History
Deaf Smith County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized October 3, 1890. Named in honor of Erastus "Deaf" Smith, 1787-1837. Came to Texas in 1821. Rendered valuable service as a scout and spy during the Texas Revolution and was conspicuous for his bravery in the Battle of San Jacinto. County Seat, La Plata, frequently called Grenada, 1890-1898. Hereford, since 1899.
Architecture
Deaf Smith Courthouse, 1910
Brick with marble veneer and interior. Second marble courthouse built in U.S. Cost was $125,000. After hotly-contested bond issue election, Judge John Slaton and winners paraded Main Street behind the band. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Former Site of Saint Anthony's Catholic School
Since its establishment in 1914 Saint Anthony's Catholic School has played a prominent role in preparing young students for advanced classwork. Initial classes were held in a former Deaf Smith County courthouse converted for church purposes by Father Salvator di Giovanni, S.A., and his assistant, Brother James.
History
Ghost Towns of Deaf Smith County
Here as in many Texas counties, ghost towns and ghost post offices outnumber living ones. La Plata (formerly Grenada) thrived as county seat and was a major stop on New Mexico-Amarillo Road, 1880s and 90s. Its 28 houses and businesses were removed to Hereford with the county government in 1898. Ayr, which lost county seat to La Plata, 1890, had an early post office and a few frame buildings.
History
Hereford Christian College
Hereford College opened 1902 as co-educational public school in newly-built three-story main building. By 1903, college was transferred to Christian Church for needed financial support. Renamed Add-Ran College. The next year, name changed to Panhandle Christian College. Relying on tuition alone for support, college was forced to close in 1912. Housed Hereford High School, 1915-26.
History
Hereford High School
In 1898, a relocated frame schoolhouse served students of Hereford. New buildings came as attendance increased, and in 1916 the school board converted the former Hereford Christian College building into a high school. Rural school consolidation led to more students and a successful $125,000 bond issue for a new high school in 1925. E. F.
History
Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery
Early settlers to this area included the J.C. Womble family, which came in January 1892. The next year, the community obtained land on which to build a schoolhouse, known as the Union School. In May 1893, George D. Whitfield, a young cowboy, was buried in what was the schoolyard. His is the first marked burial, although two earlier graves were known to exist at the time.
History
Pioneer Windmill
A wind-driven machine for pumping water. Its use made gardening easier and led to irrigated farming on arid High Plains. With barbed wire, it enabled settlers and stockmen to penetrate region in 1870s. Town had name "Windmill City" because of some 400 towers once on landscape. (1970)
History
Prisoner of War Camp Chapel
(3.5 mi. S) A prisoner of war camp, used primarily for Italian soldiers, was in operation near this site during World War II. Known as the Hereford Military Reservation and Reception Center, it was first used in 1943 for prisoners captured in an invasion of North Africa. Many of the approximately 7000 Italian soldiers imprisoned here became friends with local residents and with American troops.
History
The E. B. Black Residence
In 1901 Alabama-born E. B. Black (1866-1945) brought his family to Hereford from Cleburne, Texas. He opened a furniture store and became a prosperous merchant and rancher. In 1909 Black hired contractor Emmett Vanderburgh to build this Late Victorian house. The Blacks were active in church and cultural affairs and this residence was often the site of community gatherings.
History
The Thompson House
Land developer S. S. Evants built this home in 1906. The following year Alex Thompson (1883-1956) bought the house and then sold it to his mother Jennie Thompson in 1908. Thompson, his wife Audrey (Argo), and their two daughters lived here with his mother and her sister Jessie Morris.
History
Town of Dawn
Had second post office in county, in 1889. Named by pioneers who saw here the "dawning of a new country." Santa Fe Railroad station house (a box car) was first building on site, 1905. Town was developed by W.E. Neal and sons in 1914, with lumber yard, hotel, bank and store. Now center of farming industry. (1970)
Quirky
Town Without a Toothache
Hereford's "miracle water" was brought to national fame in 1941 when Dr. Edward Taylor, State Dental Officer, told the American Dental Association that tooth decay was almost unknown here. This ideal situation had been discovered by a local dentist, Dr. George Heard, originally from Alabama. In a cross-section survey, dentists found that few local people had dental cavities.
History
Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel
Hereford's mid-1913 equipment to fight fires. Hand-propelled, or (at a $5 bonus) hauled by the auto or horses of a bystander. Reel cost only $133, but in two months was discarded: a motor truck with ladders was bought. Prior to 1913 the fire wagon in almost every Texas town was drawn by a fine team of horses, trained to trot into place at sound of the fire whistle.