History
Kendleton
The site on which Kendleton now stands was originally a Mexican land grant to settler Elizabeth Powell, whose house was an early-day stage stop. During the Texas Revolution, in 1836, Santa Anna's Mexican Army camped near here. Later the settlements of Oak Hill and Humbolt existed briefly. Kendleton began during Civil War reconstruction when Wm. E.
History
Krasna Settlement
Krasna Settlement In 1891, Francis Smith subdivided and sold property in this area. In 1892, he gave four acres for a school and church for Czech settlers forming the community of Krasna, which means beautiful in the Czech language. That year, local families built a school, and in 1893, it became part of Orchard Common School District.
Architecture
McNabb House
Phillip Vogel, a German merchant, built this residence in the 1850s. It reflects the simple Greek revival style popular at the time. A. D. McNabb, owner of a saddlery shop, bought the property in 1887. He married Charlien Gloyd, daughter of temperance crusader Carry Nation, who operated a boarding house in Richmond in the 1880s.
History
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar
President of the Republic of Texas A native of Georgia, Mirabeau B. Lamar came to Texas in 1835 and immediately became involved in the movement for independence from Mexico. Upon the fall of the Alamo and news of the Goliad Massacre, he joined the Texas Army, in the rank of private, as Houston's troops moved eastward toward San Jacinto.
History
Missouri City
In 1890 Houston realtors R.M. Cash and L.E. Luckel began a real estate development here, promoted to attract settlers from Missouri and Illinois. The settlement was established on four sections of land purchased from the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad. In 1894 the townsite of Missouri City was platted on the property of W.R. McElroy of Houston.
Architecture
Moore Home
Occupied by three generations of the Moore family, this house was built in 1883 by John M. Moore (1862-1940) for his bride Lottie (Dyer). A prosperous rancher, Moore served in the state legislature and from 1905 to 1913 in the U. S. Congress. He remodeled this structure in 1905 from its original Victorian design to a Neo-classical style popular in the early 20th century.
History
Morton Cemetery
Burial place of illustrious pioneers, including 1838-1841 Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar (1798-1859) and one of State's first women settlers, Jane Long (1798-1880), known as "The Mother of Texas." On Labor No.
History
Morton Lodge No. 72, A. F. & A. M.
Organized in 1850, the Morton Masonic Lodge was chartered on January 24, 1851. Named for "Old 300" colonist and Mason william Morton, the Lodge began with twenty charter members. The first lodge hall, located on Jackson street, was replaced in 1855 by a larger building on the corner of 3rd and Morton streets.
History
Morton-McCloy House
"Old 300" settlers William Morton and his family operated Morton's Ferry here in the 1820s. Hand-hewn braced-frame construction suggests that at its core this house was built by the Mortons in the mid-1830s. Altered to its present appearance between 1873-1904 during the ownership of the Dr.
History
Mrs. Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long
Site of the home of the pioneer of Anglo-American women in Texas Mrs. Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long (1789-1880) Wife of Dr. James Long, leader of an expedition in 1819 whose purpose was to free Texas from Spanish rule Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Needville Methodist Church Cemetery
Located on land purchased by the Needville German Methodist Church from the State of Texas in 1896, this small cemetery began in 1903, when the infant son of the church's pastor, William Sievers, and his wife Alma was buried near the church building. By 1905 children of the Busch and Kielman families also were buried here, and the Zich family began burying relatives in the graveyard in 1907.
History
Paschal Paolo Borden
Born in New York, 1806; came to Texas, December 17, 1829 as a soldier in the Texas War for Independence. He participated in the campaign to capture Bexar, 1835, and fought in the Battle of San Jacinto April 21, 1836. Died April 28, 1864. Erected by the State of Texas 1963
History
Pittsville
Planters preferring the prairie to the hazardous Brazos River bottoms settled this village in the 1840s. Named for store owners A. R. and Amanda (Wade) Pitts, it was a major commercial center by 1860. During the Civil War, the Pittsville Home Guard and Confederate cavalry units, which helped recapture Galveston, camped in the area. Notable residents included Robert Locke Harris and A. A.
History
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
In 1910, I. G. Mayes conveyed two acres of land from the Mason Briscoe estate to the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church at this site. Around 1930, community residents and church members began using the land behind the sanctuary as a cemetery. The first marked grave, that of Will Brown, dates to 1933; there is evidence of unmarked graves that may, however, indicate earlier burials.
History
Powell Point School
William E. Kendall, an Anglo lawyer from Richmond, Texas, subdivided his plantation here into 100-acre farm tracts in 1869. He sold the land exclusively to Freedmen and by the 1880s a distinctly African American community named Kendleton had developed here. In 1890 local A. M. E. churches built three one-room schools to form Common School District No.
History
Randolph Foster
Randolph Foster Born in the Natchez District of Spanish West Florida on March 12, 1790, Randolph Foster was the son of John and Rachel (Gibson) Foster. After service in Captain Randal Jones' Company during the War of 1812, Randolph hunted and explored throughout what was then the southwest, including stops in this part of Texas.
History
Robinowitz Brothers
The Robinowitz family immigrated to the United States from Russia between 1898 and 1910. Beginning a new life in Texas, the brothers worked as peddlers for several years before opening stores in Richmond, Beasley, and Rosenberg. As merchants and builders, Cecil, Abe, and Libby Robinowitz contributed to downtown Rosenberg at a significant time in the city's growth and development.
History
Rosenberg
Founded on a site in original Mexican land grant of early settler Henry Scott, where a small, nameless shipping point existed on the Brazos early as 1830. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad had tracks here before 1860. Town developed after the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad arrived in 1880, built a station where it crossed the B. B. B. & C.
History
Rosenberg Cemetery
The Rosenberg Cemetery, formerly the Woodmen of the World (W.O.W.) Cemetery, had its beginnings in three separate but adjacent cemeteries--the W.O.W. Cemetery, and Moers and Klauke additions. Although it includes burials dating to the 1890s, the W.O.W. Cemetery was established by Rosenberg Camp No. 535 in 1905, when the group bought eight acres from R.T. Mulcahy.
History
Rosenberg Post Office
This post office was established in 1881, a year after Rosenberg was founded on the newly laid route of the Santa Fe Railroad. Early post office locations include a hotel and a general store. Parcel Post service began in 1913, and by 1928 Rosenberg's Post Office was handling mail from 24 mail trains per day. The U. S.
History
Site of the Home of Mirabeau B. Lamar
(1798-1859) Father of Texas education. President of the Republic of Texas, 1836-1841. He lived here from 1851 to 1859.
History
Site of the Home of Randal Jones
1786-1873 Member of Long's expedition in 1819 -- Captain of militia under Austin in 1824 - Member of the General Consultation, 1835 - On this land granted him in 1824 he built the house in which "Deaf" Smith died, November 30, 1837 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Thompson's Ferry
Where a part of the Mexican Army under command of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna crossed the Brazos on April 14, 1836 en route to an engagement with the Texans * This occurred one week later at San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
St. John Missionary Baptist Church
After the Civil War, former DeWalt Plantation slaves, led by Rev. Dave King, formed St. John Baptist Church (Colored) in 1869. In 1900, Anna Cartwright Roberts deeded two acres in the David Bright League to the church and County School District #19. In 1935, George L. Dew purchased the property and sold two acres in the William Stafford League to the church to relocate.
Architecture
St. John's United Methodist Church
While Methodist missionaries had served the Richmond area as early as 1824, this congregation was organized January 22, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord. Early members included some of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. The congregation built this red brick sanctuary in 1922. Designed by C. N.