History
1906 Reunion of Hood's Texas Brigade
In 1906 Somerville hosted the annual reunion of the Hood's Texas Brigade Association, a group established in 1872 for veterans of the celebrated Confederate unit. For two days, June 27-28, 74 veterans were honored with a celebration which included speeches, a baseball game, and a grand ball. The local events were planned under the direction of the association's president R.A. Brantley, Sr.
History
Alexander Thomson, Jr.
(August 29, 1785 - June 1, 1863) A leader in colonizing Texas, Alexander Thomson, Jr., was born in St. Matthew's Parish, South Carolina, the only son of Alexander and Lucy (Fontaine) Thomson. He later lived in Georgia before moving to Tennessee. There, in 1830, he became partner with empresario Sterling C. Robertson in the development of the Robertson Colony.
History
An Arm of The Chisholm Cattle Trail
The Chisholm Trail, which was developed following the Civil War, allowed Texas cattle to be driven to railheads in Kansas for shipment to eastern markets. An arm of the celebrated route, reaching from Matagorda County to the main trail near present McGregor, passed through this area. With the establishment of James L.
History
Brazos Bottom Baptist Church Cemetery
Also known as the Old Tunis Cemetery, this burial ground originally served a pioneer area of the fertile Brazos valley. Graves date from the 1840s, and John and Sarah Wright Echols formally set aside land in 1867 for this graveyard and a Baptist Church, which disbanded in 1883.
History
Brazos River Levee
Destructive Brazos River floods have often plagued residents of Burleson County. In 1899, a 30-inch rain killed 35 and caused about $9 million in property damage. Again in 1900, 1902 and 1908, Brazos River bottom inhabitants endured serious flooding. In 1909, W.S. Mial and 49 other citizens asked commissioners of Burleson County to build levees along the Brazos to protect the valuable farm land.
History
Burleson County
In rich Brazos River basin; had settlers early as 1825. Site in 1830 of Tenoxtitlan, one of 3 forts built by Mexico in Texas, situated above El Camino Real (The King's Highway) crossing on Brazos River. North of the road was Sterling Robertson's Colony; south, the colony of Stephen F. Austin. In 1840 on the Old Road, Civil Engineer George B.
History
Burleson County
Farmed early as 1744 by Indians under guidance of Spanish missionaries. In 1830, Ft. Tenoxtitlan, guarding Brazos crossing, San Antonio Road, attracted Anglo-Texans, who lived off wild game in early years. County created and organized in 1846. Named for Gen.
Military
Burleson County C.S.A.
On Feb. 23, 1861, citizens voted for secession, 422 to 84. On March 1, the "Burleson Guards" organized and offered its services to the state. Most "Guards" were mustered into Co.G, 2nd Texas Infantry Regt., and others served in Walker's Texas Division, Waul's Legion, Terry's Rangers, and Hood's Brigade. On the home front, the 3rd Regt.
History
Burleson County in World War II
During World War II, out of a population of 18,000, close to 1300 men and women of Burleson County joined the military, with 450 who attended Caldwell High School drafted or voluntarily enlisted. Many had never been outside the county before their service, but they deployed around the world in defense of freedom.
Industry & Science
Caldwell National Bank
On January 24, 1903, a group of local businessmen under the direction of J. J. Lane and C. C. Nelms met for the purpose of establishing a national bank. The thirty original stock subscribers who attended pledged $25,000 in organizational capital and the institution opened the following month. Operating under Federal Charter No.
History
Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department
Caldwell's volunteer fire department was organized as the Caldwell Hook & Ladder Co. No.1 on July 22, 1886, five years before the city of Caldwell was incorporated. The original 22 members of the association obtained their first pieces of equipment--a four-wheel truck (pulled by manpower) complete with extension ladders, axes, and leather buckets for holding water-through membership dues and…
History
City of Caldwell
Founded 1840 by Lewis L. Chiles, a veteran of Battle of San Jacinto. Named for Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell, Indian fighter and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. This was county seat, Milam County, in 1845; since 1846 county seat of Burleson County. Home, Burleson County Fair. (1967)
History
City of Caldwell
In 1840 the Republic of Texas Congress annexed to Milam County all of Washington County north of Yegua Creek and west of the Brazos River. The name Caldwell, which honored Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell, a noted pioneer and a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, was chosen for a settlement that would become the seat of a future county.
History
Cooks Point
Founded about 1840 where colonial road from southeast crossed San Antonio Road. Settler Gabriel Jackson had two-story log cabin-trading post here. Community was named for Silas L. Cooke, who surveyed much land in this vicinity. It is now a thriving rural village. (1969)
History
Deanville
Founded 1872 by merchant James L. Dean (born 1841) on an arm of Chisholm Cattle Trail. The post office was established 1877. Houston & Texas Central Railroad extended line here in 1913. Sons of Hermnan (O.D.H.S.) Lodge, organized in 1916, sponsors annual Fourth of July Celebration. (1972)
Architecture
Duewall House
Rudolph and Anna Duewall established a family farm here in the 1880s upon moving to Burleson County. Their son Edward (1885-1944) and his wife, Lizzie (Herrmann) (1890-1947), continued the farm operations. In 1928, they built this house on the site of the original Duewall House to accommodate their family of six children.
Military
Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence
When Mexican dictator Santa Anna revoked national rights, 30 or more men from this sparsely settled area left to resist his armies: in Grass Fight (Nov. 26, 1835), Siege of Bexar (Dec. 5-9) and other actions. While able men were absent, the foe came within 40 miles of here, pillaging the country. Civilians fled over the swollen Brazos, toward safety in the United States.
Military
Fort Oldham
Built 1836-37 by pioneers who took refuge with William Oldham (1798?-1868), Infantry major in Texas War for Independence. The fort stabilized the area, as dozens lived there in seasons of Indian raids, and eventually preachers who helped found early church. By 1838, Fort Oldham had a post office and was a stopping place on Independence-Tenoxtitlan Road. Maj.
Military
Fort Tenoxtitlan
2000 feet south, site of Fort Tenoxtitlan established by the Mexican government in July, 1830, in an attempt to stem Anglo-American settlement. Named in honor of the Aztec capital, now Mexico City. Abandoned by Mexican troops in 1832. In the town which grew up after 1834 many prominent Texans lived. The place passed from the map after 1860
Military
Fort Tenoxtitlan
Founded by Mexico as a bulwark against Anglo-American immigration, this fort and its nearby city were twice proposed for the capital of Texas. Alarmed by the influx of Anglo settlers into Texas, Mexico in 1830 sought to erect a line of forts to keep out the intruders.
History
Frenstat Cemetery
In 1884, several Moravian Czech families established farms in this area, naming the community Frenstat, or Friendsted, for Frenstat, Czechoslavakia. Alois and Veronica Polansky deeded 20 acres for a school, church and cemetery in 1887. The community built Our Lady of Holy Rosary Catholica Church and called the associated cemetery St. John's, Frenstat Catholic, or Our Lady of Holy Rosary Cemetery.
History
Giesenschlag Cemetery
Prussian born Johann Joachim Giesenschlag (1817-80), his wife Anna (Schulze), and their children came to Texas in 1855. Settling first in Washington County, they moved to Burleson County in the 1870s and bought over 1,000 acres here. Giesenschlag set aside this tract for a family cemetery, and was the first to be interred here.
History
Goodwill Missionary Baptist Church
In 1854, numerous slaves arrived near Cooks Point, led by A.S. Broaddus on a six-month wagon ride from Virginia. In 1887, many now-emancipated African American families asked Broaddus to help establish their own church. After the purchase of land near Cedar Creek for $6 on Nov.
History
Horatio Chriesman
Colonial statesman, Methodist lay leader, pioneer in Burleson County. Came to Texas in 1822 from Kentucky. Had office of surveyor, Austin's Colony, 1823-1836; was a military officer in Indian conflicts and also army of Gen. Sam Houston during Texas War for independence; in 1837 served on commission to choose site of Capital, Texas Republic.
History
J. L. Woods' Undertaking Company
Jebb Lee Woods (1872-1932) came to Somerville in 1900. He began working for his uncle at the Cowboy Merchant Store, where he sold coffins. In 1911 he became the town undertaker and started the first funeral parlor in the county. The practice of embalming first began in 1914 and coffins were purchased from traveling salesmen. A horse-drawn hearse was used until 1929.