History
Angelina River
Early Texas artery of travel and transportation. Ran through lands of civilized Indians whose word "Tejas", for friend, gave name to northern part of New Spain, then to the Republic and State of Texas. Here in 1690, Spanish explorers and missionaries found a young girl eager to learn Christianity. For her sweet disposition, she was called Angelina.
Transport
Ben Cannon Ferry
Native American and early Anglo settlers in this region forded the Neches River at this site, called Duty Crossing for early settler Richard Duty. A significant link in the history of transportation across the river, the Ben Cannon Ferry is first documented in Cherokee County Commissioners court records in 1848. Pioneer settler Ben Canon operated the Ferry until 1851.
History
Berryman Cemetery
James Dill, an early Anglo settler who would become the first alcalde at Nacogdoches under Mexican rule, petitioned the Spanish government in 1802 for land that included this site. He married Helena Kimble, who later divided the property among their children after his death. The tract conveyed to daughter Helena (Dill) Berryman and her husband Capt. Henry Berryman included this site.
Military
C.S.A. Prisoner of War Compound
At this site. Housed some of the more than 3,000 Federals captured at Mansfield, LA., on April 8, 1864, in Red River Campaign to prevent Federal invasion of Texas. Camp Ford, at Tyler, was largest P.O.W. camp west of the Mississippi. Texas had two others, at Hempstead, Waller County, and Camp Verde, Kerr County. (1965)
History
Camp Alto, World War II Prisoner of War Camp
The U.S. Army built stateside camps by early 1942 to house prisoners of war (POWs). Camp Alto south of this site was a small branch operation of the Camp Fannin base facility in Tyler. The military set up branch camps to address local labor needs brought about by wartime shortages. With approximately 100 German POWs living in tents, Camp Alto began operating in the fall of 1944.
History
Candace Midkiff Bean
Wife of Peter Ellis Bean born near Nashville, Tenn. in 1802. Died near Douglass, Texas in December 1848. One of those pioneer women who braved the Indian menace and rocked the cradle of Texas liberty.
Industry & Science
Carey Lake-Boggy Creek Oil Field
Cherokee County's first commercial oil field was discovered here in the area of Carey Lake and Boggy Creek by the Humble Oil and Refining Company in 1927. A discovery well drilled at the northeast corner of Carey Lake revealed the unique geological relationship between recoverable oil deposits and subterranean salt domes.
History
Cedar Hill Cemetery
Established in 1847 as the city cemetery, Cedar Hill Cemetery is located at the south edge of Rusk in Cherokee County, atop a hill surrounded by a dense forest. Some of Rusk's oldest and most prominent residents have stone monuments in Cedar Hill such as the Bonner, Long, Miller, Perkins and Smith families. The cemetery is also the burial site for early pioneers. Prior to 1917, B.F.
History
Cherokee County
Cherokee County has a rich and varied history. Spanish and French explorers of the seventeenth century found Tejas and Hasinai Indians living in this area, and Spanish missions were established in the region. Driven out of the United States, the Cherokee Indians migrated to this area about 1822, and were here at the time of early Anglo-American colonization in the 1820s and 1830s.
Military
Cherokee County C.S.A.
Civil War manufacturing, supply and military center. Field Transportation Bureau shop made and repaired wagons, saddles, harnesses. Gun factory produced "Mississippi rifles" and pistols. Two iron works cast plows, skillets, pots, irons. Salt works provided a scarce item. Confederate commissary stored sugar and military supplies. Texas conscript district office directed drafting activity.
Architecture
Cherokee County Courthouse
This courthouse, the fourth to serve the citizens of Cherokee County, was built in 1940-41 with the assistance of the Federal Works Progress Administration. Designed by the architectural firm of Gill & Bennett, the moderne structure is built of native red and white limestone and features a central block with two-and-one-half story wings.
History
Cherokee Furnace Co., C.S.A.
Made crude kettles, plow tools, on this site in 1864-65. Slaves fled from Louisiana's Red River Campaign battles were the workers. This county had 2 war plants working easily-mined, abundant local ore. Smelting fuel was charcoal made of timber growing nearby. A phase of manufacturing that made Texas "Storehouse of the Confederacy." (1965)
History
Chief Samuel Benge
A leader of the Cherokee Indians in Texas during the 1830s, Samuel Benge was present at the negotiations with General Sam Houston, John Cameron and John Forbes in early 1836 to secure a treaty with the Cherokee in return for neutrality during the imminent war for independence from Mexico.
History
Church Founded by Chaplain Nicholas A. Davis, C.S.A.
Born in Alabama in 1824. Entered Presbyterian ministry. Moved to Texas in 1857. Farmed and preached. At start of Civil War joined the 4th Texas Infantry and went with troops to Virginia. As a Confederate chaplain had same pay and rations as a private, and no status privileges.
History
Confederate Gun Factory
Built in 1862 by John L. Whitescarver, William H. Campbell and Benjamin F. Campbell. When unable to secure materials and tools for the manufacture of rifles, Colt-model pistols were made. A number of Negroes were employed.
Military
Confederate Training Camp
During the Civil War this area along the road from Rusk to Crockett served as a training camp for Confederate soldiers. Located in a bare field with an available water supply from the nearby Pryor Branch, Camp Rusk was used for training new recruits as well as for reorganizing and equipping veteran units.
History
Cook's Fort
Named in honor of Joseph T. Cook; native of North Carolina; Early settler in Nacogdoches; Owner of land on which a military company under Captain Black built a fort never attacked by Indians; On adjacent land, James Cook built a store and blacksmith shop; About them a village grew up; Population in 1846, 250; After establishment of Rusk, inhabitants moved there.
History
Cuney
The earliest area settlers were Andrew "Andy" Bragg and Nelson Sneed, black farmers who moved here in 1870. Former slaves, they were later joined by other freedmen farmers, landowners and tradesmen. The settlement that resulted was known as Andy. In 1916 former Palestine banker H. L. Price moved to the community.
History
Dialville
In 1866, Confederate John J. Dial (d.1928) joined a group of 60 wagons headed for Texas. He arrived in this area the same year and soon began farming the land. With the 1882 arrival of the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad, Dial opened a general store near the rail line. The following year, Dial and his wife, Ida Mae (Jones), deeded eight acres of land to the railroad for a flag stop station.
History
Dr. I. K. Frazier Home
Typical Texas house of the 1850s, when it was built. Deeded 1873 to Dr. Frazer, who in Civil War had been in 3rd Texas Cavalry and Brigade of Gen. Joseph Hogg. For over 40 years, until his death in 1908, Dr. Frazer was a leading physician of Rusk. RTHL 1969
History
Dr. William Reuben Tennison
(March 18, 1855 -- November 12, 1936) Born in a log cabin in rural east Cherokee County, William Reuben Tennison earned a degree from St. Louis Medical School in 1878. He returned home to open an office in the home of his father, Mathew Tennison. For the next fifty-eight years he provided health care for the people of Cherokee County, often treating indigent patients without payment.
History
Earle's Chapel Cemetery
Elijah Earle (1804-1880) and his second wife, Mary Elizabeth Jarratt Tatum (1824-1904), set aside land for this graveyard in 1858. Elijah selected his own burial site at the time, marking it by carving his initials on a tree trunk. He was buried here on New Year's Day 1881. His is the earliest documented grave in the cemetery. W. J.
History
Ellis P. Bean
(Peter Ellis Bean) (June 8, 1783-October 3, 1846) Born in Tennessee, Ellis P. Bean came to Texas with Philip Nolan's mustang hunters in 1800. He was captured by Spanish troops in 1801, and taken to Mexico as a prisoner. In 1810 he was freed in exchange for service to the Royalist Army, but he quickly deserted to the rebels under Morelos. Fifteen years later, Bean returned to the U. S.
History
Elm Grove Common School
Elm Grove, a Freedmen's community, was part of the county school system by 1884, when 69 school districts were set up by the Commissioners Court. Classes were held in a local church or in homes until the 1890s when a schoolhouse was erected on land given by R. B. and Caroline Wood. Built by Elm Grove citizens with donated materials, the building was originally one large room.
History
Emmaus
The small rural community of Emmaus was settled in the 1860s. By the 1870s the Emmaus Baptist Church was organized. School classes were held in the church building until 1881, when Dr. J. M. Brittain donated two acres of land for a public school. At its height, the community consisted of farms, two general stores, two churches, a school, and a cotton gin.