History
Hoag-Faubion-Fuchs House
William H. Hoag, an electrical engineer from New York City, and his wife Beatrice built this house in 1910. The Hoags sold the house to local farmer and rancher Sam Faubion in 1914. Faubion rented the home to rancher, farmer, piano tuner, and Burnet County Commissioner Albano J. Fuchs and his wife Georgia.
History
Holland Springs
Indians had probably visited these clear, cool springs for centuries when, in 1847, Henry E. McCulloch established a Ranger camp here, on Hamilton Creek. A year later, Samuel E. Holland (1826-1917), a Georgian, decided while visiting the camp that this lush valley was an ideal setting for a farm and home.
History
Joppa Community (Ghost Town)
Some of the first settlers in this farming and ranching community were the William Alexander Faires family in 1874 and the Martin Luther Ater family the next year. The settlement was called "Pool Branch" for a nearby pool formed by a waterfall. In the 1880s a cotton gin and mill were located on the pool which was known as "Mill Pond".
Nature
Lake Lyndon B. Johnson
This lake, originally Granite Shoals, was renamed for the President of the United States on April 22, 1965, by the Board of Directors, Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA); in gratitude for his work as U. S. Congressman and Senator toward the development of the project. Mr.
History
Logan Vandeveer House
(1815-55) Came from Kentucky in 1833. He was badly wounded fighting for Texas at San Jacinto, 1836. Moving here to sell beef to Fort Croghan, 1849, he was one of organizers of the county and original postmaster of the town. In the early 1850s he built this house near Hamilton Creek for a daughter. It stood at 502 South Water Street.
History
Longhorn Cavern Administration Building
Longhorn Cavern opened as a state park in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the cavern. Using hand labor and native materials, the CCC workers built this structure in a style now known as National Park Service (NPS) Rustic.
History
Longhorn Caverns
Rich in history and folklore. A young geologic formation, only a few million years old. Bones of elephant, bison, bear, deer, other animals have been found here. When white men came to area in 1840's, Indians knew the caverns; Rangers once found and rescued a kidnapped girl from Indians in "Council Room." During Civil War (1861-1865) gunpowder was manufactured and stored here.
History
Magill Family Cemetery
Surrounded by a rock wall, the small pioneer family cemetery just west of this site is located on land that was once part of the William H. Magill homestead. Magill, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, moved his family to Burnet County in 1850. He established this graveyard with the burial of his 15-year-old son, John, in 1863. The remaining four marked graves include William H.
History
Mahomet Cemetery
This cemetery, with interments dating back to the 1850s, became a community graveyard for the Sycamore Springs and Mahomet rural communities. In 1909 J. W. Williams and J. W. and Nellie Greer deeded the cemetery property to the community of Mahomet.
History
Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community
Settlement in this part of Burnet County began in the 1850s. Two early communities were Mahomet and Sycamore Springs, originally located 8 miles from each other. Pioneers of Mahomet were George Ater, William G. Hall, and Mr. Sanford, while Sycamore Springs was settled by the Smart, Stewart, and Williams families.
History
Marble Falls Depot
The town of Marble Falls was laid out in 1887. Texas Mining & Improvement Co. deeded land for a depot to Austin & Northwestern Railroad. This building was erected in 1893 and then Southern Pacific Railroad bought the line and property. Area residents gathered at the depot to visit and watch for the train. Excursions were offered and passenger service provided.
History
Marble Falls Factory Site
The potential of water power on the Colorado River led town developer Gen. Adam R. Johnson and Farmers Alliance members to build a cotton mill on this site in the 1890s. The two-story stone factory, 300 ft. long and 100 ft. wide, was erected for the Marble Falls Cotton and Woolen Co., formed in 1892. New machinery run by hydroelectric power was installed by the Marble Falls Textile Mills Co.
History
Marble Falls School Building
Adam R. Johnson donated land at this site for construction of the present two-story granite building. Completed in 1891, it originally housed the Marble Falls Alliance University. Near Backbone Creek, east of this main building, a wooden boarding house was built for the students. The property was sold later in 1891 at a sheriff's sale, but continued to be leased for use as a tuition school.
History
Michel's Drug Store
Ernst Gustav Michel (1865-1930), a native of Germany, and his wife, Lillie Agnes, opened a drugstore at this site in 1891. After fire destroyed the first store in 1905, Michel built a 3-story edifice here. The first floor housed the drugstore and soda fountain. The second floor was an opera house with seating for 300 people. The top floor had the family's living quarters.
History
Mount Horeb Lodge
Chartered Jan. 21, 1854; met in log schoolhouse. Erected own lodge hall 1856 on land given by Grand Master Sam Mather and B. K. Stewart. First floor used as church and school. A fire in 1915 razed hall. Lodge rebuilt here 1916 on land given by G. T. and W. J. Williams. (1967)
History
Mount Zion Cemetery
John Jennings (1802-1867), his wife Sarah C. (Sally) (1806-1879), and their family came to this area in 1851. The settlement which grew up around their farm became known as Jennings Creek community. After Burnet County was created in 1852, John Jennings was instrumental in organizing the new county government. He was a county commissioner for four years.
History
Mr. & Mrs. Jacob Wolf
Jacob Wolf (1812-1874) and wife Adeline Faulkner Wolf (1814-1870) came from Tennessee to Texas about 1850. Obtaining land grant in Burnet County, they settled at Dobyville, and were pioneers, supplying their own provisions, buildings, medicines, and school. Menaced by Indian raids and aware of need for government, Wolf in 1854 help organize Burnet County.
History
Oakalla
The first settlers in this rich farm and ranch land arrived in the 1850s. Oakalla Post Office was established May 19, 1879. Schools were private until a cooperative was built which provided classrooms on the second floor. Oakalla boasted a doctor, drugstore, blacksmith shop, and a cotton gin by 1881. The two-acre school site was deeded in 1890.
History
Oatmeal Cemetery
Some of the earliest pioneers of the Oatmeal community are interred in this cemetery. The oldest documented burials are those of Mary Smith and her year-old daughter, Fanny, both of whom died on September 16, 1854. Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Roundtree deeded the two acres of land containing the cemetery in 1871. Among those interred here are veterans of the Civil War, World War I, and World War II.
History
Old Cook Home
Built 1873 in Victorian style, with large bay window, solid walnut staircase, three fireplaces; was remodeled but retains original floor plan. House was bought 1890 by Judge J. G. Cook, a noted lawyer, and remained in Cook family several generations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Old Thomas Ranch House
In 1864 a log home and a "spring house" (used to cool milk) were built on this site by Frank Thomas, rancher. Present rock house, built to catch breeze, was added 1880-1882; is of limestone quarried 3 miles northeast. Fire (1910) razed log house. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Oldest Commercial Building in Burnet
Logan Vandeveer (1815-55), a hero of the 1836 Battle of San Jacinto, came here about 1849 as a Fort Croghan beef supplier. He became first United States Postmaster in Burnet and in 1854 built this native stone structure. With a partner named Taylor, he had a store on the ground floor. Vandeveer was a charter member of Valley Lodge No. 175, A. F. & A. M.
History
Peter Kerr
1795-1861 One of "Old 300" of Stephen F. Austin's first colony; from Pennsylvania. Took part in 1836 war for Texas Independence. He made and lost several stakes. In 1851 bought a league and labor of Burnet County land, including site of Fort Croghan. Amassed wealth as army beef contractor. Gave 100 acres and town square for Burnet County seat.
History
Prairie View Cemetery
Pioneer settlers in this vicinity met together for worship services in the Gum Springs Schoolhouse until 1892, when Stephen Taylor deeded land at this site for church and cemetery purposes. This historic cemetery began in the churchyard of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, (also known as Prairie View Church) in the early 1890s.
History
Rockvale
The once thriving community of Rockvale began as a pioneer settlement in the 1850s. A log cabin built in 1855 served as a school and church. A Baptist church was erected in 1856 and had eight charter members. Over 36 acres of land were deeded by Thomas Lloyd Denniston in 1872 to the Methodist Episcopal Church.