History
Community of Concho
As settlers came to the area in the late 1800's, a small farming community developed here along the Concho River. In 1905 a post office opened in the home of W. D. Cape. In 1906 J. W. Barr (d. 1964) opened a general store at this site. As the business center for the surrounding rural area, the settlement was also the site of a school, two churches, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a cemetery.
History
Concho County
Created February 1, 1858 organized March 11, 1879. Named for the river which the Spaniards called the Concho because of the many shells that they found in it.
Architecture
Concho County Courthouse
First permanent courthouse for Concho County. Built in 1886, replacing crude early structure. Architects were the brothers F.E. and Oscar Ruffini, who also planned and constructed first main building at the University of Texas. As F.E. Ruffini lived only long enough to draw plans for this courthouse, his brother completed it. Architecture is "French Second Empire".
History
Eden
Founded 1882. Incorporated 1910. Named for Frederick Ede, native of England and pioneer ranchman on whose land the town was located, and who donated land for this public square. Farming and ranching area. Wool and mohair marketing center. Elevation 2,052 feet. Location of Concho County Hospital.
History
General Ira C. Eaker
Ira Clarence Eaker was born April 13, 1896, in Field Creek, Llano County, Texas. In 1906, his parents, Young Yancy and Ladonia (Graham) Eaker, moved the family to the Eden area, where he and his brothers attended school. Eaker enlisted in the army on April 7, 1917, one day after the U.S. declared war on Germany.
History
John S. Chisum, Confederate Beef Contractor
(1824-1884) On this site during the Civil War and later, grazed by tens of thousands the Longhorns of cattle baron John S. Chisum. Ranch headquarters were 10 miles east. Here in 1863-1865, Chisum not only ranched but also was buyer of cattle to feed Confederate armies stationed west of the Mississippi River. Born in Tennessee, he came to the Republic of Texas in 1837.
History
Largest Pictograph Site in Texas
1500 paintings by various tribes at widely differing dates are scattered along the bluff for a half mile. Most outstanding pictorial contribution of the nomadic tribes of Texas. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Pioneers Rest Cemetery
Fred Eden platted Eden in 1882, setting this land aside for a cemetery. Though older burials may be present, the earliest tombstone is that of the five-week-old infant son of Frederick and Susan (Reynolds) Shutt, buried in 1882. Several graves for children and infants bear witness to the harsh conditions of pioneer life. Adults, too, faced difficult times.
History
Rich Coffey House
Rich Coffey (1823-1897) was a prominent pioneer and settler in the part of the state that now encompasses Runnels and Concho counties. In 1862 Coffey moved his family, cattle, and cowboys to a site near present day Ballinger. Several years later he established a settlement at the confluence of the Colorado and Concho rivers.
History
Silver Cliff Ranch
Founded 1882 on 46,000 acres by John A. Loomis, of Syracuse, New York, and his brother-in-law, Welton B. Ostrander. Rock quarried on the ranch was used in 1883 by German stonemasons to build Pennsylvania Dutch-style barn and house. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Site of Mission San Clemente
At the juncture of the Concho and Colorado rivers. Established March 16, 1684, by the Mendoza Expedition for the purpose of civilizing and Christianizing the Indians of the region.
History
Trinity Lutheran Church
Several German Lutheran families from Mills County migrated to Concho County shortly after the turn of the 20th century. These pioneers maintained close ties with their former congregations. The Rev. Franz Walther of Mills County conducted irregular services in the Lapp schoolhouse near the community of Live Oak beginning in 1913. In 1916 the Rev. Ludwig W.