History
A hero of San Jacinto William F. Williams
(June 11, 1814 - August 27, 1878) Kentuckian W. F. Williams met Sam Houston in Tennessee and later joined his army to fight for Texas independence at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Williams came to Falls County in 1857. A farmer and rancher, he was also a partner in Mosley and Williams General Store in nearby Kosse. He was a member of Eutaw Lodge No. 233, A.F. & A.M.
Architecture
Allen House
Built in 1911 as a residence for the family of Dr. Walter and Netti (Falconer) Allen, this Greek Revival style house features a giant entablature supported by paired massive Ionic columns. The house was occupied by members of the Allen family until 1956.
History
Barclay Cemetery
The town of Barclay was founded in 1877 when William Anderson Barclay (1849-1927) opened a General Mercantile store here. A leader in farming, business, commercial and industrial circles throughout central Texas, W. A. Barclay also operated a large horse and cattle ranch nearby and was appointed the town's first postmaster in 1881.
History
Blevins Cemetery
Born in the Republic of Texas in 1838, Amanda Ruble Taylor moved to this are in 1855. This cemetery began with her burial on family land in 1875. Her widower, the Rev. Issac Taylor, deeded land for this cemetery to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1879. The numerous infant grave sites reveal the harsh realities of frontier life.
History
Blevins Community and School
The community of Blevins began about 1860, when Texas Revolution veteran Thomas H. Barron and his family settled near Deer Creek. The Rev. Isaac Taylor operated a school for area children from the 1870s until 1885, when Blevins School opened. A public school district, formally organized in 1916, served students in a nine-square mile area until 1939.
Quirky
Bucksnort
This area was first settled in 1837 by members of the Marlin and Menefee families. The settlement grew steadily, and for a time was known as Jarett Menefee's Supply Station. By the 1840s the village boasted a school, general store, blacksmith shop, racetrack, stable, saloon, stagecoach stop, and post office.
History
Bull Hill Cemetery
This graveyard, one of the oldest in Falls County, was used for the interment of African Americans for more than a century. James Coryell, an Anglo frontiersman killed in 1837, may be on of the earliest burials. Bull Hill became the burial ground for the enslaved African Americans from the Churchill Jones plantation.
History
Captain Henry Gray Carter
(1836 - 1896) Born in Weston, Vermont. Moved to Texas in 1852. Enlisted as a lieutenant in Confederate Army (Gen. Tom Green's Brigade, Texas Cavalry) in 1861, during Civil War. Promoted to Captain in 1862 for gallantry, he fought against Gen. N. P. Banks' army at Fort Butler, Mansfield, Bisland, and Pleasant Hill, where he was wounded. Married Cleopatra Williams in 1864.
History
Cottonwood Baptist Church
This congregation was founded by a group of German-speaking families who had moved from the Washington County area to the rich farmlands of Falls County. The organizational meeting was held March 4, 1884, at the home of Anton Wittner. Fifteen charter members named their congregation the German Baptist Church of Cottonwood. For four years, worship services were held in the members' homes.
History
Criswell Cemetery
Bearing the name of the community it once served, this site is part of ten acres deeded by Marcus Thomas Durham in 1886 for a school, church and cemetery. By that time it was already an established burial ground; the two oldest marked graves, both dating to 1873, are those of C. M. Criswell and Durham's father, Thomas Durham (1811-1873).
History
Falls County
Created Jan. 28, 1850, from Limestone and Milam counties. Organized Aug. 5, 1850. Named for falls on the Brazos River which flow through the center of the county. White colonization in the area pre-dates the Texas Revolution, but colonists fled on news of Santa Anna's assault, 1836. John Marlin, for whom county seat was named, returned and settled near present city.
History
Falls County Courthouse
The Texas legislature created Falls County in 1850. The first courthouse was a log cabin, possibly located on this site. In 1855 the county seat (then Adams) was renamed Marlin, and construction was completed on what became the courthouse square. The second courthouse, built of native white cedar, burned about 1870. The third courthouse was completed by 1876 but was damaged in an 1886 storm.
Architecture
Frank and Julia Bockholt Home
The Johann and Theresia Bockholt family settled in this area in 1881. In 1933, their son Frank and his wife, Julia, inherited a portion of the estate. Both were active in community life, and he is remembered for his musical talent and his 52 years as organist at the Church of the Visitation. They built on to an existing two-room house at this site in 1912 and reared their large family here.
Military
General Thomas Harrison
C.S.A. (1823 - 1891) Youngest only trio of Texas Brothers who all gained rank of general in Confederate Army. Lived in Falls County in 1850s. Veteran of Mexican War and of Texas frontier defense. Rose in Civil War to command of Terry's Texas Rangers. Rode with Cavalry of Gen. N. B. Forrest who got "Thar Fustest with the mostest". Fought at Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Ft.
Architecture
Henslee House
Sam G. (1863 - 1941) and Estella (1865 - 1944) Henslee had this residence constructed for their family in 1907. As an early Rosebud businessman and city council member, Henslee was a leader in the development of the town. The modified Victorian home, which remained in the Henslee family until 1944, exhibits elements of the shingle style of architecture.
Architecture
Highlands Mansion
Built about 1898-1900 by B. C. Clark. Sturdy cypress; stained leaded Glass Dome, windows--Italian imports. Elegant Gay Nineties mansion prominent in early Marlin society and one of the showplaces of Texas at the turn of the century. RTHL - 1967 Incise in Base: Restored 1964-1967 by Mr. and Mrs. Lee E. Loeffler
History
Hilton Hotel, Early
After Conrad Hilton had initiated career that later made him foremost innkeeper in the world, at first venture in boom town of Cisco brought a dream of Texas "wearing a chain of Hilton Hotels." Reality outran dreams. This was his eighth hotel. Marker dedicated to Conrad N. Hilton (born in 1887), one of the great men of America's southwestern frontier.
History
Indian Battlefield
At this site, near the pioneer home of George Morgan, a battle took place, January 16, 1839, between settlers in this region and Indians under Chief Jose Maria in which the colonists were defeated. A treaty with these Indians made soon after brought comparative peace to this region.
History
Jonathan Cochran Pool
(Aug. 6, 1806 - Feb. 21, 1886) A native of Georgia, Jonathan Cochran Pool moved to Texas with his family in 1815, settling in what is now Red River County. As a young man, he enlisted in the Texian Army and participated in early revolutionary skirmishes at Anahuac, Nacogdoches, and San Antonio. Pool later served as an Indian Scout for Gen. Sam Houston.
History
Judge Albert G. and Harriet Elizabeth Grimes Perry
Tennessee native Albert G. Perry (1807-1874) began the study of law at age sixteen in his brother's Alabama law office. He became a successful attorney, but in 1831 left for Texas, settling in Washington, where he opened a law office.
History
Live Oak Cemetery
The pioneer Falls County community of Live Oak began shortly after the Civil War. Originally known as Camden and later as Rupee, the settlement was the site of stores, a cotton gin, post office, doctors and a Masonic lodge. The Live Oak Baptist Church was established in the early 1870s. A log cabin served as the sanctuary and was also used as a schoolhouse.
History
Long Branch Cemetery
This graveyard, one of the oldest in Falls County, was used for the interment of African-Americans for more than a century. Founded by former slaves in connection with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Long Branch (later Long Branch United Methodist Church), it covers more than three acres surrounded by farm land. The cemetery is the last surviving vestige of the Long Branch community.
History
Lott (History)
Located on a straight line from Cameron to Waco, this site was the natural choice for development of a new town along the San Antonio and Arkansas Pass Railroad in 1889. The Texas Townsite Company bought land from area pioneers Captain and Mrs. George H. Gassaway, who had purchased 7,000 acres in 1871.
History
Marlin
In 1851, one year after Falls County was created, the town of Marlin was designated county seat. Formerly known as Adams, it was renamed for area pioneer John Marlin. The first courthouse was a log structure which also served as a school and community gathering place. A post office was established in 1851, the city was incorporated in 1867, and railroad service began in the 1870s.
History
McLennan's Bluff
Once known as "Sugar Loaf," this bluff overlooking Pond Creek was a landmark to early settlers in area. In 1835, Neil McLennan, a native of Scotland, built his home here, on land that had been granted to him as a member of Sterling Clack Robertson's Colony. The present town of Rosebud is located on part of Neil McLennan's land grant.