History
Town of Lancaster
Founded by A. Bledsoe (1801 - 1882), from Kentucky, joined by his son-in-law, Roderick A. Rawlins (1833 - 1910), and Mrs. Mildred Parks Rawlins (1789 - 1875). The elder Rawlins family came to this locality in 1844. Bledsoe, later to become Texas State Comptroller, settled here in 1846.
History
Travis College Hill Addition
Between 1910 and 1920, the population of Garland increased from about 800 to more than 1,400. Accompanying the growth of the town was a plan by the Eastern Texas Traction Company to build an interurban electric trolley line.
History
Trees Cemetery
Crawford Trees (1823-1889) came to Texas in 1845. He and fellow Illinois native Anna Kimmel (1831-1913) were married in 1846. Crawford went to California during the Gold Rush in 1849, returning to Texas two years later with enough money to purchase 5,458 acres of land. In 1855, he and Anna, eventually the parents of ten children, donated land for a community school and church.
History
Trinity Portland Cement Company Cemetery
El Camposanto de Cemento Grande De La Compania Trinity Portland The Southwestern States Portland Cement Company was established in this area in 1909. Many of the company's employees were Mexican immigrants who came to this area to escape the Mexican Revolution. The company name was changed after Trinity Portland Cement Company purchased the business in 1915.
History
Tueria Dell Marshall
(1883-1960) A native of Texas, Tueria Dell Marshall attended Wiley College and Prairie View Normal. He became a teacher in Dallas and worked at several schools before being named principal of Lincoln, the city's second high school for African American students, in 1939. He served in that capacity until retirement in 1955. In addition to education work, T.D.
Industry & Science
Turtle Creek Pump Station
Constructed in 1909 as a 15 million gallons per day primary pumping station for the city water supply, this brick industrial building was designed by Dallas architect C. A. Gill. Its location on high ground afforded protection from floods that had damaged earlier stations. The building features ornate masonry detailing in the Italianate style.
History
Union Bower Community
Attracted to the fertile land along the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, settlers first came to this area in the mid-19th century. William and Virginia Smith, of Pennsylvania, arrived in 1879. Soon thereafter, Charles and Lucy (Santerre) Voirin bought land north of the Smith's property. The families worked together to establish what became known as the Union Bower Community.
Transport
Union Station
By the early 1900s, Dallas needed a single rail terminal for the numerous railroads serving the city. In 1912 seven rail lines formed the Union Terminal Co. They hired Chicago architect Jarvis Hunt, who designed this neo-classical building with an elegant grand hall on the second floor. The facility officially opened Oct. 14, 1916, at the start of the state Fair.
History
Ursuline Academy
Bishop Claude Marie Dubuis, wishing to establish a Catholic school in the rapidly-growing area of North Texas, assigned six Galveston-based Ursuline nuns to the task in 1874. In January of that year Bishop Dubuis traveled with the sisters to Dallas and assisted them in opening the school.
Architecture
W. A. Strain Home
This residence was built for W. A. (1861 - 1907) and Minnie (White) Strain (1867 - 1957), whose pioneer family bought this property in 1846. Begun in 1895, the structure was completed in late 1896. Noted architect James E. Flanders of the Dallas firm of Flanders-Moad designed the frame Victorian house, with its ornate porch decoration and fishscale shingling. The Strain's son Ellis White (b.
History
W. P. Cochran Homeplace
W. P. Cochran Homeplace Once surrounded by cultivated fields, this residence was built for William P. Cochran (1841 - 1906), whose father bought the land in 1851 and whose mother Nancy Jane Cochran donated a portion of it for Cochran Chapel Methodist Church in 1856. This frame Victorian house, erected in 1895, was occupied by Cochran, his wife Amanda (1846 - 1930), and their large family.
History
W.W. Glover Cemetery
Early Dallas County settler George W. Glover acquired this land in 1844. The property was first used as a cemetery for the interment of five-year old Sarah Beeman who died on Mar. 22, 1857. In 1872 Glover deeded the property to his son William Wald Glover (1846 - 1928) for whom the cemetery was named.
History
Warner Cemetery
In 1852, Robert and Sarah Dean Warner brought their family to Texas from Ireland. As members of the Peters Colony, they acquired land in this area and established a farm. This family graveyard was begun upon the death of Robert Warner, Jr., in 1873. There are a total of 10 marked graves, and all except two are Warner family members. At least one unmarked grave is known to exist.
History
Warren Angus Ferris Cemetery
New York native Warren Angus Ferris (1810 - 1873) spent six years as a trapper and chronicler of the American West before moving to the Republic of Texas in late 1836. As official surveyor for Nacogdoches County he surveyed the Three Forks of the Trinity area and helped set the boundaries for Dallas and other nearby counties. He wrote many articles for early Dallas newspapers.
History
Webb Chapel Cemetery
Isaac B. (1802-1880) and Mary H. (1816-1887) Webb and their family came to this area of the Peters Colony in 1844. Within a year, the couple led in the formation of a Methodist society, the first church organized in Dallas County. A log structure, known as Webb Chapel, that also served as the first school of this growing settlement, was built in 1846.
History
Western Heights Cemetery
Located on part of the original William Coombes Survey, burials in this cemetery date to the 1850s. Originally known as Troth, it was formally dedicated in 1881, when land was set aside for a "graveyard forever" by Z.E. Coombes and W.R. Fisher. Pioneers interred here include W.R. Fisher, Z.E. Coombes, John and Rosina Loupot, Mary Ellen Cole Tuggle, and Heinrich and Anna Struck.
History
Wheatland Cemetery
Wheatland Cemetery has served this area since the mid-1800s. Originally named the Branson-Brotherton Cemetery, this burial ground is on property donated by Tom Branson and H.K. Brotherton. The two men, Ohio natives, both were farmers and owners of large tracts of land and are buried here. The cemetery also has roots with Methodist congregations.
History
Wheeler School
Kentuckian William J. (Uncle Billy) Wheeler came to this part of Texas soon after the end of the Civil War. In 1870 he deeded land to the Houston and Texas Central Railway for the townsite that became the city of Richardson and for the railroad right-of-way. In 1880 Wheeler provided a public school just northwest of this site for Richardson area children.
Nature
White Rock Dam, Reservoir and Park
Early Dallas residents relied on natural springs, Artesian Wells and the Trinity River for their water. By the early 1900s, these sources began to prove inadequate for the growing city. In 1909, under Mayor Stephen J. Hay, the city began acquiring 2,292 acres of land to build a reservoir on White Rock Creek. The Fred A. Jones Co.
Nature
White Rock Pump Station
In response to increased population and extended droughts in the early 1900s, this facility was built to provide an additional water supply for the city of Dallas. Designed and built in 1911 by the city engineering department, the Renaissance Revival structure features corbelled brick and terra cotta details.
History
William B. Lipscomb Elementary School
This school, built in 1920 to relieve the crowded conditions of area schools, was named for early educator William B. Lipscomb. A Tennessee native (b. 1860), Lipscomb served as principal of Dallas High School from 1894 until his death five years later. The three-story structure, designed by architect Herbert M.
History
William Sachse Cemetery
William Sachse, a native of Prussia, arrived in nearby Collin County in 1845 as a Peters colonist. He became a successful businessman, rancher, and trader, and participated in several cattle drives to Kansas. His business successes over time allowed him to acquire more than 5000 acres of land in Collin and Dallas Counties.
History
William Sidney Pittman
Pioneer African American Architect William Sidney Pittman was born in Montgomery, Alabama on April 21, 1875. Pittman attended segregated public schools in Montgomery and Birmingham before enrolling at the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute in Tuskegee, Alabama in 1892 at the age of 17.
History
Wilson Block
This historic neighborhood is located on land patented in 1838 to Illinois native John Grigsby. Dallas businessman Frederick P. Wilson and his wife Henrietta Frichot Wilson acquired the site in 1898 and built their residence (2922 Swiss Avenue) and six other houses. Owned by the Wilsons for almost eighty years, the houses became the nucleus of the Wilson Block.
History
Winnetka Heights
Promoted as Dallas' ideal suburb, Winnetka Heights was platted in 1908 on a tract of land that was originally included in the midway addition to the city. The neighborhood's developers, outstanding men who made other significant contributions to the growth of Dallas, were L. A. Stemmons, T. S. Miller, Jr., R. S. Waldron and J. P. Blake.