History
Civil War Fortifications at Virginia Point
The site of an important railroad bridge which provided the only connection between the Texas mainland and Galveston Island in the mid-19th century, played an integral role in the Confederate defense of Galveston during the Civil War. A convoy of Union ships began a blockade off Galveston Island on July 2, 1861. Confederate Brig. Gen. Paul O.
History
Clarke-Jockusch Home
This large Victorian home was built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke, a prominent figure in the Galveston shipping industry. In 1928 the house was purchased by grain exporter Julius W. Jockusch, who served as consul in Belgium and later consul in Germany.
History
Confederate Mariner: Leon Smith
"Lion" of Texas coastal defense during the Civil War. Commanded marine department of military district. Born in New England, went to sea at 13. By age 20 was a captain. In 1850s commanded on the Galveston to New Orleans run of Southern Mail Steamships. In Feb. 1861, when Texas had seceded, commanded ship taking Col. John S. "Rip" Ford to Brownsville to take military possession of the Rio Grande.
History
Congregation B'nai Israel Synagogue
Erected in 1870. Cultural and religious center for 85 years. Second oldest temple in Texas. Converted to Masonic Temple in 1953. Henry Cohen, rabbi from 1888-1950, was noted advisor and beloved humanitarian to the entire city. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Crenshaw Family Cemetery
Virginia native and Civil War veteran James A. Crenshaw wed Henrietta Barker Elliott in Kentucky in 1870. Two years later, with their first child, they moved to Bolivar Peninsula and constructed a two-story house in this vicinity. James, a successful farmer, transported his produce across the water to Galveston markets using his fleet of nine sailboats.
Industry & Science
Dairy Industry in the Santa Fe Area
The railroad communities of Arcadia, Alta Loma, and Algoa, established in the 1890s, formed the nucleus of the Santa Fe area at the turn of the 20th century. Citrus and fig production, truck farming, and a burgeoning daily industry dominated the local economy at that time.
History
Davison Home
Built by Frank and Florence Haven Davison, 1895-1897. Sturdy Victorian structure, of cypress. Home of first child born in Texas City (formerly named Shoal Point). Survivor of many storms; suffered most in 1947 disaster. Davison, prominent civic leader and pioneer in Texas City, was first in many capacities: city commissioner, postmaster, school trustee, bank director.
Transport
Dickinson Station of the GH&H Railroad
Chartered by the State of Texas on February 7, 1853, the Galveston, Houston, and Henderson Railroad was the first railroad to reach the Texas Coast. A trestle was built across Galveston Bay in 1859, and passenger and freight service was initiated between Galveston and Harrisburg. The line's earliest engines were two wood-burning locomotives named "Perseverance" and "Brazos.
History
Dominican Sisters Congregation of the Sacred Heart
At the request of Galveston Bishop Nicholas Aloysius Gallagher, Dominican Sister Mary Agnes Magevney and Mother Rose Lynch left their Sacred Heart Convent in Somerset, Ohio, to staff a school in Galveston in 1882. Twenty sisters including Sister Agnes and Mother Rose arrived in Galveston on September 29, 1882.
History
E. S. Levy and Company
Founded 1877 by Abraham Levy and a partner, as Levy & Weiss, family clothiers. Building erected 1878; several times remodeled. Owners since 1879, Levy family includes many civic, cultural, professional leaders for city and state. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Early History of Galveston County
Galveston Island, for centuries a crossroad for Indians, privateers, Spanish and French explorers, for a time was capital of the Republic of Texas. This was during the Texas War for Independence, when Santa Anna was making his 1836 invasion. On March 17, the hastily organized ad interim Cabinet of President David G.
History
Eaton Memorial Chapel
Designed by noted architect Nicholas Clayton. Gothic revival style. Dedicated as memorial in 1882 to the Rev. Benjamin Eaton, founding rector, 1841-71. Half of funds provided by the Ladies' Parochial Society; half by financier Henry Rosenberg. After city-wide fire 1885, chapel was used by St. Paul's German Presbyterian Church. Center of parish life 1900-01 and 1925-27 during church repair.
History
Evergreen Cemetery
In 1890 Henry J. Runge laid out the town of Arcadia at the site of a railroad depot on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad near here known as Hall's Station. Sometime between 1890 and 1897, Evergreen Cemetery was established to serve the growing community of Arcadia. The first person known to be buried here was Susan Carswell Sims (d. 1897).
History
Fig Industry in Friendswood
Friendswood was established as a Quaker colony by Frank J. Brown and Thomas H. Lewis in 1895. Among the colony's early settlers was former Kansas farmer Nereus Stout. Stout became a highly acclaimed horticulturist and is believed to be the first farmer to grow figs commercially in Galveston County. J. C. Carpenter established Galveston County's first fig preserving plant in Friendswood about 1910.
Military
First Aero Squadron
First tactical air unit, U. S. Army; was stationed here 1913-1915 during U. S. border troubles caused by revolution in Mexico. The 7 planes, 5 officers, and 21 enlisted men were not in combat, but made aerial maps and achieved a long distance flight record.
History
First Hutchings-Sealy National Bank
Successor of Texas' oldest bank and its first national bank. Founded in 1835 when Mexico granted a banking charter to the merchants Thomas F. McKinney and Samuel May Williams -- a firm wealthy enough in 1836 to finance the Texas War for Independence to a large extent.
History
First Lutheran Church
One of earliest Evangelical Lutheran churches in Texas. Founded in 1850 by the Rev. G. Guebner, of the South Carolina Synod. Seven families were the charter members. The Rev. H. Wendt, second pastor, established day school. For the school and church, old Lyceum building was purchased in 1855. Modern building incorporates part of that structure.
History
First Navy of the Republic of Texas
Dedicated to the first navy of the Republic of Texas established by Governor Henry Smith November 25th, 1835. The Fleet: BRUTUS, INDEPENDENCE, LIBERTY and INVINCIBLE. Commemorating the heroism of its personnel; defenders of an empire.
History
First Presbyterian Church
Organized New Year's Day, 1840, in the "Academy," an old building on the northwest corner of this intersection. Rev. John McCullough, church organizer, became pastor. Original building was finished 1843; present structure started 1872; completed 1889. Following its escape from the great fire of 1885, church housed classes from schools which had burned.
History
Former Site of Heidenheimer's Castle
In 1857 John S. Sydnor (1812-1869), former Galveston mayor, built the original two-story, eight-room structure at this site. Samson Heidenheimer (1834-1891) bought it in 1884. The German-born Heidenheimer began with a $100 loan and built a fortune as a Confederate blockade runner. He was associated with Sydnor and his son Seabrook in an auction business.
Military
Fort Travis
In early 1836, soon after Texas declared independence from Mexico, Republic of Texas President David Burnet dispatched Colonel Ed Harcourt to Galveston Island to erect a fort. Using army recruits and slave labor Harcourt built an octagonal earth and timber fortification armed with six and twelve-pound gun mounts appropriated from the Texas Navy vessel CAYUGA.
History
Frank Bell, Jr.
(1893-1963) was the son of early La Marque settlers Flavery and Frank Bell, Sr. Although he received little formal education, he was able to achieve business success and became a respected civic leader in La Marque's African American community. Bell served in the U. S. Army during World War I and later was stationed in this area.
History
Franklin-Wandless House
Built in 1886 to replace a house destroyed in the great Strand fire, this was the home of Robert Morris and Sarah Franklin. Robert Franklin (1839-1923) was the son of Benjamin C. Franklin, the Battle of San Jacinto veteran for whom Franklin County was named.
History
Frederich-Erhard House
Galveston native and banker William John Frederich, Sr. (1852-1898), had this house built for his family in 1894. After his death, his widow Jeanne sold the home to his nephew, Frederich William Erhard, in 1909. The home remained in the Erhard family until 1972.
Architecture
Frederick William Beissner House
Designed by Galveston architect William H. Roystone for local real estate agent Frederick William Beissner (1854-1905) and his wife Mary, this Victorian-era home was built in 1888. Its elaborate Eastlake details include turned posts, jigsawn porch balustrades, recurring floral motifs, corbelled chimney, cross-gabled roof capped by a widow's walk, and varying patterns of imbricated shingles.