and family. Inherited by their daughter Indian Bailey Kerr and her husband John A. Kerr in 1936, the house remained in the family until 1948.
History
Jail Square
First mapped in 1825 as "Market Square," but had become "Jail Square" prior to 1836 when Gonzales was burned by order of Gen. San Houston to prevent buildings and supplies falling into possession of oncoming enemy, Gen. Santa Anna.
History
James Hodges, Sr.
James Hodges, Sr., came to Gonzales in April 1835. Soon after his arrival he purchased four leagues (17,721 acres) of land at the forks of the San Marcos and Guadalupe Rivers for $3,000 in silver. On September 26, 1835, in a election held under the auspices of the Gonzales Committee of Public Safety, Hodges was elected one of six delegates to the Consultation of 1835.
History
James W. Robinson
First Lieutenant Governor of Texas James W. Robinson (1800-1857) Born in Indiana. Came to Texas in 1833. Elected lieutenant governor in November, 1835, Served as governor January to March 1836, then fought as a private in the Battle of San Jacinto April 21, 1836. Later lived in Gonzales, was judge of the fourth judicial district, and member of Supreme Court.
History
Jesse Kencheloe Davis
A San Jacinto veteran, born in Alabama, January 11,1802. Died December 28, 1869. His wife Eliza Davis born in Alabama, May 12, 1819. Died January 11, 1875.
History
Kennard House
Built 1895 by James B. and Anna Jones Kennard. Of "Queen Anne" style, house remained until 1963 in Kennard family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 Incise on base: Restored 1965-67 by Mr. and Mrs. Julius A. Bauch
History
Kerr's Creek
Commissioned to found a capital for colony of Green DeWitt, ex-Missouri state senator James Kerr settled here. He and six other men built homes on this stream--known ever since as Kerr's Creek. After a destructive Indian raid in 1826, the settlement was abandoned.
History
Leesville School
Settled prior to the Civil War, the community of Leesburg, later known as Leesville, was a thriving trade and supply center for the region when this one-room brick schoolhouse was constructed in 1868. The building site was conveyed to stockholders of the Leesburg Male and Female Institute in 1873 by Mrs. M. C. Hubbard.
History
Market Square
First mapped in 1825 as "Jail Square," but became Market Square prior to 1836, and has served this purpose ever since; while that block, first mapped as "Market Square," became "Jail Square." The squares of Gonzales. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Masonic Cemetery
Masonic Cemetery The Gonzales Masonic Lodge No. 30 A.F. & A.M., chartered January 1847, purchased 11 acres here for use as a cemetery in 1849, adding to the property in 1903. Two graves, those of Calligula Walker (d. 1846) and Allen Walker (d. 1848), predate the lodge's ownership of the site.
History
Military Plaza
To comply with wishes of governor of Coahuila and Texas, the 1825 plans for Gonzales followed usual plans for Spanish towns. Surveyed by James Kerr, agent for colony's contractor, Green DeWitt, and Kerr's assistant, Byrd Lockhart. This was named Military Plaza.
History
Miller's Store
Erected 1900-1901 by R. L. Miller and Sons. Now owned by 4th generation of family. First store established 1866. Unique bannister features wooden balls carved by the contractor "Cap" Smith. Bullet holes in awning testify to rowdy early era. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968.
History
Mitchel Putnam
Veteran, Texas War for Independence. Wounded at San Jacinto, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas 1962