History
Atlanta-Miller Grade School
Public education in Atlanta dates to 1874. Prior to the civil rights era of the mid-20th century, separate schools served Anglo and African American students. The school at this site, known initially as Atlanta Grade School, was built for white students in 1936 with federal funding through the Works Progress Administration. Due to high enrollment, building additions were completed over the years.
History
Bessie Coleman
Bessie Coleman (1892-1926). The tenth of 13 children born to tenant farmers Susan and George Coleman, famed aviatrix Bessie Coleman was a native of Atlanta, Texas. The family moved to Waxahachie when Bessie was two years old. She followed her brothers to Chicago in 1915 and developed an interest in flying.
History
Cass County
Formed from Bowie County land. Created April 25, 1846; organized July 13, 1846. Named in honor of Gen. Lewis Cass (1782-1866), United States soldier and statesman, a strong advocate of annexation of Texas. Important river port city of Jefferson was county seat until Marion County was carved out of Cass in 1860; Linden, near center of county, then became county seat.
History
Cass County Courthouse
When county was organized, 1846, courthouse was in Jefferson (now in Marion County, created from Cass in 1860). Linden was made county seat, 1852; a frame courthouse was built here, 1853. This brick structure, begun in 1860, was not completed until after the Civil War ended in 1865. It cost $9,877.00. It was enlarged in 1900 and 1917. After a fire in 1933, third floor was added.
History
Chalybeate Springs
(Pronounced "KA LIB E ATE) Discovered in 1839 by brothers Reece and Robert Hughes (from Alabama) while looking for pirate gold. springs derive name from iron salts in water. In 1847 Reece Hughes (1811-1893), wealthy planter who later built iron foundry, started the first town of Hughes Springs here.
History
Civilian Conservation Corps at Linden
As part of the New Deal's efforts to offer unemployed workers jobs on public projects, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the United States Congress created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in March 1933. Three months later, Company 1814 was organized in Fort Logan, Colorado, to serve in reforestation and other conservation efforts.
History
Corinth Cemetery
This historic graveyard is associated with the Corinth Baptist Church of Almira, to whom Ephraim and Mary (Hartsfield) Watson donated four acres of land in 1876. The earliest marked burial is that of three-month-old Terrissa L. Ellington, who died in 1878. Veterans of the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam are interred here.
History
Cornett Cemetery
The first burials here were in the 1850s, but the oldest legible stone marks the grave of Mary Frances Hampton, who died Oct. 4, 1880. Robert Dunlap donated nine acres of land to the cemetery and to adjacent Hamell's Chapel Methodist Church. Other donors of land included G. T. Cornett and S. E. McCord, Fred and Sallie Hall, and Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Trumble.
History
Dennis Cemetery
Allen and Eliza Ann Dennis and their family were among the earliest settlers of this part of Cass County. In 1856 they purchased the land surrounding this site. Eliza Ann Dennis died on January 27, 1873, and was buried on the family farm. Allen Dennis died in 1880 and was interred next to his wife.
History
Floyds' Hill Church - Cemetery
On Oct. 9, 1854, Killis S. Floyd donated a four-acre tract to three trustees of the Missionary Baptist Church, afterwards known as Floyds' Hill Church. The Rev. John Massey and the Rev. C. G. Stephens organized the congregation on Dec. 10, 1854, with 15 charter members. Worship services were held at the Frifogle house, former home of a pioneer family, until a log church was completed in 1855.
History
John Robin Heard
(1794-1866) A descendant of settlers who came to America in 1720 from County Tyrone, Ireland, John Robin Heard was born in Georgia and moved to Texas in 1853. He founded the nearby town of Cussetta and acquired large landholdings in this area. In 1861 he donated property for this cemetery. His home stood near this site until the 1940s. Heard's first wife was Martha Hopkins.
History
Masonic Lodge Hall and First Baptist Church
One of the first buildings constructed in Kildare; now the oldest existing one n town. Erected jointly 1878 by the Baptist Church and Jim's Bayou Lodge # 491 A.F. & A.M. Builders were Skillman and Bricker. In continuous use since 1878, structure is of heart cypress, selected for extreme durability. Although church moved in 1950's, building still serves as Lodge Hall and recreation facility.
Architecture
Mathews - Powell House
Victorian residence built 1878 by William Franklin Mathews (1840-1900) and wife Harriet India Sharp. Mathews, a Confederate veteran and farmer, moved to Queen City when it was founded (1877) and became a successful merchant. Briefly owned by various people after 1895, house was bought 1918 by Ross A. Powell (1883-1937) and wife Gussie Boyd (d. 1920). Like Mathews, Powell was a merchant.
History
Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ
The Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ was organized in 1851 with twelve charter members. This sanctuary, built in 1885 on land donated by Isaac and Felix Grundy Lemmon, replaced the original 1851 log church building. Constructed of cypress and featuring a steeply pitched roof and double entry doors, this structure reflects a simple style typical of 19th century rural Texas churches.
History
Old Liberty Cemetery and Site of Enon Primitive Baptist Church
Enon Primitive Baptist Church was organized near Old Havana on June 7, 1845. Like many new churches of its day, this one met in members' homes, schools, and brush arbors. In 1861, Anderson Miles deeded four acres of land on this site to church trustees W. Griffin, W. Burkhalter, and W. Knight.
History
Pleasant Hill School
Pleasant Hill is one of the oldest African-American communities in Texas. Pleasant Hill Baptist Church was organized in 1843. Prominent church members donated this land beside the Old Monterey Road, and a frame church and two-story schoolhouse were built here.
History
Trammel's Trace
Many prominent Texas pioneers traveled past this site as they entered Texas via the historic Texas route known as Trammel's Trace, which crosses this field. Near here, Trammel's Trace joined the Spanish or Mexican Trace connecting early settlements on the Red River with the El Camino Real near Nacogdoches.
History
Trammel's Trace
Entered Cass County at Epperson's Ferry. Continued south and west in an arc, passing through Chalybeate Springs (Hughes Springs). This 1813 pioneer trail originated in St. Louis and linked the "Southwest Trail" with the King's Highway to Mexico. It was laid out by Nicholas Trammel (1780-1852).
History
Whittaker Memorial Cemetery
This African American cemetery was once part of a large plantation owned by South Carolina native Willis Whitaker (Whittaker), who came to Texas in 1840 with his family and more than 50 slaves. Whitaker had acquired nearly 3000 acres by 1850; a six-acre tract of land was given as a cemetery for the slaves of the plantation.