History
Brummett Cemetery
Between Old Laredo Road and Fort Ewell Road, in a locality accessible to the pioneers, this cemetery was in use by 1860, as shown by gravestone of Elijah Ross, aged two. The burial ground was deeded to the public by Mrs. Kizzie Brummett and her son William Brummett on Sept. 21, 1889. Interments have included John T.
History
Frio County
(Created 1858, Organized 1871) Home of Pachal Indians before Spaniards arrived in Mexico (1519). First area explorer was Alonso de Leon, 1690, searching for Fort St. Louis founded by La Salle. Upper Presidio Road--artery of travel from Saltillo, Mexico, to East Texas--crossed Frio River and became a King's Highway , 1720.
History
Frio County
Lying in one of the first areas in Texas to be explored by the Spanish, in 1690, Frio County was created in 1858 and organized in 1871. Frio City, laid out 1871, was the first county seat, but surrendered the title to Pearsall, on the International & Great Northern Railroad, in 1883. Old rock courthouse still stands in present Frio Town.
History
Frio Lodge No. 399, A.F. & A.M.
The Frio Lodge was organized with seven members in 1873 in the town of Frio City (16 mi. NW) and was chartered the following year. The first Worshipful Master was John B. McMahon, a pioneer area settler who had served as head of the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1860-61. In 1883 the lodge relocated to the new railroad town of Pearsall.
History
Frio Town Cemetery
Founded in 1871, Frio Town served as the first county seat of Frio County. A courthouse was built in 1876, and a number of families built homes in the area. The International and Great Northern Railroad built a line from San Antonio to Laredo in 1881, bypassing Frio Town. By 1883 the new town of Pearsall (16 mi. E) on the rail line became the new county seat.
History
James Washington Winters
A San Jacinto veteran, born in Tennessee, January 21, 1817; died November 15, 1903. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
James Washington Winters
San Jacinto veteran, went on Somervell Expedition. Loyal to former general Sam Houston, did not sign Oath of Allegiance to the Confederate States at Oakville, July 4, 1861. Capt. 29th Brig. T.S.M., Provost Marshall, scout between Nueces and Rio Grande rivers. 8 yrs. in Tuxpan Mexico. Wife, Piercy Tullos. Children; James, Josephus, Adeline, Susan, John, Marion, William B. and Sallie.
History
Moore Catholic Cemetery
This site was deeded to the Moore Catholic Church in 1902 by Ben Duncan, who also gave land for the church structure. Burials occurred before the land was donated. The earliest known grave is that of Christine Tehas (1819-1894). Mostly Spanish names appear on the gravestones, but English and German ones are also seen.
History
Moore Cemetery
First public burial ground in community. Before its founding people were buried in private plots, church cemeteries, or in public graveyards outside this precinct. In 1896 Moses Veith deeded five acres of land for use as a community cemetery. Interred here are pioneers and men who fought in Indian battles, World Wars I and II, and other major conflicts. Moore was named for early Texas R. B.
History
Old Frio County Jail
Oldest building in town. Built in 1884 for $11,000. Style typical of era. Used as jail and jailer's residence until 1967. Second story and part of the first housed jail. Two separate cells were added in 1885 for female or juvenile prisoners or for the insane. For years a well on the premises supplied water.
History
Pearsall Presbyterian Church
Organized on March 31, 1884, in home of Mrs. Mary Dorsey. Elders: Dr. J. R. Boyd, James Ferries, James Thompson; Trustees: C. W. Gribble, R. J. Harkness, J. S. Powell, E. B. Rutledge, James Thompson. First pastor was the Rev. W. S. Wright. Church structure was dedicated on December 8, 1885.
History
Tehuacana Cemetery
Original 1.86 acre site given by James E. and Amanda R. Bandy. First burial was in 1875. Community acquired adjoining 3.6 acres in 1880 for a log church and a day, writing, and music school; added 6.2 acres in 1881 for a frame parsonage and church called Wilson Chapel and Salem Sunday School. Tehuacana Church moved to Medina County in 1900.
History
William Alexander A. Wallace
Known as Big Foot Wallace--defender of Texas and Texans. As soldier, ranger and mailrider, he protected the advancing frontier, died January 7, 1899.
History
William Carvin Winters
Came to Texas in 1834, wounded at San Jacinto, born in Tennessee in 1809, died in 1863.