Civic & Local
Waugh Campground
Given to Methodist church as a camp-meeting site, by the Isaac S. Addison family. Mrs. Addison named camp in honor of Bishop Beverly Waugh, who presided at first Methodist Conference in Texas, and who, like the Addisons, was from Baltimore, Md. Site was used for quarterly conferences of the church and for revivals. Converted here was The Rev. B. H. Carroll (1843-1914), great Baptist leader.
Industry & Science
Woodson Lumber Company
Brothers James R. (Jim) (1884-1940) and Harrie P. Woodson, Jr. (1892-1974) left their home in Richmond, Missouri after their mother died in 1912. In California they worked in a lumberyard, with Harrie as a laborer and Jim in the office. Jim made his way to texas in late 1912 and Harrie arrived in 1913. When they learned that Reeves-Slliman Lumber Company was for sale, they partnered with D.E.
History
Yegua Center at Somerville ISD
As the Somerville Independent School District (SISD) emerged from the Great Depression, the school board filed a Works Progress Administration project proposal on October 3, 1938, to build a gymnasium. The proposal was accepted and construction on the gymnasium began. Local skilled and unskilled workers quarried native stone from the nearby Yegua Creek.
History
Yegua Creek
In 1690 the Spanish gave the name "San Francisco" to this 62-mile Brazos River tributary; but on an 1822 map, Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas", marked it "Yegua", Spanish for "mare". Mustang mares and foals then grazed among the Indians on the timbered creek. In 1826, colonist John P. Coles built a mill on the stream.