History
Dixie Settlement
(Forerunner of Barksdale) Named for Camp Dixie, a Texas Ranger post near Military Road to Fort Inge (42 mi. SE). First civilian settler was Jerusha Sanchez, midwife for Nueces Canyon area, widowed by Indians in the 1870s. Next came Elizabeth Hill, whose eldest son Jim was a military scout. Lewis Barksdale, a veteran of Republic of Texas wars, opened a ranch on his 1876 land grant. The J. R.
History
Edwards County
Atop the Edwards Plateau, extending into the scenic Nueces Valley. Angora goat capital of the world. The economy is based on ranching. Wild game is abundant. Created in 1858 and organized 1883 from old Bexar district. Named for Haden Edwards (1813-1865), an early leader and colonizer in Texas.
History
Edwards County
Formed from Bexar County; created February 1, 1858. Organized September 10, 1883. Named in honor of Haden Edwards 1771-1849. Empresario leader of the Fredonian War in 1827. County seat, Leakey 1883 Rocksprings, since 1890.
Architecture
Edwards County Courthouse
Late Victorian structure of rusticated limestone, quarried in Southwest Texas. Contractors were Davey and Schott, of Kerrville, 1891. Roof was damaged by 1927 storm that killed 70 people. It was afterward restored. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
History
Gilmer Hotel
Built in 1916 by Jesse Walter Gilmer (1883-1961), the two-story Gilmer Hotel was originally wooden, with an upper gallery on the east and south sides. It was frequented by traveling salesmen as well as local ranchers and other visitors. The dining room was popular with townspeople, and the kitchen provided meals for prisoners in the Edwards County Jail.
History
Headquarters, American Angora Goat Breeders' Assn.
Formed in Missouri, 1898. Moved to Texas, 1924; to Rocksprings, 1926. Houses complete records on Angora Goats registered in U.S. Pictures of breeders and champion goats on display. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Hough-Haven
Built 1897 by Samuel A. and Annie Bradford Hough. (Hough was one of first graduates, Texas A & M) Home of attorneys, two county judges, district clerks. Scene of numerous social events. The Houghs still own the "Haven." Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
History
Mackenzie Trail
(Merged at this point into SH 55) When the U.S. Army built forts Clark (70 mi. SW) and McKavett (90 mi. NE) in 1852, this frontier trail connected the posts. After Fort Concho was established in 1867, the trail was extended farther north, to present San Angelo. It was later named for Col. Ranald S.
History
Old Carson Store
First stone store in town; built 1920-21 by G. M. Carson, merchant. His 1904 general store (on this site) was for years only establishment in county selling caskets. Present store withstood 1927 tornado that killed 72 here; is still owned by the Carson family. (1968)
History
Site of Nix Mill
(1885 - 1926) Built by John L. Nix (1842-1915) to cut rawhide lumber, grind corn and wheat, and gin cotton. Upper floor housed gin; lower, grist mill. On east side was sawmill with wood furnace and boiler to furnish steam power. Furnace was fed cedar and oak wood.
History
Site of Ranch of the Thurmans of Kickapoo
In 1882 Joe Thurman and sons Bill, Sam and Jess became first permanent settlers on the west prong of the Nueces River. By 1895 neighbors included the Barksdale, Chapman, Cox, Ellis, Haley, Justice, Parham, Silman, and Tabor Families. A brush arbor sheltered the first church, with Virgil Silman and A.J. Cox as preachers, and first school, with Perry Ellis as teacher.
History
Site of Rocksprings' First School Building
First school session in new town of Rocksprings was held in a frame house surrounded by a strong rock wall, in winter of 1891-92. Teachers were a Mr. Cole and a Mr. Vaughn (whose strong voice served instead of a bell to call "Books"). Pupils came from families of Abner Benton, a Mr. Buswell, John Campbell, Charlie Cooper, Julian Gill, West Hill, O. W. Holmes, George Maul, J. R.
History
Stopping Place on the Fort Clark-Fort McKavett Military Road
One of many roads built to connect frontier cavalry posts in Texas, this route led south to Fort Clark and north to Fort McKavett (both established in 1852). Paint Rock Springs, located here at the head of the South Llano River, was a natural midway rest stop. In 1877 Major John B. Jones' Texas Rangers assembled here to begin a major offensive to capture frontier outlaws.
Industry & Science
Substation No. 14
In 1914, Edwards Plateau ranchers were in a severe drought and losing sheep and goats to poisonous plants. Ranchers B.M. Halbert, V.A. Brown, R.E. Taylor and J.B. Murrah and the newly-formed Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers Association proposed a local experiment station. The Texas Legislature appropriated $10,000 to establish Substation No.
History
The "Chaparral"
Built about 1895 by J.P. Taylor, from England. Then on the Fort McKavett - Fort Clark Road. In 1907 E.E. and Mary Sproul Morriss, early settlers, bought Taylor's acreage and patented more land. Ranch became social center. "Chaparral" refers to roadrunners and Dwarf Oaks, both numerous here. (1969)
History
The Pioneer Coalsons
(Cedar Creek Ranch and graves about 9 miles WNW) Indians attacked goat camp of Nick Coalson on June 1, 1877; son Arthur, 10, was killed; Johnny, 14, wounded. Coalson escaped after 3 hours of hard fighting. One year later he lost his wife Alice, a daughter Etta Elizabeth (twin of Arthur), and infant stepson in another Indian raid. Captains Pat Dolan and Dan Roberts with Texas Ranger units, S.D.
History
The Rock Spring
Known to early Texans as one inch flow of water out of rocks. Site of a camp for travelers and freighters. Occupants of land around the spring included W. J. Greer, with a sheep camp, 1882; Francis Winans, with a cattle and sheep ranch, 1884; A. O. Burr, farming, about 1885. Cattlemen, including Frank Gray, camped here during roundups. Outlaws in 1880s frequented a hut nearby.
History
Thurman Cemetery
Joseph and Mary Jane (Dusenbury) Thurman came to this part of Edwards county in 1882. In 1885, Mary Jane was the first to be buried in what became the Thurman Family Cemetery. Grave markers record infant deaths and victims of typhoid and other diseases that plagued the pioneers.
History
Turner-Davis Ranch Headquarters
Located nineteen miles west of Rocksprings, the Turner-Davis Ranch Headquarters is a testimonial to the ranching way of life. Established in 1921, the ranch is located in the Edwards Plateau region. The rugged terrain is composed of limestone bedrock and thickets of oak, mesquite and cedar.