Military
Battle of the Freshwater Fork of the Brazos
In Sep. 1871, Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie and the 4th U.S. Cavalry received permission to lead an expedition from Fort Griffin (Shackelford County) and engage Comanche who had refused to move to their designated reservation at Fort Sill (Oklahoma territory). Soon after midnight on October 11, 1871, the Comanche surprised Col. Mackenzie's U.S.
History
Big Four School
The community of big four lies a few miles north of Crosbyton. The W.H. Hames and M.A. Reynolds families moved here in 1902 and 1909, respectively, and four houses were built on land owned by the Morrison brothers around one windmill which supplied water for all four houses. With the coming of settlers, the parker and fowler families soon called for a school house. In 1909 Hames and S.K.
History
Citizens National Bank
Site of Crosbyton's first bank. In 1909, First State Bank (soon named First National) opened in a new two-story concrete block and stone building, erected by C. B. Livestock Company. For bank, office use. In 1917, Citizens National Bank (est. 1905) purchased the property upon its move here from Emma, then county seat. December 14, 1929, the two banks merged.
History
City of Ralls
Founded by John R. Ralls, who donated land for a townsite. He erected greater part of the business district and gave free sites plus much of the cost of building each church in town. In 1911, he contributed 12 acres for school site. He also offered donation of 2,000 acres for site of Texas Technological College. Ralls, born in Culloden, Georgia, November 13, 1863; moved West in 1880's.
History
Cole-McNeill-Jones House
Handy P. Cole (1864-1923), foreman of the Spur Ranch and later sheriff of Dickens County, bought this property in 1897. The original part of this house was built about 1900. In 1904 James Calvin McNeill, Jr. (1875-1949) bought the place and moved here from his father's adjoining ranch. In 1917 additions were made to the residence.
History
Crosby County
In memory of Henry Clay Smith, 'Uncle Hank'...Born in Germany, August 15, 1836, died, May 20, 1912 and Elizabeth Boyle Smith, 'Aunt Hank,'...Born July 12, 1848, died, June 5, 1925....Pioneers of the Plains, builders of the Rock House, 1877, a monument to frontier hospitality........They sleep above the Cap Rock, at Old Emma. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Crosby County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized September 20, 1886. Named in honor of Stephen Crosby 1800-1869. Came to Texas in 1845. Commissioner of the General Land Office. County seat, Estacado, 1886. Emma, 1890. Crosbyton, since 1911.
History
Crosby County Courthouses
Crosby County, created in 1876 and organized 1886, had its first county seat at Estacado (founded 1879 by a colony of Quakers). It was on a mail and stage road, in the northeast corner of the county. Freight hauling of materials was slow. County offices were in dugouts, shacks and wagons for two years, until the first courthouse could be completed in 1888.
History
Crosbyton
Founded 1908 on "cutting grounds" of C.B. Livestock Company which built a school, supply store, railroad and inn to encourage settlers. By 1911, had 1,000 citizens; was county seat. Today is center of rich irrigated farm land. Home of Pioneer Museum. Gateway to White River Dam. (1966)
History
Crosbyton Cemetery
Established in 1909, this cemetery was once part of a 90,000-acre ranch operated by the C. B. Livestock Company. Julian Bassett, part owner of the company and donor of the Crosbyton townsite, also gave the land for this burial ground when James Boggs, a cowboy on the ranch, was ill and was thought to be dying. The first burial was that of 18-month-old Willie Oliver.
History
Emma
In the spring of 1891, merchants R.L. Stringfellow and H.E. Hume of nearby Estacado founded the town of Emma, named in honor of Stringfellow's future wife, Emma Savior (or Sevall). The two men organized a general store and laid out the townsite, which opened with a picnic and town lots sale.
History
Emma Cemetery
Burial site of 12 Civil War veterans and County's first settlers, H. C. and Elizabeth Smith (died 1912 and 1925). Established in 1891 on land donated by J. W. Holt for the grave of his brother-in-law, Levi Jones. Land was bought by R. L. and R. R. Travis and deeded to Crosby County in 1917. 1968
History
Estacado Cemetery
In 1878 Paris Cox (1846-1888), an Indiana Quaker, visited this area with a group of buffalo hunters. Attracted by the abundance of cheap farm land, he returned to Indiana and began advertising his plans for a Quaker colony here. Although the first colonists who arrived in 1879 were discouraged by a severe winter, other settlers, including those of various religious beliefs, soon moved to the area.
History
Farmer Community
Girlhood home of Mrs. Ima Smith, First Lady of Texas, wife of Governor Preston Smith. Settlement began here in 1887. The school district was created in 1893, with its early building funded by gifts from friends, including residents of Amarillo and Colorado City.
History
High Plains Pioneer Henry Clay Smith
(1836 - 1912) First to set up a post office and to farm in Crosby County; first to break land and drill a water well on High Plains. At start of Civil War, he was miner at Pinos Altos, New Mexico and joined in moves to take gold and silver mines for South. But Indian raids closed mines.
History
J. J. Pierce
Born at Blum, Texas. Became Sheriff of Crosby County in January 1947. Was killed in line of duty while arresting a bootlegger at Ralls, Texas. Dedicated to enforcement of law--a man of quiet courage and fearless character. Father of eight children. Recorded - 1967
History
John R. Ralls Building
The largest of more than two blocks of business houses built between 1915 and 1919 by John R. Ralls, founder of this town. Used by the First National Bank which closed in 1930; the housed the Southwestern Public Service office until 1964.
History
John Robinson Ralls
Born on a Monroe County, Georgia, plantation; came to Texas, 1890. In 1906, traded flourishing general store for 10,000-acre ranch. Founded Ralls, 1911, at point where Crosbyton-South Plains Railroad crossed land. Donated land for townsite and gave 12 acres for first school. Built most of business houses including first theater. Gave lots plus much of construction costs for all churches in town.
History
Julian M. Bassett
(Dec. 4, 1873 - Dec. 29, 1947) New York native Julian Marcus Bassett migrated to Texas with his parents in 1882. A rancher and businessman, he helped establish the C. B. Livestock Company. In order to promote company land sales in the area, Bassett had the townsite of Crosbyton platted in 1907.
History
Lamar Building
Site of Crosbyton Inn, first hotel here, built 1908, by C. B. Livestock Company to help promote area for cotton farming. A two-story frame building, it was mecca for travelers and land buyers. After fire in 1912, hotel rebuilt over original basement. It was razed in 1920s. A brick office and apartment building was erected by E. H. Hendricks in 1926; purchased 1944 by W. P.
History
Lamar Family
In 1892 William Percy Lamar (1889-1946) came with his parents from Tarrant County to Crosby County, settling on a 160-acre homestead. He married Sarah Elzina Henson (1892-1963) in 1912. They prospered through farming, dairying, stock raising, and business. In 1957 Elzina established the Percy and Zina Lamar Foundation.
History
Lorenzo (History)
Founded when Crosbyton-South Plains Railway ran first train here, April 10, 1911. Named for Lorenzo Dow, employee of C. B. Livestock Company, which promoted the town, and in 1914 encouraged area to plant cotton. Incorporated in 1924. Now a center of cotton growing, with fine churches, school, businesses. 1966
History
Lorenzo Cemetery
In 1876, the Texas Legislature created the Crosby Land District, which included several present-day Panhandle counties. Ranchers soon began establishing large ranches throughout the region, and in 1890, brothers Avery, John Stuart, Howard and Prentiss Coonley of Chicago joined with Julian Bassett of New York to form the C.B. Livestock Company.
Military
Main Supply Camp on Historic Mackenzie Trail
(3 mi. SE) Trail followed by Gen. Ranald Mackenzie, U.S. 4th Cavalry in 1871 frontier campaign. He camped at Dewey Lake after brush with Indians. In 1872, he was again ordered to ferret out the Comanches. From his main supply camp on Brazos River Freshwater Fork (now White River), he launched a drive against Quanah Parker.
History
McNeill Ranch
In 1882 James Calvin McNeill (b. 1844), Brazoria County rancher, purchased 8,000 acres in Crosby County to expand his cattle business. Maintaining two distant ranches became difficult, so in 1890 George M. Williamson, his cousin, came to assist in the management of this property, later expanded to 18,240 acres. In 1902 James Calvin McNeill, Jr. (1875-1949) took over operation of the ranch.