History
Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion Del Socorro
(Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception of Socorro) Established in 1680 by Brother Antonio Guerra for Piros Indians, refugees from Old Socorro, N.M., this and 1682 mission at Ysleta (located 3.7 miles west) are among oldest continuously occupied settlements in the Southwest. By 1750, town had 498 Indians and 54 Spaniards.
History
Old B'Nai Zion Synagogue
Congregation B'Nai Zion was chartered in 1900, and the 35 members initially met in private homes or rented space. This building, the first Jewish synagogue in El Paso, was completed in 1912. The structure features an unusual combination of classical and Gothic revival styling.
History
Old County Jail
This structure was built about 1850 of adobe bricks (sun-dried mud and reeds) and cottonwood logs around steel cell blocks. It served as official county jail 1850-66 and 1868-73, when San Elizario was the first and then third El Paso county seat. It housed both jail ("carcel" in Spanish) and courtroom ("juzgado").
Architecture
Old Main
Completed in 1917, this building was the first structure on the new campus of the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy, now the University of Texas at El Paso. The Bhutanese style was suggested by Kathleen L. Worrell, wife of the school's first dean, who was inspired by a feature on Bhutan in the April 1914 issue of "National Geographic" magazine.
History
Oldest Mission in Texas
Originally founded in 1613 at Isleta Pueblo, in New Mexico, and dedicated in 1621 as San Antonio de Isleta. Removed to El Paso area, 1680 (during Pueblo Revolt), by Tigua Indians who brought along the patron saint as they accompanied fleeing Spaniards.
History
Pioneer Plaza
Pioneer Plaza was the center of public activity in early El Paso. A United States military guard was posted here in the late 1870s to defend citizens from Apache Indian attacks, and military bands performed in the plaza. An irrigation ditch flowed along the south boundary of the plaza and nourished a line of trees which shaded the area.
History
Radford School
Plans for the establishment of a quality boarding and day school for girls in El Paso were begun in 1910 as a result of a meeting of leading citizens. Through their efforts, a joint stock company was formed and classroom space was leased in houses on Terrace Street. The El Paso School for Girls opened on Sept. 10, 1910, with 18 students. Ora W. L. Slater and Olga E.
History
Rio Vista Farm
El Paso County's second poor farm, known as the El Paso Poor Farm, was established here in 1915. John O'Shea, a wealthy farmer and businessman whose farm was nearby, assumed operation of the farm. His wife, Agnes O'Shea, was in charge of the residents. John O'Shea died in 1929, and the couple's daughter, Helen O'Shea Keleher, came from her home in San Antonio to operate the farm with her mother.
History
Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition, 1581
Inspired by Indian stories of settlements in present New Mexico and authorized by the Spanish Viceroy, Fray Agustin Rodriguez, a Franciscan priest, led a missionary expedition to the area. Accompanied by Fray Juan de Santa Maria, Fray Francisco Lopez, nine soldiers, and nineteen Indian servants, he left Santa Barbara, Mexico, on June 5, 1581.
History
Salt War
The Salt War rose from political conflicts in El Paso County and from controversies over control of the salt lakes east of El Paso that for centuries had been a free source of salt for local residents. In 1877 Charles Howard, a former county judge who claimed ownership of the lakes, shot political adversary Luis Cardis over the issue of the salt beds.
History
Salt War
Resentment, over private control of the salt lakes in the region often called Guadalupe Lakes; in 1877 led to the El Paso Salt War which entailed the loss of many lives and much property. 1936
History
San Andres Salt Trail
In the early to mid-1800s, the San Andres Salt Trail provided area residents with salt, a mineral vital for settlers on the frontier. Salt was used to preserve meat and dairy products, and for processing silver ore. In 1824, several Mexican families residing in the communities of Socorro and San Elizario established this salt trail.
History
San Antonio de Senecu
Approximate site of the mission and pueblo. Established by Don Antonio de Otermin and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta, O.F.M. in 1682. Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the civilizing and Christianizing of the Piro and Tompiro Indians.
History
San Elizario
San Elizario was established in 1789 on the former site of Hacienda de Los Tiburcios as a Spanish colonial fort known as the Presidio de San Elceario. The Presidio was moved from its original location (approx. 37 mi. s) in response to requests from settlers for military protection from Indian raids.
History
San Elizario
Site of the Presidio de Nuestra Senora Del Pilar y Glorioso Senor San Jose established by Don Domingo Jironza Petriz de Cruzate in 1683 near Mision de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe in present Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Located on this site in 1773 and renamed Presidio de San Elzeario. Its chapel was served by Franciscan missionaries.
Architecture
San Elizario Chapel
(Capilla de San Elzeario) Named for the 13th-century French patron of the military, St. Elzear, Capilla de San Elzeario was established as part of the Spanish military garrison of Presidio de San Elzeario (also Elceario, later Elizario) when it was moved to this site in 1789 from its original location 37 miles to the southeast.
History
San Jacinto Plaza
In 1857, W. T. Smith sold his property which he called the "town of El Paso" for $6500.00. The buyers were J. S. and H. S. Gillette, J. F. Crosby, J. W. Morton and V. St. Vrain; they had it surveyed by Anson Mills. The map showed downtown El Paso much as it is today, including a public square which they donated to the future city of El Paso, Incorporated in 1873.
History
San Lorenzo
Established by Don Antonio de Otermin and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta, O.F.M. in 1682. Maintained by Franciscan Missionaries for the civilizing and Christianizing of the Zuma Indians.
Nature
Scenic Drive
Scenic Drive As early as 1881, El Paso leaders promoted the idea of creating a place along the base of the Franklin Mountains to provide visitors a panoramic view of the area. The automobile brought new attention to the idea, and in 1920, the city council and Mayor Charles Davis approved construction of a scenic drive. Finished in October 1920, the route became a popular attraction. The 1.
Architecture
Singer Building
Completed in 1928 for the Singer company, this Spanish colonial revival style structure was designed by noted El Paso architect Henry Trost. For more than 50 years the ground floor served as Singer's Retail Store, while the second story was occupied by a school for seamstresses.
Military
Site of Camp Concordia and Fort Bliss
When the U.S. Army returned to this area after the Civil War, conditions proved undesirable at the prewar post, Fort Bliss at Magoffinsville. In 1868 the garrison moved to this location, then part of the Concordia Ranch. The new post was named Camp Concordia. Two barracks and other adobe structures were built. In 1869 the camp was renamed Fort Bliss.
History
Site of First Mission in Texas
Application info: Spanish type mission, with oldest cultivated plot of land in US adjacent. Originally buitl 1681, partially restored. Still in use as church. Site of annual dances of Tigua Indians, who helped padres built it.
History
Site of Frontera
At this site, the historic settlement of Frontera was established by T. Frank White in August 1848. White moved here shortly after the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo transferred this part of the El Paso del Norte region to the United States, but before the border between Texas and New Mexico had been established. He served as magistrate of the New Mexico territory, U.S.
Military
Site of the First Fort Bliss
Established September 14, 1849 by Brevet Major Jefferson Van Horne with 4 companies of the Third United States Infantry and known as Post El Paso * Vacated in 1851 * Re-garrisoned in 1854 and named Fort Bliss in honor of Brevet Major William Wallace Smith Bliss * Abandoned in 1868 due to encroachment of the Rio Grande. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Tienda de Carbajal
Site (partially reclaimed) of a 19th century walled hacienda appearing on 1852 map near San Elizario Road crossing of Acequia Madre. By 1873 part of building was razed, but surviving parts were occupied by store of Juan Carbajal and some municipal offices. (1972)