History
1890 Cornerstone Ceremony
The building of the Colorado County Courthouse began with a public celebration July 7, 1890. About 3,000 people attended a barbecue in a grove north of town. They later marched to the Courthouse Square in a procession led by a local marching band. Members of Caledonia Lodge No. 68, A. F. & A. M. laid the cornerstone with Masonic ceremonies.
History
Abram Alley Log Cabin
In the 1820s, Abram Alley (d. 1862) came from Missouri to join his brothers in Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" Colony. He settled a few miles south of here on the east side of the Colorado, and in 1835 married Nancy Millar (1817 - 1893), of another pioneer family.
History
Alley Cemetery
The Alley Cemetery, also known as the Glaiser Cemetery and Alley Family Cemetery, is the final resting place for some of the first Anglo settlers of Texas. The cemetery was not officially established until November 2, 1881, when the land was deeded by Nicola and Elizabeth Glaiser; however, earlier burials exist. The Alley Cemetery was named for Rawson Alley (1793'1833), the surveyor for Stephen F.
History
Alleyton
Oldest permanent settlement and once largest town in Colorado County. Established by the pioneer Alley family (Willliam, John, Rawson, Thomas and Abraham), all members of Austin's original 300 settlers. Terminus of the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railroad, 1860-1867.
History
Alleyton Cemetery
Alleyton was settled by brothers Rawson, Abraham, John and Thomas Alley ca. 1822; William Alley joined his brothers in 1824. William donated a portion of his property in 1859 for right of way for the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway, and the company also built a roundhouse and depot on the property. A town developed around the site and Alleyton became the largest town in Colorado County.
Military
Alleyton, C.S.A.
Born as War clouds gathered. Alleyton was a key point on the supply line of the Confederate States of American during the Civil War. It was both beginning and end of the cotton road leading to the Confederacy's back door on the Rio Grande River. By 1860 the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railroad extended from Harrisburg, near Houston. To Alleyton.
History
Asa Townsend
(1795-1876) Born in South Carolina, Asa Townsend was reared in Georgia, where he married Rebecca Harper (1805-1857). They moved from Florida to Colorado County in 1838 with their large family. An active civic leader, Townsend served on the committee to adopt measures for the annexation of Texas to the U.S. in 1845, and was a member of the Colorado River Navigation Association.
History
Bartels-Wirtz House
Distinctions of this Victorian cottage: gable window with star tracery, decorative bargeboard, carpenter's lace. Stained glass entrance doors are duplicated at back of the front hall. Anton Bartles, from Aldenburg, North Germany, came here in 1869; built this house about 1886; was an Alderman, 1889. Later owners have included the Will Wirtz family in 1920s and 30s; Felix Fehrenkamp; Mrs.
History
Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing
Benjamin Beason, one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 colonists, settled by a widely used Colorado River crossing near here in 1822. He and his wife Elizabeth proceeded to build a large home (also used as an inn) and establish a gristmill, sawmill, gin, and ferry operation at the crossing.
History
Ben Marshall Baker
(1837-1907) Influential owner-editor of "Colorado Citizens," whch he and brothers, Hicks and James, founded in 1857. All joined Confederate Army in Civil War; Hicks was killed. In ill Health, James moved away. Ben published "Citizens," 1873-1907. This was his home. Widow Virginia (Cunningham) lived here until 1916.
History
Benjamin Beason's Crossing of the Colorado River
Site of the camp, March 19,-26, 1836, of the Texas Army under General Sam Houston, who directed the retreat from Gonzales to the San Jacinto.
History
Brick Store House
Owned and occupied 1840-67 by Thomas W. Harris, a physician from Virginia. Bought by William and Mary Pinchback (1867), Kasper Vogel (1875), Bertha Wagner (1878), and still owned by Wagner heirs. Since 1912 store has housed Feherenkamp Grocery.
Architecture
Brunson Building
Charles Brunson (1830-1916), born in Westphalia, Germany, migrated to America in 1845. About 1867 he settled in Columbus, establishing a saloon, which prospered. In 1891 he erected this building, adding adjacent store in 1896. Used as saloon until about 1919, building later had other occupancies. Except for lowering of canopy and some changes in windows, it retains original Victorian style.
History
Caledonia Lodge No. 68, A. F. & A. M.
Organized 1850; chartered Jan. 24, 1851; on Feb. 3, 1851, founded Columbus Female Seminary, first educational institution in Columbus. Built 2-story structure to house school downstairs, lodge hall above. Also (1857) founded Colorado College, city's first public school.
History
Capt. William G. Hunt House
On land originally owned by Bluford DeWeese, founder of Columbus, Capt. William G. Hunt (1813-1898) purchased this house in August 1859, and lived here until his death. He was a Virginian who came to Columbus around 1831, and fought in the 1835 Battle of Gonzales and the subsequent capture of San Antonio. A farmer and trader by occupation, Capt.
History
Charles William Tait Home
Military surgeon, surveyor, Texas Legislator, planter. After return from service with 4th Texas Calvary in Civil War, he finished home. Cottonwood siding. Hand-molded brick in chimneys. RTHL - 1965
History
City of Columbus
Oldest surveyed and platted Anglo-American town in Texas. About Christmas, 1821, Robert and Joseph Kuykendall and Daniel Gilleland settled at this place--in vicinity of old Indian campgrounds on Mexico-to-Sabine River Trail. Stephen F. Austin had noted advantages of this spot earlier. In 1823 he and the Baron de Bastrop surveyed land here.
History
Clear Creek Cemetery
Clear Creek Community formed in the 1850s near the route of the "Old Gonzales Road," which ran from San Felipe though Columbus, Oakland and Gonzales on to San Antonio. A church organized in Clear Creek in the 1850s. In 1860, Edward M. Glenn officially deeded land to Methodist Episcopal Church South Trustees Zachariah Payne, O. B. Crenshaw and John Tooke.
History
Colonel Joseph Worthington Elliott Wallace
United States Consul to the colonies in Texas, 1829-1832. A native of Philadelphia, PA. He later joined Austin's Colony, serving in campaigns leading to Texas War for Independence. In 1837, with W. B. DeWees, he platted the town of Columbus. In 1840 he was in Battle of Plum Creek, repulsing Comanche Indians; in 1842, served under Gen. Edward Burleson in defense against Mexico's invasions.
History
Colorado County
A part of Stephen F. Austin's First Colony. Created March 17, 1836. Organized in 1837. The river traversing the region was called "Colorado" (Red) by Spanish explorers who mistook it for the reddish Brazos. From the river, the county took its name. Columbus, the county seat.
Architecture
Colorado County Courthouse
This classic revival building--erected in 1890-1891 in form of a Greek cross--is now one of 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas' 254 counties. Contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnson built the structure of brick and Belton stone. Local Masonic Lodge laid cornerstone. In 1909 a tornado severely damaged building. Large bell in cupola-clock tower fell 120 feet and was completely buried in the earth.
History
Colorado County, City of Columbus
Site of projected capitol of Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1823. First settlement at this point shown on Stephen F. Austin's map of 1835 as Montezuma. The municipality of Colorado was created by the provisional government of Texas January 11, 1836 and the town of Columbus ordered laid out as the seat of government. On March 17, 1836 the county of Colorado was created; in 1837, it was organized.
History
Columbus Oak
Beneath this tree the first Court of the Third Judicial District of The Republic of Texas was held April, 1837 by Judge Robert M. Williamson ("Three Legged Willie").
History
Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery
John Toliver deeded a tract of land to Columbus Lodge No. 51, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in July 1871 for use as a cemetery. Among the first to be interred here were victims of the 1873 yellow fever epidemic, including George W. Smith, district judge and Texas Supreme Court justice. Within a few years, a bluff on the south side began to erode, exposing some graves.
Architecture
Columbus State Bank
History is preserved in this structure. At founding (1919), this institution, in erecting its bank, retained a wall of 1857 Boedecker Building that had housed many ventures, including city's first bank (1875). In 1969 rebuilding, Columbus State Bank again used some parts of prior structures.