History
Lovell-Dobbs House
Tom Lovell (1852-1911), a native of Scotland, constructed this home for his family about 1889. A contractor, he also built various public structures, including the state capitol in Arizona, several central Texas courthouses, and the local St. John's Episcopal Church building. The Rev. Charles Holt Dobbs (d. 1920) purchased the two-story residence in 1902.
History
Mud Creek Cemetery
Named for nearby Mud Creek, this graveyard has served residents of the Thrifty and Fry communities for more than 100 years. The first person known to be buried at the site was infant Martha Blackwell, who died in 1864. However, a rock slab that bears an illegible name indicates the cemetery was used as early as 1862.
History
Mullins Heritage Park
In 1894, Brown County commissioners built a public road from Bangs to Cross Cut in the western part of the county. The chief crossing of Jim Ned Creek came at Mullins Ranch, so the county bought eleven acres here for the project. Brothers John Charles and William Haven Mullins and their families settled in Brown County in 1857, helping establish nearby towns of Mullin and Thrifty.
History
Old Gray Mare Band
The 142nd Infantry Band of the 36th division of the U. S. Army began during the first World War. Band leader R. Wright Armstrong reformed the group in Brownwood in Nov. 1921. They played at such notable events as American Legion Conventions in New Orleans and San Francisco and the 1923 inauguration of Gov. Pat Neff, who proclaimed them the official band of Texas.
Military
Prisoners of War at Camp Bowie
During World War II, Camp Bowie housed several thousand German prisoners of war. The first arrivals, many of whom were troops from General Rommel's division in North Africa, came in 1943. The U.S. Army allowed the prisoners to write and receive letters and to take classes in the morning, including English, forestry, metal work, radio, bookkeeping and law.
Architecture
R. B. Rogers House
This Colonial Revival residence was constructed in 1904-05 by R. B. Rogers (d. 1935), a prominent local merchant and an active church and civic leader. The elaborate styling of the home features a distinctive two-story balconied portico with massive Ionic columns. The third floor area originally served as a ballroom.
History
Robert E. Howard
(January 24, 1906-June 11, 1936) Born in Parker County, Robert Ervin Howard grew up in the Brown and Callahan County communities of Cross Cut, Cross Plains, and Brownwood. He attended Brownwood High School and Howard Payne College, and published his first works of fiction in school newspapers. He later wrote poetry and short stories for popular magazines.
History
Rufus F. Hardin High School
George Smith, born a slave in Virginia, and later a Buffalo Soldier and school trustee in Tom Green County, arrived in Brownwood in 1885 and established the town's first school for African-American children. His home and yard on Dale Street became the first classroom and he served as principal and teacher. Rufus F. Hardin became principal in 1896 and also served as a teacher.
Military
Site of World War II Camp Bowie
Huge World War II training base, Camp Bowie was a home of the "Texas" 36th Division and trained many other units, including the "Dixie" 31st, 4th, and 13th Armored; and 113th Cavalry. It was also Seventh Headquarters of Special Troops, Fourth Army. Here, too, Gen. Walter Krueger was Commander of the VIII Corps Area Troops. The camp had a capacity of 45,000. Commanders were Col. K.L. Berry, Gen. C.
History
The May Community
Originally part of a Mexican land grant given to empresario John Cameron in 1827, May developed in the 1870s when several pioneer families settled here. Baptists and Methodists quickly organized churches. A one-room school known as Old Swayback provided the first formal education for the children. Nathan L. May built a trading post in 1879 and became the town's first postmaster in 1881.
History
The Rev. Dr. John David Robnett
Founder of Howard Payne University, John David Robnett (1845-1898) was born in Missouri, where he was educated at Westminster and William Jewell colleges and was ordained to the Baptist ministry. In 1883, Robnett was called to serve as pastor at the First Baptist Church of Brownwood, Texas.
History
The Rev. Noah Turner Byars
Noah T. Byars (1808-1888) played an integral role in the establishment of the Baptist denomination in Texas. Born in Spartanburg, South Carolina, he arrived in Texas in the early 1830s and set up a blacksmith/gunsmith shop at Washington-on-the-Brazos, where delegates met and adopted the Declaration of Independence from Mexico on March 2, 1836.
History
Thrifty
Once a thriving agricultural area and regional trade center, the community of Thrifty was established after the U. S. Army relocated Camp Colorado, a frontier defense post, along nearby Jim Ned Creek in 1857. The first family to settle permanently in the area was that of Charles Mullins, whose three sons and one daughter and their families established ranches and homes in the Jim Ned Creek valley.
History
Veda Wells Hodge
Alumna, trustee, benefactress of Howard Payne College. Born in Rising Star; daughter of a pioneer Baptist minister. Had teaching career before her marriage to J. Howard Hodge, a Midland theatre and oil magnate. President, Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, 1949-1951. Has held division chairmanships, General Federation of Women's Clubs, an international organization.
History
Walter U. Early
A native of Kentucky, Walter Urie Early (1868-1939) moved to Brownwood in 1893. He became a respected local attorney and in 1895 was elected city attorney. He was county attorney from 1900 to 1906, and served as district attorney from 1906 to 1930. A leader in numerous civic groups, he donated land east of Brownwood to the Jones Chapel Rural School District in 1929.
History
Welcome William Chandler
Credited with being the first permanent settler and first farmer in Brown County, Welcome William Chandler (1813-1870) arrived in 1856 with his wife Sarah, their children and several slaves. Their log cabin was a gathering place for other area pioneers and was the site of the county's original post office and store.
History
William Franklin Brown
(Apr. 9, 1820 - Dec. 23, 1918) In 1857 Georgia native William Franklin Brown moved to this area, where he was a pioneer cotton farmer. The following year he led in the organization of Brown County and was elected to serve as district clerk and as justice of the peace. He also participated in early defenses against hostile Indians.
History
Windham Cemetery
Named for early settler and cattle rancher S. R. Windham, this cemetery dates to 1879. The earliest documented grave is that of J. M. McPeeters, who died on July 18, 1879. Also buried here in that year was Martin Shelby Byrd, who operated a store and post office and for whom the Byrds community was named.
History
Wolf Valley Cemetery
This cemetery originally served pioneer settlers of the Wolf Valley community, which began about 1875. The earliest grave is that of S. T. Tollette, who was buried here May 11, 1882. Also buried that same month were James Lyon and R. P. Ramsey. The cemetery was formally set aside in 1902 when trustees A. E. Bailey, A. W. Hardy and J. W. Spence bought the original tract from the D. M.
History
Zephyr Cemetery
The unincorporated town of Zephyr, located on land granted to early settlers Benjamin Head and Felix Wardziski, was established in the 1860s. As the settlement grew, a school was opened in the 1870s, and churches and businesses were established. Mail was delivered weekly from Brownwood. This cemetery has served the residents of Zephyr and the surrounding area since the 1870s.
History
Zephyr Gospel Tabernacle
In 1898 John N. Coffey (1847-1919) and John Schwalm (1825-1900) deeded this site for a community tabernacle. Townspeople donated labor and material to erect this open air shelter and to rebuild it after damage from a 1909 cyclone that devastated Zephyr. Many towns in Texas once had tabernacles like this for summer church revivals, political rallies, and social events.