History
Waddill-Morris Homesite
Kentucky native Judge R.L. Waddill (1811-1865) came to McKinney with his stepson, George Shackelford Morris, in 1853, five years after the town had been established as the Collin county seat. The two men bought large tracts of land in town, built a home, and then brought the remainder of the family to settle in McKinney. The family included Judge Waddill's wife, Sarah, and their children R.L.
History
Walnut Grove Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1846 by the Rev. J.N. Vance, this fellowship was first called Union Congregation. In 1858 the name was changed to Walnut Grove. The first church building on this property, donated by D.M. Crutchfield, was erected in 1869. Camp meetings were often held on the church grounds. Today the congregation worships in this frame country church, built in 1886 and remodeled in 1968.
History
Westminster College
In 1887, Rev. J.M. Harder founded Seven Points College, now called Westminster College, as an institute of higher learning for Collin County. Between 1892 and 1918, the college was known by various names and owned, at different times, by I.P. Rosser, the Methodist Protestant Church, and the Westminster Baptist Church.
Architecture
William and Charlotte Stone House "Stonehaven"
On the eve of his marriage to Charlotte L. Howard (1891-1964) in 1912, William E. Stone (1884-1931) applied techniques he gleaned from architectural pattern books and his study of Frank Lloyd Wright to conceive the design plan for this house. Carl Shuman was contracted to integrate many structural and mechanical innovations into its 20th century bungalow house style.
History
William B. Largent House
North Carolina-born William B. Largent (1840-1896) came to Collin county with his parents in 1854. He later prospered as a livestock trader and lumber merchant. In 1876 he hauled building materials overland from Jefferson to erect this Victorian residence with its ornate veranda. Here Largent and his wife Rosa (Wood) raised their family of 9 children.
Architecture
William Clinton and Anna Belle Thompson House
William Clinton (Clint) Thompson, and his wife Anna Belle (Wofford), prominent local newspaper owners and civic leaders, built this house in 1894 on land purchased from Clint's father, noted McKinney developer Dr. Francis M. Thompson.
History
Williams Cemetery
Grafton Williams came to this area in 1843 with the Peters Colony and received a 640-acre land grant. He was active in the creation of Whites Grove Settlement here. After his wife Harriet's death in 1848, he donated land for use as a community cemetery, sometimes called Mount Olive Cemetery because the Mount Olive Baptist Church was once adjacent to it.
Architecture
Wilson Creek House
In 1901 W. W. Wilson (1859-1937), an employee of the Cotton Belt Railroad system, moved to Plano. He married Alice Bell (d. 1945) the following year. In 1903 Wilson had this home built on Avenue K in Plano. The turn-of-the-century house features fish scale shingling and other Victorian details. The Wilsons and their three children occupied this home.
History
Woodlawn Cemetery
This cemetery, located along the historic lower Bonham Road on the site of the Old Rock Rest Church and School, was first used during the 1870s. The two and one-half acre plot was deeded to cemetery trustees George A. Wilson, William W. Wallace, and T.C. Boone in 1882. Woodlawn Cemetery is the burial place for many Collin county pioneers.
History
Young Cemetery
Sam Young (1814-1891) and Patience Cornell Young (1814-1847) came to Collin county from Illinois in 1842. More Illinois settlers came to the area in 1845. Young bought land from the Baccus Land survey and founded a school on his property. He established this cemetery when Patience died in 1847.