History
Good Hope Cemetery
Attracted to the area by its fertile soil, good water supply, and abundant building materials, pioneers from Tennessee, Missouri, Georgia, Arkansas, and Wisconsin settled here in the 1850s. Their colony, located on the Ben Rue Survey, was first known as the Rue Settlement.
History
Graham-Argyle Cemetery
This burial ground served the farming community of Graham which grew up here after the Civil War. First known interment was that of an infant, George Isbell, on December 10, 1865. An adjacent structure housed a school and Graham Baptist Church. After 1881, most of the settlers moved to the nearby town of Argyle on the Texas and Pacific Railroad.
History
Gregg Ranch
Darius Gregg (1804-70), who came to Texas from Tennessee in 1827, and fought in the Texas War for Independence, accumulated about 20,000 acres in this area in the early 1850s. Gregg, a surveyor and Houston Realtor, spent several summers here before his death. His son, William Bowen Gregg (1849-89), moved from Houston and operated the ranch in 1870s and early 1880s.
History
Harrington, Cassady and Clark Cemeteries
The Harrington, Cassady, and Clark Cemeteries are three separate historically African American cemeteries all located on 1.77 acres in Denton County. The land was originally owned by the Harrington family and is the site of the Harrington cemetery. Cassady and Clark Cemeteries were moved to their current location adjoining Harrington Cemetery in 1953 when the U. S.
History
Here Stood the Home_John Simpson Chisum
Here stood the home from 1856 to 1862 of John Simpson Chisum, cattle king. Born, August 16, 1824. Died, September 22, 1884 at Paris, Texas. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Historical Building
Built in 1912-13 to serve as a library and gymnasium, this is the oldest remaining building on the North Texas campus. It became known as the Historical Building in 1925, when history professor Joseph Lyman Kingsbury (1880-1949) began a museum that was housed here until 1986. The institution's eclectic collection included published works and artifacts from around the world.
History
I.O.O.F. Cemetery
Denton Lodge No. 82 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) was chartered in 1859 by a number of the area's most prominent settlers, including John S. Chisum of the Chisum Trail fame. That year I.O.O.F. charter member and Denton merchant James M. Smoot (1822-1862) donated land here for graveyard purposes.
History
Jacob Frederick Elsasser
Born in Germany in 1834, Jacob Frederick Elsasser migrated to this country with his father and brothers. They operated a cigar factory in Chicago until it was destroyed in the great Chicago fire of 1871. Elsasser moved to Texas with his Swiss-born wife, Catharine (1832-1903), and built a 2-story farm house east of Sanger. After it burned, they erected this residence in 1901.
History
James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House
James Newton Rayzor was born December 10, 1858 in Lockport, Kentucky. He immigrated to Texas in the fall of 1866 with his family and settled in Collin County. In 1871, the family moved to Cooke County where Rayzor later taught school at Prairie Grove and at pilot point and mustang community in Denton County.
History
Johns' Well and Campgrounds
In 1884 this site was designated as a religious campground by the members of the Prairie Mound Methodist Church. Johns' well, named for former owner Hardin Johns, provided the steady water supply needed by campers, area settlers and travelers. During annual ten-day camp meetings, families camped around the brush arbor where services were held.
History
Justin
Located in the rich, fertile, softly rolling prairie land of north central Texas, Justin is situated at the confluence of the Denton, Oliver and Trail creeks. For many years Native American tribes flourished in the area. In 1841, John B. Denton was killed near Fort Worth in the Village Creek Battle and was buried in an unmarked grave at the juncture of Denton and Oliver creeks.
History
Lewisville Prehistoric Site
During the construction of Lewisville Dam in 1950, a number of aboriginal artifacts were unearthed; archeologists conducted several excavations (1952-57) before the waters of Garza-Little Elm Reservoir covered the site. The excavations revealed 21 hearths, vegetable matter, animal bone fragments and lignite (coal) which was used for fuel.
Architecture
Martin-Russell House
This prominent residence was built in 1925-27 at a cost of $30,000 for Dr. M.L. Martin (1869-1941) and his wife, Ailsey (Forester) Martin (1890-1968). Ailsey grew up on the nearby Forester Ranch (established 1852) and received one-third of the ranch of the famous "Two-I-Jinglebob" brand when it was divided in 1913. Dr.
History
McCurley Cemetery
The McCurley family of Illinois settled in Denton County in 1852. George Collins McCurley set aside land for a burial ground, church, and school. A traveling stranger may have been the first burial, but George's brother, Abraham, who died in 1871, was the first family member buried at the site. The first marked graves date from 1877, when the plot began to be used by neighbors.
History
Medlin Cemetery
In 1847 Charles Medlin (1807-1864) and his wife Matilda (Allen) migrated from Missouri with their household and 20 other families to take up land grants on Denton Creek. Also in the wagon train and colony were Charles Medlin's widowed mother and his brother Lewis. Floods broke up the first Medlin settlement, at times called "Garden Valley.
History
Milliken House
Built by William Dickerson Milliken, born in Paducah, Ky., Nov. 1, 1848; married Margaret Crockett Young. Children: W. D., Jr.; Samuel Ramsey, M.D.; Thomas Gillespie; Martin Horace; Maggie Bell (Mrs. Edens); Charles Young; Elizabeth Angelina; John Barnes. After going into mercantile business in Lewisville in 1877, Milliken built this house, 1878. Framing is native oak.
Architecture
Mounts House
Robert Noble Mounts (1863-1922) and Nannie Lee (Christal) Mounts (1870-1942) built this home in 1898. The Mounts family came to Denton County in the 1850s from Virginia. In 1857, Robert Mounts' father, W.H. Mounts, relocated his mercantile business from nearby Alton to the west side of the town square with the move of the Denton County Seat.
History
Mounts-Wright House
The Mounts family first arrived in Denton County in the 1850s from Virginia. W.H. Mounts (1833-1889) and his wife, Martha Elizabeth (Mattie) Mounts (1838-1914), were early residents of the new county seat of Denton, which had been moved from New Alton in 1857. Through their businesses, farming and landowning, the family contributed significantly to the early developments of Denton. W.H.
History
Noah C. Batis
A native of Illinois, Noah C. Batis (1860-1950) came to Texas at an early age. In 1881 and 1882, he worked as a cowboy driving cattle up the Chisholm Trail to Kansas. He came to Sanger in 1889 and ten years later, at this site, established the Sanger Stock Farm, which became known for its fine horses, mules, and other livestock.
Entertainment & Sports
North Texas State Fair and Rodeo
NORTH TEXAS STATE FAIR AND RODEO THE FIRST RECORDED FAIR IN THE DENTON AREA OPENED ON OCTOBER 15, 1885 AS THE DENTON COUNTY BLOODED STOCK AND FAIR. THROUGHOUT THE LATE 1800s AND EARLY 1900s, AREA FAIRS CONTINUED TO RECOGNIZE LOCAL LIVESTOCK AND AGRICULTURAL COMPETITORS. THE NORTH TEXAS STATE FAIR, AS IT IS KNOWN TODAY, BEGAN AS THE DENTON COUNTY FAIR IN 1928 AND WAS OFFICIALLY CHARTERED IN 1930.
History
Oakwood Cemetery
This cemetery was established soon after Denton was settled as the new seat of government for Denton County in 1857. Land for the community burial ground was donated by pioneer settler Hiram Cisco, who had earlier conveyed property for the townsite. The earliest grave is that of a Mrs. Wilson, who died during childbirth while traveling through the area in a covered wagon.
History
Old Alton Cemetery
With burials dating to 1852, this graveyard is associated with some of the earliest settlement in Denton County. In that year, Rebecca Daugherty, daughter of one of the pioneer families, died and was buried on family property. Over time, burials of neighbors and relatives continued on the site, and in 1909 the land was donated and dedicated as a private cemetery.
History
Old Hall Cemetery
In the 1840's the Republic of Texas government granted colonization contracts to people who would advertise and bring new settlers to Texas. The Peters Colony, led by W. S. Peters, was located in North Texas and included the area later known as Denton County. In 1844 families began arriving in this area, including those of John and James Holford of Missouri.
History
Peters Colony
(within area encompassed by) A reservation of land made under an Empresario contract by the Republic of Texas, 1841. Its purpose was to introduce colonists into this area. Under the first of four contracts, W. S. Peters and 19 partners agreed to introduce 600 families in three years, to furnish each with seed, shot, and a cabin, and also to survey the land.
History
Pilot Point Post-Signal
First published as the "Pilot Point Post," this newspaper was established in 1878 by David J. Moffitt (1848-1917) and James T. Jones (1845-1915). In its early years, "The Post" supported the democratic party and local commerce and opposed the lawless element in town.