History
Alameda Cemetery
The earliest Anglo settlers in this area were drawn together by the harsh life they found in Texas. William Mansker, who came to Texas with his family in the mid-19th century, set aside a portion of his land for use as a school and community cemetery. The first burial in Alameda Cemetery is the subject of some debate.
Transport
Bankhead Highway through Eastland County
Early 20th century development of the automobile led to major road system improvements throughout the United States. Senator John H. Bankhead of Alabama sponsored the 1916 Federal Aid Road Act, which supplied matching funds to states to upgrade roads. The Bankhead Highway became an east-to-west transcontinental highway from Washington, D.C. to San Diego.
Military
Camp Salmon, C.S.A.
Guarding the frontier during the Civil War, this camp was located 17 mi. west, 6 mi. north. Established as part of a chain of posts a day's horseback ride apart stretching from Red River to Rio Grande. Occupied by Texas Frontier Regiment. Named for Capt. John Salmon, frontier Indian fighter and post commander. Later renamed Camp McCord.
History
Carbon City Jail
During a jailbreak, Carbon's 1905 jail was destroyed, resulting in the need for a more substantial calaboose. Built in 1921, this unadorned square plan building is composed of reinforced concrete walls and a steel door. The structure had no lights or heat, and was intended as temporary holding until prisoners were transferred to other cities.
History
Cisco College
O.C. Britton opened Cisco's first college in 1909, with a campus established on 212 acres of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad survey. The school closed after the onset of World War I, and the site was used by a series of three later colleges that opened and closed by 1938.
History
Connellee-Majestic Theatre
Built in 1920 by C.U. Connellee, the "Father of Eastland", this theatre hosted numerous road shows, musical performances, and plays, and was a noted showplace for many years. Purchased by Interstate Theatres in 1946, the building was remodeled for use as a movie theatre and renamed Majestic.
History
Desdemona Cemetery
The town of Desdemona was a well established frontier community by the 1870s; a post office opened there in 1877. J. S. and Rosa Jones deeded one acre from the D. W. Funderburgh land survey for a "public graveyard" in 1880. The earliest marked grave is that of William E. Wright (1815-1878). It is likely that older unmarked burials exist among the oak trees here.
History
Early Banking in Eastland
The evolution of Eastland banks reflects local economic conditions and global influences. Soon after the Texas and Pacific Railway reached town in October 1880, a Mr. Berry of Stephenville opened the first bank in Eastland in Jacob Alexander's dry goods store. Eastland National Bank began in the fall of 1890 on the square, with Major W.H. Parvin as president and John T. Yeargin as cashier.
History
Early Settlers of Eastland County
First known Eastland area inhabitant was Frank Sanchez (d. 1867), who grazed herds here in the 1850s. The United States in 1853 established Army posts at Fort Phantom Hill, in present Taylor County, and Fort Belknap, in present Young County, giving the frontier protection against hostile Indians.
History
Eastland
County seat, Eastland County. Named for William M. Eastland--Texas War for Independence hero who was in Mier Expedition against Mexico, and was executed in "Black Bean" lottery at Rancho Salado in 1842. Most noted early local people were Comanches, who resisted occupation of area by white settlers. The last recorded Indian raid in county was in 1874.
History
Eastland County Courthouse
The Texas Legislature created Eastland County in 1858, but sparse settlement delayed organization until 1873, when Merriman (8 mi. NE) became the first county seat. Charles Connellee and Jack Daugherty platted the new town of Eastland near the center of the county, and by a vote of 67 to 60 the county seat moved here in 1875. The commissioners met in a stone building across from the town square.
History
Ellison Family Graveyard
The first settler in this part of Eastland County, James Madison Ellison (1840-1923) built a cabin near Ellison Springs in 1858. He married Eliza Jane McGough and was a stock farmer in this area for half a century. As a young man, he was permanently disabled while serving in a militia company defending frontier homes against hostile Indian attack.
History
Ellison Springs
Used for centuries by Indians inhabiting the region. Named for James Madison Ellison (1840-1923), a native of Alabama, who was the first settler in this section of Eastland County, erecting a cabin near the springs in Oct. 1958. He soon married Eliza McGough, a member of another pioneer family, and had 3 children.
History
First National Bank
Scene of daring Santa Claus Bank Robbery, Dec. 23, 1927. During Christmas festivities, costumed Santa and three fellow bandits looted bank of $12,200 cash, $150,000 in securities. They escaped through gun battle with two little girls as hostages. A three-day manhunt followed. The children and money were recovered; the robbers captured. Six persons were killed, eight injured.
History
First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County
The J.H. McCleskey No. 1 Discovery Well of the Ranger Pool was drilled by Warren Wagner under the supervision of W.K. Gordon of the Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company, July 2-October 27, 1917. Initial production was 1600 barrels with three million feet of gas. Abandoned May 30, 1930 after producing 275,000 barrels of oil.
Military
Fort Blair, C.S.A.
A few miles to the southwest. Largest far western "family fort" used throughout Civil War. Started by C.C. Blair, 1857 settler. 1861-1865 occupants were Wm. Arthur, Blair, J.M. Ellison; Jasper, Jim and Tom Gilbert; W.C. McGough, W.H. Mansker and sometimes others. The fort had 12 log cabins, 14 ft. square, 14 ft. apart in two parallel rows. Pickets walled spaces between cabins.
History
Hargus Farm
North Carolina native Larry Hargus (1810-87) and his wife Mary (Corder) (1824-1910) came to Eastland County in 1879. In 1881 they bought the original tract of their farm at this site from C.U. Connellee, a founder of Eastland. Members of the Hargus family were active in the development of a local Methodist church and a son, James, was a Texas Ranger and a Civil War veteran.
History
Merriman Cemetery
According to local tradition this site was established as a community graveyard about 1873, the year Eastland County was organized and one year prior to the community of Merriman's selection as county seat. Although there are many unmarked gravestones in the cemetery, the earliest recorded burial is that of Orthosias Scarborough (d. 1879).
History
Near Sites of Kokomo School
First building erected in this once-thriving community was a one-room log schoolhouse, 1886. Only furnishings were a stove and split-log benches. In 1899 better equipment was acquired and a larger (30' x 60') frame building was erected. In 1907 it was enlarged to two rooms. This school was consolidated with the Carbon School in 1949. (1969)
History
Oakwood Cemetery
OAKWOOD CEMETERY DOLPHIN WILLIAM BINT (1845-1883) CAME TO THE UNITED STATES FROM ENGLAND IN 1876 AND SETTLED IN EASTLAND COUNTY IN THE RED GAP COMMUNITY. WHILE ON A JOURNEY TO FORT WORTH TO BUY LUMBER FOR THEIR HOME, HIS WIFE GAVE BIRTH TO A STILLBORN SON. HIS BURIAL UNDER AN OAK TREE IN THE FAMILY'S PASTURE BECAME THE FIRST IN OAKWOOD CEMETERY.
History
Old Mobley Hotel
First hotel owned by Conrad Hilton, who proceeded to become "The World's Foremost Innkeeper". Built in 1916, who sold out (1919) during Cisco's great oil boom to Hilton, then a 32-year-old ex-legislator and banker from New Mexico. On night of purchase Hilton "dreamed of Texas wearing a chain of Hilton hotels". In time reality outran that dream.
History
Old Shinoak Springs
Named for dwarf oaks. Before fencing began in 1880's, springs attracted cattle, horses, deer. Settlers hauled water for home and stock use. Town of Shinoak Springs thrived until M.K.&T. Railroad bypassed it in 1880. Schoolhouse of rawhide lumber was built in 1882. Had seats of split logs. Pupils numbered 55. School grounds drew crowds of 8,000 for political rallies and camp meetings.
Architecture
Penn House
This Cumberland-plan vernacular farmhouse was built in 1898-1899 by Velzie W. Penn (1876-1954) with the help of his brothers and neighbors. Penn and his wife Addie, who lived here for over fifty years, were the parents of four sons, all of whom were born in the house. Originally consisting of three large rooms and a porch, the home was later enlarged.
History
Pioneer Cemetery
Tradition holds that Captain A.M. Curry suggested the name for the Pioneer community, established in 1883. Bill Smith became its first postmaster in 1885. The burial here of Mrs. S.A. Briggs (believed to be Catherine P. Owsley Briggs) in 1879, however, predates the community development. Landowners William L.
Industry & Science
Prairie Oil and Gas Company Housing
The Eastland County oil boom, 1917-1922, prompted construction of many of Eastland's substantial public and residential structures. Prairie Oil and Gas Company began oil exploration in the county, and in 1919 erected housing in this area for their company officials. W.I.