History
Amity Cemetery
When 14-year-old Charles Farley died in Feb. 1878, his parents buried him near their farmhouse, as this frontier locality had no cemetery at the time. Three months later Fannie Nichols (1875-78) died and was buried nearby. The Farleys then donated an acre of land as a community graveyard. The neighbors built an adjacent brush arbor for funerals and general gatherings.
History
Bibb Community (Ghost Town)
The town of Bibb began when Anglo settlers moved to the area in the 1870s to farm cotton. Perhaps among the first settlers was John Wesley (1834-1924) and Floellar (Flullah) (Williams) Morris (1839-1903). The couple arrived from Alabama around 1869. The Bibb post office was established in 1878; located at the Morris home.
Architecture
Captain James Cunningham Home
1855. Lumber hauled from Waco by ox wagon. Local stone. Place of county's first wedding. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Comanche County
First settled in 1854 by five families, the county, created and organized 1856, was named for Comanche Indians, Lords of Texas frontier, who were losing hunting grounds to settlers. First county seat was Cora. Comanche has been county seat since July 18, 1859. Indians harassed settlers, stealing cattle and horses, and keeping farmers out of fields.
History
Community of Comyn-Theney
During the rapid settlement of this area following the removal of the Indian threat, about 1875, a rural community developed here. Besides a few homes and a school, it had a trading post-store, operated by W. F. Matheney. His name, shortened to "Theney" for business purposes also came to designate the town. Among the pioneer families was that of B. F. Barnes, at nearby Jones Crossing, 1876.
History
Community of Sidney
Began about 1870 when William Yarborough and J. A. Wright, early settlers, located on Jimmie's Creek. As a community developed, the settlers built a log schoolhouse near a spring, in 1877. W. D. Cox was the first teacher. The Methodist church was also founded in 1877 and a few years later the Baptist church and Church of Christ were started.
History
Cora
First County Seat of Comanche County: Cora (about 4 miles south) Founded 1854, as Troy. Later renamed in honor of a Miss Beeman of Bell County. In 1856 organization of Comanche County -- then extending farther south and east than today's boundaries -- Cora became county seat.
History
Cox Cemetery
William Driscol Cox (1839-97) and his wife Amanda (Shugart) moved with their family from Tennessee to Texas in 1872. Cox taught in Robertson County, then (1876) bought and moved to a 300-acre ranch at this site. He taught the first school in Sidney and served 1882-84 as Sheriff of Comanche County. This cemetery was opened at the death of infant Mary Jane Cox (1875-76), sixth child of the family.
History
Cunningham Family Reunion
James (1816-1894) and Susannah (1817-1899) Cunningham came to the Republic of Texas in 1839-40 and settled in this area in 1855. An influential family in the county, the Cunninghams were active in military defense against hostile Indians. In 1889, James, Susannah, and their 12 children gathered for their first family reunion.
History
Cyrus Campbell
(October 11, 1810 - September 12, 1883) A blacksmith by trade, Cyrus Campbell migrated to Texas in 1828. He performed a number of jobs for the Republic of Texas, including the making of leg irons for Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna after his capture at San Jacinto in 1836. Married twice, Campbell moved to De Leon in 1883 and was active in the Methodist Church.
Industry & Science
De Leon Peanut Company
Cotton was the major cash crop for farmers in Comanche County until the early 20th Century. The combined effects of distastrous weather conditions in 1908-09, a national economic downturn, and a major infestation of the Mexican boll weevil in 1914 caused many Comanche County farmers to abandon their decades-long reliance on cotton and turn to the more lucrative prospect of peanut farming.
History
First Comanche County Courthouse
A dwelling before county organization, 1856. Served as courthouse in town of Cora until 1859, when Comanche became the county seat; then reverted to use as a residence. Moved here and restored by Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Burks.
History
Fleming Oak
Camped here in 1854 with his father, young Martin V. Fleming hid behind this tree and saved himself when hostile Indians rode through the grove. Years later paving contractors started to cut the oak, but were stopped by "Uncle Mart" with his gun. (1965)
History
Frances Marie Sparks Brown
(October 17, 1849 - January 1, 1934) Frances Marie Sparks, a native of North Carolina and daughter of Daniel and Kezziah Sparks, married Thomas Brown in 1865. They lived in Grayson County, Texas, before moving to a 410-acre farm near here about 1876. During the 1880s and 1890s Frances served as a midwife and lay doctor for families in the area.
History
General Ashbel Smith, C.S.A.
(1805-1886) Born in Connecticut. Graduated at 19 from Yale. Studied medicine in France, where friends were Revolutionary War hero Lafayette and inventor Samuel F. B. Morse. As a North Carolina doctor he later took interest in politics and government. Came to Texas 1837. Was made Surgeon-General of army.
History
George Washington Gentry
(1808 - 1883) A member of Stephen F. Austin's Colony, George Washington Gentry came to Texas in 1835 with his father and brother. Settling in what is now Washington County, he worked as a farmer and surveyor. He participated in the Texas Revolution, several Indian skirmishes, and the defense of San Antonio during the 1842 invasions of Rafael Vasquez and Adrian Woll.
History
Gustine
Settlers began arriving in this area of Comanche County in the 1870s. Among the pioneers were members of the Blankenship family, who inherited land granted to brothers Christopher and A. K. Clark for Republic of Texas military service. The first settlement, located about three-fourths of a mile northeast of this site, was named Evergreen.
History
Hanging Oak
Oak used 1874 by mob to hang Joe Hardin, Tom and Bud Dixon, kinsmen of John Wesley Hardin in reprisal for murder of Deputy Chas. Webb. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Hanson Cemetery
When brothers J. H. and J. G. Walton and J. H.'s wife Annie Warsham Walton formally granted approximately one acre of land for a community burial ground in 1925, Hanson Cemetery was already well established. The scattered settlers of the community of Roch had already buried over fifty loved ones at the site.
History
Hardin, John Wesley
Champion gunfighter in personal combat, Hardin was brought to justice for first time for murder of Deputy Sheriff Charles Webb here in Comanche in 1874. Served 15 years in prison. On release, opened law office in El Paso, 1894. Killed at age of 42 when shot in back, 1895. (1966)
History
Hasse Community
Began as "Cordwood Junction," a siding on the Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railroad. Flatcars loaded wood here to be shipped over a wide area. As demand for the fuel increased, the railroad built a station house at site. It was named in 1892 for O. H. Hasse, thought to have been the local railway agent, 1890s. Cotton and cattle brought more business to town.
History
Indian Raid in Comanche
One of boldest depredations in Texas history, made in May 1861, during the "Bright Moon". A braying mule wakened town after nearly all horses were stolen. Citizens spent rest of night molding bullets. Pursuit began at dawn, under command of Capt. James Cunningham, assisted by 17 boys and men, using hounds. Posse finally caught Indians on Brown's Creek (about 36 mi.
History
L. B. Russell Home
Two original rooms built 1877 of rubblestone hauled to site by ox wagons. Purchased 1886 by Texas pioneers L. B. and Alice Beeman Russell, who added rooms as children grew older. Home is still occupied by descendants. Mr.
History
Lamkin
Originally established 1870, one-half mile north on bands of the Leon River. Named for George Lamkin, donor of land for townsite. Business firms included general store, blacksmith shop, gin, post office and drugstore. Despite several floods and fires, pioneer merchants gamely rebuilt. Only after the flood of 1908 destroyed old Lamkin was town moved to present site.
History
Lindsey-Gore Home
Attorney and politician Newton R. Lindsey (1847 ' 1908) constructed this home between 1881 and 1888. Born in Alabama, Lindsey served in the Confederate army during the Civil War and attended college and law school before settling in Comanche County in 1874.