History
Atoka Cemetery
Settlement of this area began in the 1850s with the establishment of Camp Colorado, a United States cavalry outpost. At the outbreak of the Civil War the camp was occupied by Texas State Troops and Texas Ranger units. The existence of the camp spurred permanent settlement in the area, and many families moved here from the southern United States after the Civil War.
Architecture
Blair House
A native of Georgia, J. T. Blair (1876-1949) migrated to this area in 1897. He married Carrie Agnes Love, of a pioneer Coleman County family. They had five children. Blair served as foreman of the Overall Ranch, in addition to managing his own ranch property. In 1914 he built this residence in town so his children could attend Coleman schools. Designed by architect J. P.
Military
Camp Colorado, C.S.A.
Surrendered as U.S. outpost beginning Civil War. Became part frontier defense line from Red River to Rio Grande. Headquarters first Texas Mounted Rifles 1861 and Texas Frontier Regiment 1863. Manned by troops and Rangers in state and C.S.A. service to war's end. Valuable duty performed while patrolling and scouting to curb Indian raids and in rounding up draft evaders, deserters.
History
Centennial School
In 1936, the Valera, Bowen, White Chapel and New Central communities established a common high school. The new centralized campus ' the second rural high school in Coleman County ' was named to commemorate Texas' Centennial of Independence celebrated that year.
History
Cleveland-Anson House
First fine house in area. Built in 1880 by George P. Cleveland, a sheep rancher. Structure, of native stone and lumber hauled from Fort Worth by ox-wagon, has two-foot walls. Second owner was Englishman Billy Anson, son of the Earl of Litchfield. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
History
Coleman County
In early Texas had Apache, Comanche, Kiowa camps and mountain lookouts. White settlement began at Camp Colorado, U.S. 2nd Cavalry Post on Jim Ned Creek, 1857. County was created Feb. 1, 1858. Named for Robert M. Coleman (1799-1837), a signer of Texas Declaration of Independence and a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto.
History
Coleman County Jail
Second county jail. (First was a small 1879 structure on lawn of courthouse.) Erected in 1890, this building is a good example of Victorian jail architecture with some traces of Romanesque Revival. Belting at ground and second floors a notable detail. Lower floor contains living quarters for the jailer. Upper floor houses both maximum and minimum security cells.
History
Colonel James E. McCord
1834-1914 South Carolinian. Came to Texas 1853. Surveyor of lands in this region, including the site of Camp Colorado. Texas Ranger. Prominent secessionist. Member Texas State troops at start of Civil War. Lt. Colonel of Texas Frontier Regiment established 1862. Morale was low among these rugged frontiersmen who disliked the discipline and chain of command of army life.
Architecture
D. A. Parker House
A native of Ohio, David Absalom Parker (b. 1849) came to Coleman County in 1876 with his wife, Nannie Rachel (Atkinson). Soon after, they constructed this two-story stone residence. Parker became a prominent area cattleman and helped establish the town of Novice when rail lines were built to the area in 1910.
History
Emma Daugherty Banister
(Oct. 20, 1871-June 4, 1956) The Daugherty family moved west in the late 1870s to Coleman County from present Forney in Kaufman County, where Emma was born. At age 14 she left home to finish school and obtain a teaching certificate in Goldthwaite. She married lawman and widower John R. Banister in 1894, and they raised nine children.
History
John R. Banister
(May 24, 1854-Aug. 2, 1918) Missouri native John Banister left home in 1867 and came to Texas. He received training as a cowboy and participated in several cattle drives to northern markets. Banister served with his brother, Will, as a Texas Ranger and participated in the capture of outlaw Sam Bass.
History
Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Williams
William Patrick Williams (ca. 1818-1898) and his wife Elizabeth (Boles) (ca. 1822-1899) migrated to Texas from Mississippi during the Civil War. After a brief stay in Cherokee County, they settled in this area, arriving by wagon train. Their nearby homestead became the nucleus of the neighboring rural settlement, the site of an early school they helped establish.
Civic & Local
Mrs. J. A. B. Miller Public Library Building
Financed by the Self-Culture Club and other local women's organizations, this structure was erected in 1909 to provide a meeting place for the groups and to house the city's library collection. In 1924 when money was no longer available to pay a librarian, Mattie B. (Mrs. J. A. B.) Miller (1874-1969), pioneer ranch woman and civic leader, offered her services.
History
Old Rock House
This site was claimed in 1857 under a Republic of Texas land certificate held by former State Representative Darwin Stapp of Victoria County. In 1869 he sold the tract to another absentee owner. By tradition, this house was built in the 1870s by John J. Brestow, a squatter who came to this area for his health. The one-room cabin was constructed of stone from the nearby Santa Anna Mountains.
History
Richard A. Pauley
(March 20, 1882-May 16, 1925) A man who achieved boyhood wish to become a law officer, Pauley was a rancher before his election in 1923 to office of Coleman County sheriff. He was widely respected as a true gentleman. Often he did not carry a gun, preferring to convince fugitives that the law would protect, not hurt, them. He was shot by 2 stowaways while investigating a train car.
History
Robert M. Coleman
(1799-1837) Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas in 1832. Commanded company of volunteers at Siege of Bexar (San Antonio), Dec. 5-10, 1835. Delegate to Constitutional Convention where he signed Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836. Aide-de-camp to Gen. Sam Houston at Battle of San Jacinto, 1836. Later fought Indians as a Texas Ranger. (1966)
History
Route of Old Military Road
Opened in 1850s for supply trains and cavalry travel along line of U.S. forts from Belknap on the Brazos to Fort Mason and to Fort Clark near the Rio Grande. Along this road passed great men, including Col. Robert E. Lee, later (1861-65) general of Confederate forces in the Civil War. (1972)
Military
Ruins of Camp Colorado
Originally established on the Colorado River by the United States Army as a protection for the frontier against hostile Indians; moved in August, 1856, to this site; abandoned by Federal troops February 26, 1861. The site became the property in 1870 of Henry Sackett (1851-1928), who built his home here in 1879.
History
Santa Anna Cemetery
SANTA ANNA CEMETERY WITH THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE SANTA FE RAILROAD IN 1886, THE TOWN OF SANTA ANNA GREW RAPIDLY AND DEVELOPED AS A CATTLE SHIPPING POINT. ACCORDING TO ORAL HISTORY, W.C. BROOKS WAS THE FIRST PERSON BURIED IN THE SANTA ANNA CEMETERY BEFORE THE RAILROAD WAS COMPLETED, ALTHOUGH NO GRAVE MARKER IS PRESENT. MR.
History
Santa Anna, C.S.A.
Mountain and town named in honor of man in power here in 1840's, a Comanche chief friendly to Texans. Santa Anna in 1846 visited President Polk in Washington during U.S. negotiations to annex Texas. Also signed and kept until his death of cholera in 1849 peace treaties that allowed the German Emigration Company to settle lands north of the Llano River.
History
Silver Valley Cemetery
Silver Valley Cemetery The first known grave here is that of Helen A. (Crocker) Averitt, who, like her husband, John C. Averitt, was an early area spiritual leader and educator. Her burial in 1881 predated the purchase and designation of the land as a cemetery by 20 years. Originally called Robinson's Peak Cemetery, the burial ground contains the graves of other early settlers and their families.
History
Site of Flat Top Settlement
A frontier center of traffic and communications. First known settler, Richard Coffey, lived here in 1860's, except in weeks when pioneers banded together in Pickettville Fort (NW of here) for protection against Indians. This was on the "Wire Road" -- so named because it followed telegraph line operated by U.S. Army Signal Corps between Fort Concho and Fort Belknap in the 1870's.
Architecture
The Turner House
Built 1886 by an attorney from Mississippi. Colonial architecture. House was enlarged from 8 to 12 rooms after 1903 purchase by Fred W. Turner, rancher and oilman. This was gathering place for area social and business leaders. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Town of Trickham
Oldest town in county; founded about 1855 as a cowboy trading post for ranching activities of cattle baron John Chisum. During 1860-1890, it was a boisterous community at a crossroads of cattle trails. Because of notorious jokes played at local general store, "Trick'em" was suggested for name of post office here. (1969)
History
Valera Cemetery
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad established a railway line about eight miles southwest of Coleman in 1904. The town of Valera developed in the area around the train depot. Its business district, established parallel to the railroad, reflected the needs of its citizens.