History
Bronte
Eastern gateway to Permian Basin, in Coke County. Called Oso and Broncho in early 1880's. Formally named for English novelist Charlotte Bronte, in 1890. Incorporated 1907. Basic agricultural economy, predominantly ranching. Site of major oil and gas development since 1948. (1964)
Transport
Bronte Depot
Built by local stonemason James C. Lammers (1874-1942), this depot was completed in 1911, two years after the first train arrived in Bronte. Built of locally quarried materials, the depot features stone lintels and window sills and a red tile roof.
History
Cary Allen Gates
(October 14, 1836-July 27, 1927) Born near town of Paint Lick, Kentucky. Came to Collin County, Texas, 1858. Joined Confederate army at McKinney, October, 1861, as private in army of Tennessee. Served in five divisions. Was in battle of Chickamauga; hurt at Murfreesboro, Tennessee; shot through wrist at Spanish Fort, Alabama. Served till end of war.
History
Coke County
Formed from Tom Green county. Created March 13, 1889, Organized April 23, 1889. Named in honor of Richard Coke 1829-1896. Governor of Texas 1874-1876, member of United States Senate 1878 - 1896. County seat, Hayrick, 1889 Robert Lee, since 1890.
History
Coke County Jail
Successor to county's first one-room jail of rough lumber built about 1891, this building was erected 1907 by Southern Structural Steel Company, San Antonio. Officials who let the contract were P.D. Coulson, county judge; C.M. Barger, S.W. Gaston, T.J. Goss, M.C. Jones, Commissioners. At least seven early sheriffs lived downstairs, acting as jailkeepers.
History
Divide Cemetery
In 1896 the Smith and Chapman families donated 4 acres here for a cemetery and church lot. A sanctuary for all faiths was built on the site the same year to serve the scattered ranches along the divide between the watersheds of the Colorado and North Concho rivers. First to be buried here was Mrs. H.A. (Callie) Chapman (1870-97).
History
Fence-Cutting War
This area was a center of hostilities during 1880's conflict between landless cattlemen trying to keep use of free grass and open range and those erecting barbed wire fences to create permanent ranches. On L.B. Harris Ranch (3 miles west of here) posts and wire worth $6,000 were burned by anti-fence group during crisis.
Architecture
First Methodist Church of Robert Lee
The Rev. Green Cotton Fields organized this Methodist congregation in January 1891. A one-room frame sanctuary built on this site in 1896 was replaced by a second structure in 1907. This structure was completed in 1928, during the pastorate of the Rev. J.D. Ramsey. Exhibiting elements of the Classical Revival style, it features paired art-glass windows and a triumphal-arch entryway.
History
First Producing Oil Well in Coke County
Sun Oil Company's well - No. 1 Allen Jameson -- was staked in Sept. 1946, and struck oil Nov. 17. Intermittent drilling had gone on in Coke County for 30 years, but this discovery began a county-wide oil boom. Drilled by the Dallas firm of Roberts & Hawkins, the well hit pay dirt at 6,230 feet in fossil-bearing limestone 280 million years old. In a 24-hour test it flowed 168 barrels.
Military
Fort Chadbourne
Established by the United States Army, October 28, 1852, as a protection to frontier settlers against Indians named in honor of Lieutenant T.L. Chadbourne, killed at Resaca de la Palma, May 9, 1846, occupied by federal troops, 1852-1867. An important station on the Butterfield Overland stage route, 1858 - 1861.
Military
Fort Chadbourne, C.S.A.
Located 8 miles north on old Butterfield stageline. Upon secession, company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for many Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war. Permanent personnel left the fort in 1862 when the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 50 miles east.
History
Hayrick Lodge 696, A.F. & A.M.
Organized 1890 at Hayrick, first county seat of Coke County. Moved to Robert Lee 1891. This hall was built in 1906 by a contractor, S.C. Wilkins, of concrete blocks mixed and cast by hand. First story has housed many businesses, U.S. offices. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
History
Indian Rock Shelters
Throughout this area during the last several centuries, rock ledges gave protection to Lipan, Kickapoo, Comanche, and Kiowa Indians. In one typical shelter archeologists found evidence of 3 periods of occupation, plus numerous intricate petroglyphs (rock carvings). River shells, turkey and deer bones, flint knives, scrapers, and points lay about the area.
History
James Franklin Byrd
(December 18, 1844-June 9, 1915) Born in Kentucky. Joined the Confederate army at Gonzales, Texas, 1862. Was in Co. F., Willis' Battalion of Cavalry, army of Virginia. Fought in battles of Holly Springs, Harrisburg, Fort Pilow, and others. Captured, he became prisoner of war on Ship Island. Escaped by volunteering to help load boat, then joining prisoners to be exchanged.
History
Locklin Bartholomew Murray
(June 17, 1849-April 29, 1923) Born in Jackson, Miss. Came to Texas with family in early 1860's. Married Susan Lucinda McSpadden (1855-1917), and had 7 children who lived to adulthood. Settled near Sanco, in Yellow Wolf Valley, about 1888, and began ranching. In 1894 he was elected sheriff and tax collector by Coke county citizens.
History
Mule Creek Cemetery
Established by pioneers of Mule Creek community, a small frontier settlement founded in 19th century. Said to be named either for (1) an early horse and mule ranch, or (2) a stagecoach mule that died at a creek which runs nearby. The Abilene-Fort Concho stage once served area.
History
Panther Gap
Landmark on ancient Indian trail, and early route of travelers and military west of Fort Chadbourne (20 miles east) before the Civil War. After 1880, was used extensively to connect this area with the railroad at Colorado City. Named for panthers (cougars), which still roam the region. (1973)
History
Richard Coke
(1829-1896) Virginia native. Leader Texas secession movement. Joined army, rose to captain 15th Texas Infantry company serving in Louisiana, Arkansas, chiefly Tennessee campaigns. Elected to state supreme court 1866, removed by Reconstruction military authorities. Defeated Governor E.J. Davis 1873.
History
Robert Lee Cemetery
Established in 1891, two years after the founding of the city of Robert Lee. Developers L.B. Harris and Eugene Cartledge, as president and secretary of the Austin and Northern Land and Cattle Company, on Sept. 29, 1891, sold for $1.00 this 11.7 - acre burial ground. Already site of several graves, it was deeded to Hayrick Lodge No. 696, A.F. & A.M.
Transport
Route of the Southern Overland Mail Line
One mile southeast to Fort Chadbourne, a station on the Butterfield mail and stage line, which linked St. Louis and San Francisco, 1858 - 1861. The fort was established in 1852, occupied until its surrender to state forces in 1861, and garrisoned at times after the Civil War.
History
Sanco
Sanco (originally located 1 mile east) On site of prehistoric Indian camps; in area where in 1850's Fort Chadbourne soldiers often skirmished with Indians. One of the first settlements and second pioneer post office (established 1888) in county. Named for the Comanche Chief Sanaco, who with Chief Yellow Wolf had regularly camped here. Yellow Wolf, killed in a fight with Lipans, is buried nearby.
Nature
Shelving Rock
Natural Landmark Shelving Rock (8 mi. W. on private land) Archeological findings at an overhanging rock ledge on Walnut Creek show that the spot, midway between the Colorado and North Concho Rivers, was for hundreds of years campsite or village of nomadic Indians who sought the shelter, running water, wood, and high lookout point above ledge.
History
Silver
A pioneer ranching center, settled about 1880. Early land owners included S.M. Conner, W.G. Jameson and W.R. Walker. Dr. J. E. Reed for 50 years was only physician here. R.B. Allen was outstanding civic leader. Post office, named for peak. Oil discovery, 1946, brought drilling, refining, employees' camps, much growth. the town became busy oil-gas center.
History
Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861
Passed near this site, providing for the first time combined passenger and mail service between Pacific and Atlantic coasts. Operating west from St. Louis and Memphis, John Butterfield's company used 1,350 horses and mules and 90 Concord coaches and wagons. Stage traveled at a run, despite lack of good roads.