Architecture
C. W. Post Home
Home built 1912 by C. W. Post, Cereal Foods millionaire, founder of town of Post, who promoted Texas settlement and agriculture by selling land on liberal terms, founding industries. With theme, "I Want Quality", Post installed solid oak doors, woodwork, redwood' floors, leather wallpaper. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
History
C. W. Post Rain Battles
Site of 1911-1914 dynamiting to produce rain, carried on by C. W. Post, Texas farm colonizer and cereal foods millionaire. After reading that rain often accompanies cannonading in war, Post planned "battles" to relieve droughts. He thought vertical air currents would condense vapor in atmosphere and cause rain.
History
Charles W. Post
(1854-1914) Internationally known creator of Post Cereals, advertising genius, inventor and innovator, founder of Post City in 1906. Through the purchase of the Curry Comb Ranch and adjacent land approximating 225,000 acres he began his dream of building self-contained model community of towns and farms. Mr. Post financed, supervised and built town without profit to himself.
Industry & Science
Dry-Land Farming
This low rainfall area, limited usually to grazing, was colonized in 1907 by C. W. Post, creator of Post Foods and a philanthropist. By introducing new agricultural techniques, he was able to make farming profitable for colonists. Cotton, milo maize, Indian corn, and oats were grown here. Post also experimented with several types of fruits and vegetables.
Nature
Duffy's Peak
Height so prominent it was Garza County's earliest bench mark, designated by peg-legged surveyor Jasper Hays, who in 1877-1878 was marking bounds of Llano Ranch, first property to be occupied by settlers in county. Hays began at a corner established for the Houston and Great Northern Railroad Company near the White River in Crosby County, and shot west toward this peak.
History
Garza County
Created in 1876, attached to Borden County 1891-1907. Organization came July 8, 1907 at the OS Ranch. According to legend, even the horses "voted" to gain the required 75 ballots. First court was held under a tent; first courthouse built in 1908.
History
Garza County
Named in honor of The Garza family natives of the Canary Islands. Pioneer settlers of San Antonio in 1731. A cattle raising county since its settlement, agricultural since 1910. Textile mills established in 1912. Post, the county seat. 1965
Architecture
Garza County Courthouse
After Garza County's creation in 1876, it was not until 1907, at the initiative of cereal producer C. W. Post, that the county was formally organized. In 1922, when the population had grown to about 4500 and the cotton industry had spurred economic growth, citizens approved the sale of bonds to finance a new courthouse.
Industry & Science
Garza County's First Oil Well
(3 1/2 miles east) After several unsuccessful ventures from 1911 to 1919, the first oil producer in the county was completed on J.M. Boren property at Justiceburg in 1926. The well was begun in 1924 by Phelps, Caldwell and Blackwell Oil Company. It produced a total of 1,641 barrels before it was abandoned in 1932.
History
Garza Points
Thin, triangular arrow points 2 to 4 centimeters long. Of fine workmanship, with central basal notch and deeply serrated edges. Discovered and named here, site 41GR40, an archeological highway salvage dug in 1959 by South Plains Archeological Society.
History
J. M. Boren Home
Built in 1908 of lumber hauled 75 miles. Boren was first county judge, a rancher, bank director, civic leader. Hospitality of home was well known to area pioneers and cowboys visiting town. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
Nature
Llano Estacado
Stretching across the horizon as a range of flat-topped mountains is the Cap Rock Escarpment, eastern boundary of the vast Llano Estacado or 'Staked Plains.' The Llano, one of the world's most perfect plains regions, is an elongated oval extending from north to south. Some three quarters of it, 20 million acres, are in Texas. The remainder is in eastern New Mexico.
History
Llano Ranch
The Llano Ranch containing 192 sections of land was established in 1880. Known as the "Curry Comb" from their cattle brand, two bars over the letter T. The first dwelling was a half dugout covered with buffalo hides. The first frame house in the area, a two story, built in 1883, was the center of social activities. Here in 1884, a baby girl was born to Jim and Della Browning McCommis.
History
Mrs. Merriweather Post
Daughter of C. W. Post. Lived in Texas 1888-1891. Had part with father in locating colony here 1906; rescued local economy by aid after 1917 drought. Co-donor, site for Post Recreation Center. Donor, South Plains Council Boy Scouts Camp; books and paintings to South Plains College. A leading philanthropist in arts and humanities. Benefactress, C. W.
History
Old Close City School
Built 1908 as a commissary school in colony of C. W. Post, cereal magnate. Named for his son-in-law, E. B. Close. In 1910, moved to this site. Became a common school district, 1916; independent district, 1918. First story was built 1919; second, 1921. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968.
Architecture
Old Post High School
Built 1928, incorporating in lower walls native Garza County stones from the town's first (1909) school, erected soon after the founding of city of Post. This historic preservation occurred under leadership of Supt. John E. Watson, outstanding educator, veteran of World War I service in the heroic Rainbow Division.
History
Old Post Sanitarium
First hospital in this part of West Texas. Built in 1912 by Double U Company of C. W. Post, cereals millionaire. Finest facilities: X-ray laboratory, operating and sterilizing rooms, nurses' training, diet kitchen, all rooms private, with steam heat. Recorded Texas Historic Landmak, 1964.
History
OS Ranch
Founded on open range, 1878, brand was owned in 1881 by R. H. Overall. Acquired 1901 by W. E. Connell, who had about 200 sections of land. Ranch house a community center - for barbecues, roundups, parties. In 1907 it was site of election organizing Garza County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
History
Post
Founded 1907 by industrialist C. W. Post. Early abundant water supply by windmills above Caprock. Later from White River Lake. Extensive ranching and farming. Postex Cotton Mills, making sheets and pillowcases, furnish year-round employment. Service center for over 1,750 oil wells in county. 1967
Transport
Post Santa Fe Depot
After founding Post City in 1907, cereal manufacturer Charles William Post attracted railroads to the town, eventually convincing the Santa Fe Railroad to lay tracks on 1910. The following year, the company built the Post Santa Fe Depot. Designed by noted architect Louis Curtiss, the depot was constructed with reinforced concrete and terra cotta tiles.
Industry & Science
Postex Cotton Mill
Established 1912 by C. W. Post, creator of Post Cereals and a philanthropist. Mill was a part of Post's dream of diversified income for Garza County farmers and prosperity for town of Post. Mill--one of world's first to process cotton from raw state to finished product--had cotton gin and bleachery plus spinning, weaving and sewing rooms.
Industry & Science
Postex Cotton Mill
Founded in 1912 by C. W. Post to provide a cotton market and employment for local people. First to combine all the processes from ginned cotton to finished products. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
History
Site of Graham School
Second school in the county. Established in 1904 as Graham Chapel School; named for local settler Newt Graham. A school was built on land given by Joe McMahon. Early trustees: McMahon, J.F. Maxey, and J.I. Wilbourn. Second building was erected 1915. Upon consolidation with Gossett School in 1930, a brick building was constructed here and named Graham School. It had first gymnasium in the county.
History
Terrace Cemetery Gateway
From "Double U", "Lazy S", Conneil and Currycomb Ranch canyons, round rocks were collected and made into gate piers in 1908 when cereal king C. W. Post founded Post City. George Samson designed and with fellow Scotsman James Napier built the gateway. Samson was a community leader 50 years. 1964
Architecture
The Post-Hundley House
Charles W. Post (1854-1914), famed cereal manufacturer who founded this community as a model town, occupied this residence during his frequent visits here. Employees of the Double U Company constructed the cottage in 1907 using native stone hand-quarried in the nearby Caprock. The design was drawn by a member of Post's staff in Battle Creek, Michigan. After 1917, the J.L.