History
Point Bolivar
Headquarters for Long's Expedition which attempted to free Texas from Spanish rule in 1819. Named in honor of Simon Bolivar (1783-1830), leader in the Spanish-American War for independence. Here Mrs. Long and a small group remained until news of her husband's death came in 1822. A light house was erected here by the Republic of Texas.
History
Poole-Parker House
This Greek revival cottage was built in the 1860s by W. G. Boepple on land he bought from Valentine Poole, a local cattle dealer who again became the owner in 1872. In 1886 the home was sold to the estate of "Galveston News" editor Willard B. Richardson. Later his daughter caroline managed the property. She was the wife of Dr. H. P.
History
Powhatan and Mattie Wren House
In 1873, Edward Sylvester paid W.C. Crookshank to build a side-gabled cottage with galleries that ran the length of the north and south sides of the house. Originally, there was a small building at the back of the lot most likely used as a kitchen. Sylvester and his wife Lydia lived in the house for several years before they sold it to Powhatan and Matite (Campbell) Wren.
History
Powhatan House
Early Galveston hotel; built 1847 by John Seabrook Sydnor, Galveston mayor 1846-1847. Greek revival architecture; Doric columns from Maine. Has served as orphanage, military academy, residence, and set for a motion picture. Now Galveston Garden Center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Public Education for Blacks in Galveston
Attempts to open public, tax-supported schools in Galveston after the Civil War (1861-65) were delayed by yellow fever and lack of funds, but in 1881 the school board devised a sound system of free public education. This included classes for black children in two rented locations, called the East Broadway Colored School and Barnes Institute.
History
Rabbi Henry Cohen
(1863-1952) Called the "First Citizen of Texas" by U. S. President Woodrow Wilson, Rabbi Henry Cohen, an internationally known humanitarian, was born in London, England. He came to Galveston in 1888 as spiritual leader of congregation B'Nai Israel and served for 64 years until his death. In 1889 he married Mollie Levy (1862-1951) and they had two children.
History
Reconstruction to 1900, Galveston County
The revival of economic, political, social and religious institutions in Galveston County following the Civil War was more rapid than anywhere in the South. Galveston emerged as the largest city in Texas and with its natural seaport, became the focal point for sea and railroad transportation. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad was established.
Nature
Rollover Fish Pass
A strait approximately 200 feet wide, 5 feet deep and more than 1,600 feet long across Bolivar Peninsula - was opened in 1955 by the Texas Game and Fish Commission as part of its continuing program to perpetuate and improve the state's fish and wildlife resources.
Civic & Local
Runge Park
Galveston businessman Henry J. Runge (1859-1922), European-educated son of a German immigrant, bought the land and laid out the town of Arcadia in 1890. At that time he donated this site for use as a park. Later the Galveston County Commissioners Court named the park in his honor. First community-wide use of Runge Park was in 1938 for a dairy show that is still held yearly.
History
Samuel May Williams
Born the son of a ship captain in Rhode Island, Samuel Williams was apprenticed to his uncle in Baltimore after 1810 to learn business skills. After 1816 he lived in Buenos Aires, where he learned Spanish and its related culture. By 1819 he was working in New Orleans, where he might have met empresario Stephen F. Austin.
History
San Leon Cemetery
The old section of this cemetery was in use at least as early as the 1890s as part of the town of North Galveston that was created in 1891 from the original 1837 Republic of Texas townsite of San Leon. Destroyed in the 1900 storm, the town was sold in 1910 to Congressman Joe Eagle, who restored the San Leon name.
History
Santa Fe Consolidated High School
In 1927, Arcadia, Alta Loma and Algoa schools combined to form the Santa Fe Consolidated school district, named for the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe railroad which linked the towns. Architect Harry D. Payne designed a new high school for the district in 1928, to be built about halfway between Arcadia and Alta Loma. With a bond of $42,000, work on the school began.
Transport
Santa Fe Union Station
The south half of this building was constructed in 1913 to serve as a central passenger station for Galveston's railway system and to house the general offices of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad's Gulf lines. In 1932 an 11-story tower and 8-story north wing were added, incorporating elements of the art deco style.
History
Scottish Rite Masonry in Texas
Born in 1867 in Galveston. One of major systems of celebrated Masonic fraternal organization. Philip C. Tucker, the Deputy Inspector General of the Masons, read charter establishing "San Felipe Lodge of Perfection." It was named after San Felipe de Austin, capital of first Anglo-American colony in Texas. As Texas Masonry flourished, "L. M. Openheimer Charter of Rose Croix" was organized in 1882.
History
Settlement Community
During Reconstruction, former slaves founded a community known as the Settlement on land platted by Judge William J. Jones for purchase by freedmen. Prior to this, a number of cattlemen moved to this area with their slaves. During the Civil War, George Washington Butler was placed in charge of a containment camp and used slave labor from there to drive cattle for the Confederate Army.
History
Shoal Point and Half Moon Shoal Lighthouse
A number of families settled along Galveston Bay in the 1830s after land grants were awarded to veterans of the republic of Texas army and navy. An early community at this site became known officially as Shoal Point in 1878 when a U. S. Post Office was established. It was renamed Texas City in 1893. The commencement of shipping in Galveston Bay led to increased settlement in the area.
History
Site of Austinia
Empresario Stephen F. Austin urged Mexico to improve foreign trade by establishing ports in the Galveston area as early as 1825. Historical references suggest Austinia was settled in the 1830s as part of Austin's foreign trade efforts in this area. The original site of Austinia was located on coastal property owned by Austin one mile north of this site.
History
Site of Clifton-by-the-Sea
Established in 1910 through the partnership of area landowners G. C. Perkins and W. Y. Fuqua, Clifton-by-the-Sea is a reminder of the era in which prosperity returned to Galveston County following the devastating 1900 storm.
History
Site of Galveston County Poor Farm
The Galveston County Commissioners Court began planning in 1886 to purchase a farm to house and care for the county's indigent citizens. A site was chosen, and by June 1887 the county purchased 213 acres of land on the banks of Clear Creek. The first building constructed was designed by local architect Nicholas J. Clayton and contained a dining hall.
History
Site of Galveston Seminary
Built by Reverend John McCullough in 1849. Patterned after private Presbyterian schools in historic Chester County, Pennsylvania, the institution was a landmark in pioneer Texas education. Eminently suited for the purpose, the school compound occupied this half-block, upon which the county jail now stands.
History
Site Of Landmark Campbell's Bayou
Settled 1821 by privateer James Campbell (1791-1856), U. S. Navy veteran, War of 1812, who after discharge was lieutenant and close friend of buccaneer Jean Lafitte, operating out of Galveston (then called Campeche). In Karankawa Indian rituals about 1817, Mary Sabinal (1795-1884) became Campbell's bride. When Lafitte left Texas in 1821, Campbell pleased his wife by settling here as a rancher.
History
Site of Magnolia Grove Cemetery
The Magnolia Grove Association, formed in 1870, made plans to establish a cemetery atop this ridge to serve the entire community of Galveston. The land chosen was divided into 25 sections. Association members purchased individual plots and on June 20, 1870, the cemetery was formally established. A storm that struck Galveston Island in 1875 severely damaged the cemetery grounds.
History
Site of the Home of Michael Branaman Menard
(1805 - 1856) A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Founder of the city of Galveston. Member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas.
History
Site of Ursuline Convent and Academy
Seven nuns of the Ursuline order from New Orleans arrived in Galveston on January 19, 1847, sent at the request of Bishop Jean Marie Odin. By February 1847 the nuns established a convent and academy in the two-story former home of Judge James W. Love. The school opened with 25 students. Later some pupils boarded at the school.
History
Sociedad Mutualista Mexicana in Texas City
In the 1870s native Tejanos organized "Sociedades Mutualistas," mutual aid societies designed to protect their interests from the growing Anglo population of Texas. Although most of the early settlers of this area were of English, French, and German descent, increasing numbers of Mexican immigrants arrived in 1893 when construction began on the city's port facilities.