History
Camp Melvin and the Pontoon Crossing of the Pecos River
As it winds its way across Texas, the Pecos River can often be swift and dangerous. Historically, frequent flooding made even the best crossings unusable. In May 1684, Spanish explorer Juan Domínguez de Mendoza and his expeditino team camped at a site south of here, now on private land, where they could safely cross the river. They named the location San Pantaleon. In 1840, trader Dr.
Transport
Comstock-Ozona Stage Stand, Site of
Flagstone ruins nearby mark site of early 1900's stage stand, first stop on passenger and mail line connecting Ozona with Southern Pacific railhead at Comstock--80 miles distant. When stage pulled in about 8:30 A.M. (having left Ozona at 5:00) agent had fresh horses in harness for next 20-mile run. Agent's family lived in tent with a flagstone floor.
Architecture
Crockett County Courthouse
Built 1902. Second courthouse for county. American Gothic architecture, planned by Oscar Ruffini, San Angelo. Material is fine stone quarried nearby on Meyer and Couch properties. Cost $30,000. Early day community social center. Used for cowboy dances, box suppers, Christmas trees, roundup celebrations. In 1909 arc light was added to steeple, to signal sheriff and guide travelers to town.
History
Crockett County Jail
Built 1892, about a year after county's organization; contractor was Z. D. Gafford of San Angelo. Building stone was quarried to north of structure, on Meyers property. Tower may have been designed for hangings, but no gallows were ever installed. Though never filled to capacity, inmates have included the 1954 robbers of Ozona National Bank.
Industry & Science
Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well
In 1923 World Oil Co., owned by Chester R. Bunker, Ft. Worth publisher and printer, began drilling on the L. P. Powell Ranch. Work progressed slowly, depending on the availability of money, under the direction of superintendent Mickey Green and the tool pusher known only as "Dangerous Dan." The wildcat operation proved successful in the spring of 1925, when the first well (10 mi.
History
Crockett, David
Was born in Tennessee on August 17, 1786 Participated in the Creek Indian Campaign 1813-1814 Member of the Tennessee House of Representatives 1821-1823. United States Congressman from Tennessee 1827-1831 and 1833-1835 Arrived in Texas in January 1836 Died a hero at the Alamo March the Sixth 1836. .. Be sure you are right - then go ahead ..
History
Emerald Townsite
The first platted town in Crockett County, Emerald was founded in 1889 by Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway Immigration Agent T. W. Wilkinson. It was to be an agricultural shipping point on a planned extension of the F.W. & R.G. Publicized from Maine to Minnesota for mild climate and fertile land, it acquired a post office on April 8, 1890.
Military
Fort Lancaster, C.S.A.
Site 33 miles west on US 90. Upon US surrender Texas Forts start of Civil War, made part Confederate far western frontier line. Occupied by 2nd Texas cavalry. On supply line to and from Arizona-New Mexico Campaign 1861-62, intended to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation.
Transport
High Lonesome Stage Stand
First station after leaving Ozona on the San Angelo-Ozona mail line. Here, at the 20-mile point of an 86-mile run, fresh horses awaited. The stand, built in 1902, served one of Texas' last commercial stage lines. Ten horses were kept here, as at the three other stations: Shoeingstand (where the horses were reshod each six weeks), Sherwood, and Knickerbocker.
History
Hoover, Laura and William Peery
Although Indians, Spaniards, wagon trains, and military expeditions crossed through this area earlier, the first permanent settlers in present-day Crockett County were native Texans Laura (McNutt) (1862-1941) and William Peery Hoover (1854-1922), who settled here in 1881.
History
Howard's Well
(19 miles to the southeast) First known to civilized men in the 18th century, when, according to legend, Franciscan Padre Alvarez prayed for water to ease his thirst, put down his staff, and saw a spring gush forth from the ground. This landmark of western travel was named for its rediscoverer, Richard A. Howard of San Antonio, an ex-Texas Ranger.
Architecture
O. W. Parker Ranch Headquarters
O. W. Parker (1876-1962) moved to Crockett County in 1902 and worked for local ranchers until he eventually established his own ranch. Parker had this house built for his family after the 1926 Yates oil field discovery brought prosperity to the region. Completed in 1930, it is a fine example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture.
History
Old Government Road
Route of march and troop supply on Texas frontier. Followed in part pre-Columbian Indian trails and "Old Chihuahua Trail" that ran from San Antonio to El Paso and Mexico. In 1840s this was extended to Gulf Coast Port of Indianola where imported goods arrived from the United States and Europe, and were freighted out to be exchanged in Chihuahua for ore of silver and gold, leather goods, and other…
Military
One Fourth-Mile North to Ruins of Fort Lancaster
[1936 inscription] One-Fourth Mile North to Ruins of Fort Lancaster. Established in 1855 by the United States government as a protection to travelers and mail on the overland route from San Antonio to San Diego. Abandoned in 1861. Reoccupied in 1868 for a short time. Erected by the State of Texas 1936. [1966 inscription] Ruins of Fort Lancaster.
History
Ozona Hotel, Old
Built about 1893. From its early days, boarded teachers, visiting athletic teams and business callers in city. Noted guests of 1919-1921 were geologists and lease men seeking to develop the now-significant oil fields of Crockett County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968
History
Ozona Junior High School
The first permanent school building in Ozona; constructed of native limestone in 1910-1912, when Ozona was only 21 years old. The heating and ventilating system, never before used in the state when installed here, is still in operation daily. County school superintendent and judge, C. E. Davidson, was the general foreman of construction. Walter Kyle oversaw stonework.
History
Ozona National Bank
Constructed 1905 for county's first financial institution. Organized by cattle and sheep ranchers and the town's doctor. During construction of native stone building, banking was done next door in store of L. B. Cox, vice-president. J. W. Henderson was president. Directors were Dr. A. W. Clayton, S. E. Couch, Wm. P. Hoover, Robert Massie and J. B. Moore. J. B. Reilly was cashier.
History
Ozona Stockman, The
In 1892 Claude B. Hudspeth (1877-1941) began publication of a weekly newspaper called the "Ozona Kicker." Following his three-year ownership, Hudspeth entered politics, serving first in the Texas Legislature and later as representative from the Sixteenth Texas District to the United States Congress. The newspaper was published by later owners as the "Enterprise," "Courier," and "Optimist.
Industry & Science
Ozona-Barnhart Trap Company
By the 1920s many ranchers in Crockett County had fenced their land, preventing their neighbors from driving sheep and cattle to the railroad shipping point in Barnhart (23 miles north of here). A solution to the problem was offered by the Ozona-Barnhart Trap Co., which was organized in Ozona in 1924.
Civic & Local
Ozona's First Water Well
(Drilled 1891) Focus for civic life in early Ozona. City founder E.M. Powell provided the water well equipped with 18-foot windmill, a water trough, and a small cypress tank. At first meeting of Crockett County Commissioners Court, July 22, 1891, under a liveoak near the well, the sheriff was instructed to operate the city water works.
Civic & Local
Ozona's Water System
This site was selected for the Crockett County seat in 1891 because of a producing water well (200' NW). Joe Moss, who drilled for water throughout the area, dug the well for E. M. Powell (1847-1925), railroad surveyor, financier, and land developer. Powell laid out the town, donated the water well, windmill, storage cistern, and land for public buildings.
History
Powell, Ernest Malapert
A native of Illinois, E. M. Powell was a surveyor and railroad engineer in Kentucky before moving to Texas in 1874. He worked as a surveyor during the railroad construction boom in Texas in the 1870s, taking parcels of land in payment for his services. By 1878 Powell and a partner, E. L. Gage, opened a real estate and land surveying company in Dallas.
Military
Ruins of Fort Lancaster
Established in 1855 by the United States Government as a protection to travelers and mail on the overland route from San Antonio to San Diego. Abandoned in 1861. Reoccupied in 1868 for a short time. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole
The Chihuahua Trail was opened by segments, but was not called by this name until the 19th century. A small part of the route, along the nearby Pecos River, was followed by the Spaniard Gaspar Castano de Sosa in 1590, during an expedition to New Mexico. By 1850, the trail was finally extended to connect the city of Chihuahua and the Texas Gulf Coast, by way of San Antonio.
History
The Perner House
In 1893, T.L. Hammonds moved a 3-room frame house from the nearby town of Emerald to this site. In 1894, Phillip Perner (1860-1905), a local merchant, purchased and enlarged the structure. Following Perner's death, his wife, Mary Ross Perner (1864-1942), and their 11 children continued to live here.