History
The Mexican Telegraph Company_The Zimmermann Telegram
In 1917, with World War I at a stalemate, German military leaders adopted an aggressive strategy to strike any ships, even those of neutral nations, encountered in the Atlantic. As part of a campaign to hinder entry of the U.S.
History
The Moody Home
Family residence, W. L. Moody, Jr. built about 1894, and for many years home of Mr. Moody, prominent financier and philanthropist who established the Moody Foundation. Late Victorian architecture said to have been first Texas residence built on steel frame. Has magnificent stained glass windows, ornate ceilings, rare handcarved woodwork. A large handsome home, famed for its hospitality.
History
The Original Galveston Seawall
On Sept. 8, 1900 a devastating hurricane and tidal wave destroyed much of Galveston and left 6000 persons dead. After the tragedy, the city appointed a board of three engineers, Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Henry M. Robert (1837-1923), author of "Robert's Rules of Order," Alfred Noble, and H. C. Ripley, to devise protection from future storms.
History
The Rev. Henry P. Young
(October 2, 1817 - September 12, 1901) Born Heinrich P. Jung in Germany in 1817, the Rev. Henry P. Young began a Methodist ministry in Galveston in 1846. That year he founded the first society of German Methodists in Texas. From 1849 to 1855 he rode a mission circuit of German colonies in Central Texas. He returned to Galveston by 1856.
Civic & Local
The Rosenberg Library
The oldest free public library in continuous operation in Texas. Established and endowed in 1900 by the will of Henry Rosenberg (1824-1893), a native of Switzerland who came to Galveston in 1843 and achieved prominence as a banker and merchant.
History
The Rt. Rev. Monsignor James Martin Kirwin
(July 1, 1872 - January 24, 1926) A native of Circleville, Ohio, young Catholic priest James Martin Kirwin arrived in Galveston in 1896. He was soon appointed Vicar General of the Diocese of Galveston by Bishop Nicholas A. Gallagher. As rector of St. Mary's Cathedral, Father Kirwin's work as a civic and religious leader was felt throughout the city.
History
The Rt. Rev. Monsignor Marius Etienne Chataignon
(September 17, 1886 - November 18, 1957) A native of France, Marius Etienne Chataignon served in the French army before coming to the United States in 1907. He came to Texas in 1910 to attend St. Mary's Seminary in La Porte. After his ordination, he was appointed assistant pastor at St. Mary's Cathedral in Galveston in 1911. Chataignon served as a chaplain in the U. S.
Architecture
The Stewart Building
Julius Kauffman (1856-1935) and Julius Runge (1851-1906), second generation owners of a commission firm established in 1842, had architect Eugene T. Heiner design this renaissance revival building in the north Italian mode. Contractor Robert Palisser completed the structure in 1882.
History
The Texas City Disaster
On April 16, 1947, three ships--the "Grandcamp", the "High Flyer", and the "Wilson B. Keene"--were docked in the Texas City port. They were loaded with cargo, including ammonium nitrate fertilizer, bound for Europe to assist in the Post-World War II recovery effort. At 8:33 a. m. the Texas City fire department responded to a call for assistance with a fire on the "Grandcamp".
History
The Wilbur Cherry House
New York native Wilbur Cherry (1819-1873), a veteran of the Texas revolution, had this two-story home built about 1852. A pioneer Texas newspaperman, Cherry had earlier helped establish a local paper, now the "Galveston Daily News. His residence, one of the oldest on the island, features a distinctive three-bay double gallery with square pillars. Cherry's widow Catherine (d.
History
Thomas Chubb House
This two-story Greek revival residence was constructed in the 1850s. During the Civil War it was the home of Commodore Thomas Chubb (1811-1890), a veteran of the Texas Revolution. Captured by Union naval forces on Galveston Bay, he returned to the city following the war and served as the port's harbor master. Later owners of the house include wholesaler John C.
History
Thomas Henry Borden
Site of the home of Thomas Henry Borden one of the "Old Three Hundred" of Austin's colonies. Surveyed the town of Galveston. Editor and one of the founders in 1835 of the "Telegraph and Texas Register. Born in Norwich, New York, January 28, 1804;died in Galveston, Texas March 17, 1877.
History
Thomas Joseph
(Feb. 11, 1823 - Mar. 10, 1905) Born in Hartford, Conn., Thomas Miller Joseph came to Galveston about 1841 with his mother Annis (Rogers) (d. 1879) and the family of his Uncle Alexander Edgar. Admitted to the bar, he became a Democratic Party leader, serving as chief justice (county judge), major, state legislator, and senator. He and his wife Mary Minor (Trueheart) (d. 1885) had eight children.
Architecture
Trube House
This Danish castle-inspired home was built in 1890 by John Clement Trube, who came in his youth from Kiel, Denmark. His architect was Alfred Muller. A successful businessman, trube married Veronica Durst, an heir of early Texan Peter Durst; Family had nine children. "Castle" has withstood many gulf storms: Is still owned and occupied by members of Trube family.
Architecture
Trueheart-Adriance Building
Designed in neo-renaissance, high Victorian style by Nicholas J. Clayton, noted architect, for H. M. Trueheart & Co., first chartered realty firm in Texas, founded by John O. Trueheart in 1857. H. M. Trueheart joined his father in 1866, admitted John Adriance as a partner in 1871, and built this structure in 1882. After H. M.
History
U. S. Army Camp at Texas City
An increasing number of disturbances along Texas' Rio Grande border after Civil War broke out in Mexico in 1910 prompted U. S. President William Taft to consider increasing the U. S. Military presence in the area. Hugh B. Moore, Texas City terminal railway executive, and Augustus B. Wolvin, developer of Texas City's port and owner of a steamship line, persuaded U. S.
Military
U. S. Naval Air Station (Blimp Base)
(Seven-tenths mile south) In an effort to defend U. S. coasts and shipping lanes against German submarine activity during World War II, the U. S. Navy established bases to house huge lighter-than-air (LTA) craft, also known as blimps. With the ability to hover above a target, the blimps were uniquely qualified for coastal defense and observation.
History
Ursuline Convent in the Civil War
Before the Confederate recapture of Galveston on January 1, 1863, the nuns of this monastary declined an evacuation offer. During and after the battle the east wing was used as a hospital for treatment of wounded from both sides. Young Lieutenant Sidney Sherman, mortally wounded, died here in the arms of Mother St. Pierre Harrington.
History
Ursuline Nuns in Galveston
In January 1847 seven nuns of the Ursuline Order, the first order of religious women in Texas, came to Galveston and established a convent and academy. The school opened with 25 students in February 1847, and quickly added more pupils, some of whom boarded. In addition to educating the youth of the area, the Ursuline nuns ministered to the community through numerous tribulations.
History
Valentine T. Dalton
A veteran of the War of 1812 who fought at the Battle of New Orleans Jan. 8, 1815 Born March 15, 1782 Died August 1, 1885 Erected by the State of Texas
History
Victor Gustafson Home
This raised one-story cottage originally was located at 620 Market Street. Before the property was purchased by Victor Gustafson in 1895, it had belonged to Swiss immigrant Henry Rosenberg, who is remembered as a prominent businessman and public benefactor. The builder of this cottage, Victor Gustafson (1870-1956), was a native of Finland.
History
W. P. Ballinger Law Firm
Oldest continuous law firm in Texas. Founded Nov. 13, 1846, by William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), who on that day received first law license issued by state of Texas, through first judicial district court. A veteran of the Mexican war, he later was a distinguished Texas statesman. Ballinger's first partners -- in Jones, Butler & Ballinger -- were John M. Jones and Jonas Butler.
Military
Warren D. C. Hall
(1788 - April 8, 1867) North Carolina native Warren DeWitt Clinton Hall was an early immigrant to Texas who took part in several military expeditions against Spain and Mexico. He served as acting secretary of war for the Republic of Texas at the time of the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836.
Architecture
Washington Hotel
This building is a reconstruction of a structure built in 1873 for prominent Galveston merchant John Parker Davie and named the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Davie sold the business in 1878 to John Summers, who renamed it the Washington Hotel after an earlier inn by that name which was destroyed in the Galveston fire of 1877. The J. P.
History
Wedell's Corner
Site, childhood home of Jimmy (1900-1934) and Walter (1901-1935) Wedell -- aviation pioneers. Jimmy designed, built, raced planes. With financier Harry Williams, operated early airline. At time of death in crash, held world's land plane speed record. Walter died in a later air disaster.