History
J. D. "Ikard" Sugg
J.D. 'Ikard' Sugg (1854-1925) Joseph D. Sugg was born in Mississippi, the youngest of 13 children. After his mother's death, he headed west, working on a cattle drive heading north from the Red River in 1868. Later a rancher in partnership with brother Cal, he leased lands in Indian Territory (Oklahoma) and Texas, and sold horses to the government of Mexico.
History
Kiowa Raid of 1868 (SW Part of County)
On Jan. 5-6, 1868, Chief Big Tree and 150 to 200 Kiowas raided Willa Walla Valley, Clear Creek and Blocker Creek. Burned homes; killed 13 people; scalped one woman alive. Captured 10 women and children; 3 escaped, 2 were ransomed. Raiders reached Elm Creek at Gainesville before blizzard forced withdrawal.
Civic & Local
Moffett Park
The owner of 90 acres in this vicinity, Missour native Ned Moffett, Sr., (1842-1924) wed Mary Stone on April 19, 1866. The couple had nine children, and early census records listed the family as Mulatto.
History
Mountain Springs School
Organized in 1847 in a pioneer woman's home, Mountain Springs School was Cooke County's first school. In 1853, it was moved to a log schoolhouse near this site. In 1884, when it became part of the public school system, this land was deeded for a larger frame structure, called "The Big School.
History
Muenster
In 1889 brothers Anton, August, and Emil Flusche contracted to sell 22,000 acres of this land along the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. Jot Gunter gave 25 acres for a school, church, cemetery, and park. The first Mass, celebrated Dec. 8, 1889, marked the official beginning of this German Catholic town.
History
Nelson Grove Cemetery
In 1875 Mollie Nelson, the 14-year-old daughter of Robert Carroll and Mary Elizabeth Nelson, died of pneumonia and measles and was buried on her parents' property. Two years later, R C. Nelson and J. C. Stockton deeded land including Mollie's grave site to the Cooke County judge for use as a "school, church and burying ground.
Architecture
Nelson Log House
Robert Carroll Nelson (1835-1914) constructed this log house for his family soon after arriving in the area in 1861. Using readily available resources, Nelson built the house of post oak logs, with a chimney and foundation of hewn ironstone. A Cooke County commissioner and justice of the peace, Nelson and his wife, Elizabeth, reared their six children here.
History
Newsome Dougherty Memorial High School
In the early 20th century, the growing city of Gainesville needed a new high school but lacked funds. In 1920, W.H. and Ella Dougherty donated their mansion, which once belonged to U.S. Senator Joseph W. Bailey, and surrounding land to the city for this purpose.
History
Oak Grove Community
In the 1860s, George Sanford Norrid left his Missouri home with his wife, Tabitha, and family and moved to Texas, settling in this area and offering their home for church services. In 1875, F.M. Dougherty and George Norrid deeded land for a Methodist Epsicopal church; Norrid's donation preserved land for a cemetery.
Architecture
Saint Paul's Church
Founded May 10, 1877. Bishop A.C. Garrett laid cornerstone May 12, 1884, on land given by Judge J. M. Lindsay, civic leader. English Gothic architecture. Built of brick made locally. Foundation of huge limestone slabs, hauled to site by oxcart. First service in this church Aug. 6, 1885. Consecrated May 6, 1900.
Architecture
Saint Peter's Catholic Church
Organized 1892. Present church was erected in 1918 to replace structure destroyed by cyclone. Lindsay settlers, Germans whose lives centered in the church, furnished much manual labor for the building and saved old windmill towers to be used as reinforcements in concrete. The interior is lavishly decorated with unusual frescoes, stained-glass windows, and carved altars.
Transport
Santa Fe Passenger Depot
By the end of the 19th Century Gainesville was established as one of the state's major rail centers. This depot was built about 1902 to handle the increased traffic on the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad. The red brick structure contained a Harvey House Restaurant until 1931.
Military
Site of Camp Howze
(One mile west) In operation from 1942 to 1946, Camp Howze served as an infantry training facility during World War II. It was named for General Robert Lee Howze (1864-1926), a native Texan whose distinguished career in the United States Army began with his graduation from West Point and included service in France, Puerto Rico, Germany, a South Dakota Indian War and the Philippine Insurrection,…
Nature
The Cross Timbers
Two long, narrow strips of timber extending parallel to each other from Oklahoma to Central Texas; form a marked contrast to adjacent prairie. The more fertile East Cross Timbers begin here in Cooke County. Area was famous pioneer landmark as well as obstacle to travel because of its dense growth. It divided the hunting grounds of the Plains and East Texas Indians.
History
The Great Hanging at Gainesville, 1862
Facing the threat of invasion from the north and fearing a Unionist uprising in their midst, the people of North Texas lived in constant dread during the Civil War. Word of a "Peace Party" of Union sympathizers, sworn to destroy their government, kill their leaders, and bring in Federal troops caused great alarm in Cooke and neighboring counties.
Architecture
The Houston House
Mrs. Giles (Frances Dougherty) Houston, one of the heirs to a Cooke County fortune, built this magnificent example of frontier Victorian architecture in 1898. J. G. Garrett (1858-1919), a local man credited with the plans for many fine Gainesville structures, served as architect. Contractor was W. J. Snelling. Walls are solid brick. There are twelve rooms with nine fireplaces.
History
Thomason-Scott House
Erected in 1894, this structure was the home and office of Dr. Benjamin Richard Thomason (d. 1909), one of Era's first physicians. Dr. Thomason's son Robert Ewing (1879-1973) hauled lumber from Gainesville for the construction. Later he had a long public career, serving as a U.S. Congressman and Federal District Judge. The frame house has Victorian porch detailing and elegant interior woodwork.
History
Valley View
In 1870, Captain L.W. Lee and his wife Mary Ann (Fryer) came from Missouri to a tall grass prairie overlooking a valley. Several friends from Missouri soon arrived, and by 1872 the settlers founded the town of Valley View, platting streets and securing a post office. A mill, gin and school were all quickly established.
History
W. T. G. Weaver
(April 25, 1832 - October 18, 1876) William Thomas Green Weaver came to Texas from Illinois in 1840 with his father and three siblings. As a young adult, he taught school for a time, studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1856. He came to this city to practice law and in 1860 was elected district attorney for the 20th Judicial District.
Architecture
Washington House (Sycamore Creek Ranch)
Built 1867 by J. R. Washington, with lumber hauled by oxen from Jefferson, Texas. Architecture is Queen Anne period; gingerbread trim. Excellent water facilities made ranch a collection center for cattle prior to trail drives. As home of a cattle industry leader, attracted distinguished visitors, including ranchers Chas. Goodnight and J. C. Loving, and statesman Sam Rayburn.