History
Pedernales Rural School
The Pedernales community, established here by German immigrant farmers in the 1840s, was joined with the Live Oak community to form a school district in 1854. Sometime prior to 1875 a native stone schoolhouse was built at this site. State funds and tuition supported the 1-teacher, 7-grade school.
History
Pioneer Schandua House
Built before 1880, this house was purchased by John Schandua, a local merchant, shortly after his marriage to Bertha (Klein) in 1883. The front room, called "die stube," served as a bedroom and living area. the back room was used as a bedroom for their children. gingerbread work accents the posts on the front porch.
History
Ressmann-Boos House
An evolution of pioneer building methods is evident in thishome. The earliest part, built about 1845, is of fachwerk construction typical in early German houses. Later additions were of log and clapboard frame construction. Early area settlers Christian and Katharina Ressmann purchased the home in 1866 and in 1946 members of their family sold it to Hilmar and Christine Boos.
History
Riley-Enderlin House
This simply designed vernacular home was built in 1909 by Franz Stein for Emil H. and Bertha Riley. In 1912 the home was purchased by Charles Enderlin, Sr. (1846-1931) and remained in the Enderlin family for over seventy years. A German immigrant and Civil War veteran, Enderlin modified the home soon after he bought it to accommodate his large family.
History
Schmidt-Dietz Building
Ludwig Schmidt constructed this two-story stone building in the 1860s for use as a hotel. In the early 1890s it was leased to Louis Dietz, who ran the business as the Central Hotel and later as the Dietz Hotel. His home east of the structure provided space for the hotel kitchen and dining room. Merchant Charles Schwarz bought the property in 1899 and opened a store here.
History
Schmidt-Gold House
This home was built in the 1860s by german stonemason Lorenz Schmidt, a pioneer settler in the Adelsverein colony and builder of many early structures, including the Vereins Kirche. Originally a story-and-a-half, the house was enlarged to two floors in 1902 by Jacob Gold, Sr., a local business leader and founder of Rheingold community in eastern Gillespie County.
History
Schneider-Klingelhoefer House
Built about 1870 for watchmaker and stonemason Ludwig Schneider, this home features German fachwerk construction. Owned by builder Louis Preiss from 1883 to 1890, it was acquired in 1924 by banker Arthur Klingehoefer, who lived here from 1925 until his death.
History
Schwarz Building
This limestone commercial building was constructed in 1907 by Charles Schwarz, a prominent early merchant of the area, and his wife Mary. Located on the site of the Louis Dietz home, it included ground floor space for Schwarz' General Merchandise and Dry Goods store and second floor living quarters for his family.
Military
Site of Fort Martin Scott
Established by the United States Army, December 5, 1848, as a protection to travelers and settlers against Indian attack. Named in honor of Major Martin Scott, brevet lieutenant colonel, 5th United States Infantry, killed at Molino Del Ray, September 8, 1847. Its garrison participated in many Indian skirmishes. Occupied intermittently after 1852. Held by the confederates, 1861-65.
History
Site of The Andreas Lindig Lime Kiln
First kiln, eastern Gillespie County. Built 1874 by Andreas Lindig, trained in his native Germany in quicklime making. On his homestead, he found rock to be hauled to this site by ox-wagon, using 7 loads of rock for each "batch" of lime. Post oak wood, burned in a cooking bed, produced high heat which produced the lime. Besides that for his own use, he made lime commercially for neighbors.
History
Site of the McDonald Massacre
Pioneer preacher Matthew Taylor and the families of his daughter and two sons moved here in 1863 from their homestead on the Llano River. They built a cabin on this site near the source of the Pedernales River. In August 1864, Matthew and his son Jim returned to the Llano for a load of hay, leaving in charge Eli McDonald, husband of Matthew's daughter Caroline.
History
Site of Zodiac
A Mormon settlement. Established in 1847 by 150 Mormons under the leadership of Lyman Wight (1796-1858). Abandoned in 1851 after floods destroyed their mill. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Squaw Creek Cemetery
On their way west from Arkansas to California about 1856, the family of Francis Marion Nixon and his wife, Catherine Elliot, was forced to detour south from the North Texas Plains to this area to obtain water and forage for their livestock.
History
St. Barnabas Episcopal Church
Originally one of earliest homes in Fredericksburg. built by German settler Peter Walter. Walter built log cabin on lot, then began permanent home of fachwerk construction, 1846. He owned and farmed surrounding land while plying his trade of wagoner to Fort McKavett. House was bought by parish formed in 1952. Restored as a mission, it was consecrated by Bishop Everett H. Jones on St.
History
St. James Lutheran Church
In 1908, the first Lutheran missionary to the area, Rev. C. Stadler, came to Harper. In April 1910, he confirmed the first class of Lutheran young people. When there was no missionary assigned to the area, Lutheran pastors from neighboring congregations came to serve.
Architecture
St. John's Lutheran Church
Pioneer families of Crabapple organized this church in the 1880s. Members met in a school building before erecting this sanctuary in 1897. Elder Julius Rusche supervised the design, carpentry, and native limestone masonry construction.
History
St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery
In November 1883, residents of the North Grape Creek community, later known as Cave Creek, formed a German Lutheran congregation, which they named St. Paulus Evangelische Gemeinde an Nord Grape Creek. Conrad Herbort gave land for a sanctuary, cemetery and parsonage. The first burial in the cemetery dates to March 1884, and grave markers feature German inscriptions and ornate ironwork.
History
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Oldest rural Lutheran church in Gillespie County. The Rev. M. Haag served as first pastor. Charter members numbered 17. A frame building with walls of rough boxing planks was dedicated June 22, 1884. Size: 25 x 30 feet with a 40-foot tower. Cost: $600. In 1890 building was enlarged, interior finished, beaded ceiling installed.
Architecture
St. Peter Lutheran Church
Organized by German Lutherans in September 1896 under a brush arbor at nearby Lange's Mill, this church has been part of Gillespie County history for over 100 years. A frame church building erected in 1898 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure in 1912-1913.
History
Stonewall Community Cemetery
Stonewall Community Cemetery This cemetery originally served the settlement of Millville, laid out by Israel Nunez, who operated a stage stop in the vicinity after the Civil War. Although he set aside land for the cemetery, it was not formally deeded until 1934 by J.O. Walker. The earliest marked gravesite is that of William Jacobs (d. 1879).
History
Sunday Houses
Small townhouse built by German settlers who lived in distant rural areas. Used over weekends by families while they traded or attended church. A typical early Sunday House had one room with a lean-to kitchen and a half story above, which was reached by outside stairway or ladder. Built during 1890s-1920s, most Sunday Houses were frame but some were rock.
Military
Texas Ranger General E. Kirby Smith, C.S.A.
(1824-1893) Born in Florida. Graduated from West Point. Fought in Mexican War. On the Texas frontier in the 1850s, commanded Camps Belknap, Cooper and Colorado. In 1860 and many years afterwards was a partner of J. M. Hunter of Fredericksburg in a Texas ranch. Resigned from U. S. Army, 1861, to serve Confederacy. Was appointed 1863, to command all the area west of the Mississippi.
History
The August Hennersdorf House
August and Johanne Hennersdorf migrated to Fredericksburg from Prussia in 1855. In the early 1900s they constructed this frame and limestone residence for their family. Evidence indicates the floor joists under the frame portion of the home may be the octagonal wooden columns from Fredericksburg's original vereins Kirche, which had been dismantled in 1896.
History
The Burrer Home
German native Gottlieb Burrer (1830-1916) migrated to this area in 1854. Here he married Katharina (Zammert) (1843-1931), the daughter of a pioneer Fredericksburg family. They built this two-story stone residence in the 1860s. The interior originally included an undivided sleeping area on the second floor and was heated by woodburning stoves.
History
The Carl Henke Home
Believed to be the first boy born among the German immigrants who settled Fredericksburg, Carl Henke (1848-1928) became a skilled stonemason. He built the original portion of this structure in 1874 for John Schmitt. the two-room native limestone house has a loft reached by an outside stairway. In the 1880s, Henke purchased the residence for his own use. A wing was added to the west side in 1911.