History
Collin County
Formed from Fannin County. Created April 3, 1846. Organized July 13, 1846. Named in honor of Collin McKinney 1766-1861, land surveyor, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, member of Congress, Republic of Texas, member of the Texas Legislature. County seat, Buckner, 1846-1848 McKinney, since. (2,5 mi. S McKinney, US Hy 75)
History
Collin County Farm
As early as 1858 Collin County had a system for providing relief to its indigent citizens. This property was acquired in 1886 and became known as the County Farm. Structures were built over the years to house the residents, who helped maintain the farm. In the 1920s the authorities began housing county prisoners here in special guarded facilities.
History
Collin County Prison
Designed by F.E. Ruffini, architect of numerous public buildings in Texas in the late 19th century, this High Victorian Italianate structure served as the Collin County prison for 99 years. Completed in 1880, it was modified in 1938 with funds from the federal Public Works Administration. Prominent features of the building include its bracketed cornice and arched windows. It is one of the few F.E.
History
Collin McKinney
Texas patriot and statesman. One of committee of five that wrote the Texas Declaration of Independence; one of its fifty-nine signers, March 2, 1836. Served in House of Representatives, Republic of Texas. In recognition of his distinguished service the county and county seat of Collin County bear his name. Born in New Jersey, April 17, 1766. Died in this house, September 9, 1861.
History
Community Independent School District
In the latter half of the nineteenth century, Collin County attracted numerous settlers who organized several schools for their children. Eventually these schools consolidated into six separate districts: Josephine, Lavon, Millwood, Mt. Pisgah, McMinn and Nevada.
History
Cottage Hill Methodist Church and Cemetery
According to local tradition this Methodist Church traces its origin to pioneer religious gatherings organized by the Rev. John Culwell and held in the home of his brother, Andrew J. Culwell, about 1846, and to the establishment of Methodist campground meetings held at nearby Honey Creek about 1848.
History
Crossroads Cemetery
The local Baptist community built a church in 1882 approximately three miles east of Celina, just north of the present Crossroads Cemetery. The property, encompassing 1 1/2 acres, had been jointly owned by brothers Abiel D. and Edmond Stelzer. The resulting Crossroads Baptist Church was moved in 1902 to the new town of Celina to be near the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway.
Architecture
Crouch-Perkins House
A fine example of Queen Anne architecture, this home was built in 1887 for Joe H. and Clara Letson Crouch. It was sold in 1906 to F. Dudley Perkins and in 1920 was acquired by the Martin Moses Family. Prominent features of the rambling wood frame residence include its asymmetrical massing of gables, turret, roof details, and wraparound porch.
Transport
Dallas Depot of the H. & T. C.
In July 1872 the Houston & Texas Central became the first railroad to reach Dallas. This frame depot was constructed for the H. & T.C. and the Texas & New Orleans in 1903, when both lines were part of the Southern Pacific system. Originally located on Eakin Street (1.25 mi. W), this structure served as a passenger station until 1918 and as yardmasters office until 1963.
History
Davis House
John N. Davis, a traveling buggy salesman, and his wife Maggie (Hamilton) had this house built in 1902. Their seven children were born here, although only three lived to adulthood. After Maggie's death in 1908, her mother, Cornelia Allen Hamilton, moved in to help with the children. The house remained in the Davis family until 1978.
Architecture
Davis House
Davis House Built between 1897 and 1908 for the family of Judge Harvey Louis "H.L." (1861-1956) and Emma (Umphrees) Davis (d. 1949), this Transitional style residence features Prairie-style influences with a Sullivanesque frieze and Classical detailing with fluted Corinthian porch columns.
Architecture
Dr. William Taylor Hoard House
Dr. William Taylor Hoard (1873-1945) moved to McKinney in 1898. A dentist and civic leader, he built this house in 1907. Exhibiting elements of the prairie school, colonial revival, and American foursquare styles of architecture, the home features a sullivanesque frieze under the eaves, fluted Corinthian columns, fish scale and regular shingled bands, and stained glass transoms.
History
Dulaney Cottage
A surgeon in the Confederate Army, Dr. Joseph E. Dulaney (d. 1877) came to McKinney after the Civil War (1861-65) and married Lucy Ann Field (1844-1941), daughter of Collin County pioneers. In 1875 he built this Victorian home with its numerous gables and fine porch detailing. Mrs. Dulaney lived here until 1910 with her children Corinne (d.1960) and Joseph Field Dulaney (d.
Architecture
Dulaney House
Built in 1916 by Dallas banker John Field for his sister, Mrs. Joseph E. (Lucie) Dulaney, this home remained in the Dulaney family for over fifty years. Joseph Field Dulaney (1876-1968) inherited the home from his mother and lived here until his death. A local philanthropist, he donated land across the street for the McKinney Public Library.
History
Elm Grove Cemetery
Members of the pioneer Roland family, natives of Alabama, settled here in the 1830s. Land at this site was part of a Republic of Texas land grant awarded to family members in recognition of the military service of John Roland, who was killed during the Texas Revolution. Receiving the property were his mother, Martha Roland Arrington, and two brothers Sherrod and Ezekial Roland.
History
Fanny Finch Elementary School
Laura Frances (Fanny) Shipe (1866-1942) was born in Woodstock, Va., and educated in Texas. In 1890, after teaching at McKinney's Collegiate Institute, she married Henry A. Finch (d. 1934), later a Texas legislator and mayor of the city. The couple had 7 children. In 1917 Mrs. Finch became one of the state's first women to serve on a school board.
History
Farmersville
Originated 1849 as a settlement on the Jefferson-McKinney Road, and near Republic of Texas National Road. Named by pioneers for their chief occupation. After 1854, the Yearys and their neighbors of Sugar Hill (2 mi. NE) began relocating here. Dr. H.M. Markham, practicing here by 1855, is said to have been Collin County's earliest physician. The First Methodist Church was organized in 1856.
History
Farmersville I.O.O.F. Cemetery
Farmersville is one of the oldest towns in Collin County. It has historic ties to the antebellum (pre-Civil War) era of Texas and the pioneer settlement of Sugar Hill (1.5 mi. NE), founded by John Yeary. The center of settlement soon shifted to this area in the 1850s with the beginning of Farmersville, a community named for the agricultural background of its pioneer residents.
Architecture
Farmersville Masonic Lodge No. 214, A.F. & A.M.
This Romanesque Revival structure, built in 1888-89, housed a second story fraternal hall above a first floor mercantile. One of the earliest surviving buildings in Farmersville, it features locally quarried limestone, narrow double-hung windows, an arched second story window, and a corbelled pressed metal parapet.
History
First Baptist Church of Murphy
In 1900, twelve years after the founding of Murphy, local resident Mrs. May Cockrell directed the formation of this congregation. Aware of the need for a Baptist church in the community, she hosted the organizational meeting in her home. Present were many of her friends, including the Rev. G.W. McCalla a Baptist preacher from Plano, and Bob Coleman of the Plano Star-Courier. The same year Mrs.
Architecture
First National Bank Building
Entrepreneur Francis Emerson (1815-1905) founded a McKinney banking firm in 1869, which developed into the First National Bank in 1882. First National bought this site in 1912 and built this classical revival style building. Glazed bricks and massive columns support classical details of cast stone and a gilded eagle.
History
First National Bank of Farmersville
Named for the occupation of many of its citizens, the town of Farmersville was founded in the mid 1850s. A private bank, the Exchange Bank was established in 1885, and housed in the rear of the Aston Brothers store. A national bank charter was obtained on January 17, 1887, and the Exchange Bank merged with the First National Bank of Farmersville. Pioneer Doctor A.H.
Architecture
Fox-Caldwell House
This house was built in 1915 by George W. and Lula Fox. George Fox, the descendant of one of Collin county's pioneer families, was a local Realtor and county official. Prominent local citizens Gibson and Goldie Caldwell purchased the house in 1922.
History
Frankford
The site of the former town of Frankford consists of the three-acre wagon yard, five-acre Frankford church area and three-acre cemetery. The town of Frankford grew around Indian Springs after W.C. McKamy and his family moved to Texas in 1852. They sold firewood and water to settlers moving along Preston Road.
History
Frankford Cemetery
In the early days of settlement, this area served as a stop for cattle drives and for travelers on the Preston Road. Later the community of Frankford, the site of a post office until the early 1900s, was located nearby. This community cemetery was used as early as 1862, when area pioneer Eliga M. Yaeger was interred here. The earliest marked grave is that of John T.