History
Albion E. Shepard House
In 1883, completion occurred of the extension of tracks by the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway (G.H. & S.A. Ry.) Line located between El Paso and San Antonio. Retired sea captain Albion E. Shepard arrived in the region as a railroad surveyor. He acquired much land in the area, including Section 18, Block 4 of the G.H. & S.A. Railway survey.
Nature
Ancient Rocks Boundary
The mountains toward the east are limestone reef beds deposited in the Cretaceous and Permian seas about 135 million years ago and 250 million years ago; respectively. The limestone reefs overlie deformed rocks in the Ouachita Fold Belt, which is visible along the highway to the east, near Marathon. To the south are younger limestone beds deposited about 125 to 135 million year ago.
History
Black Gap Wildlife Management Area
Black Gap, a natural cleft in the basalt ridge northeast of the Sierra del Carmen, frames the headquarters site of the Black Gap Wildlife Management Area. Established in 1948, the "Gap" contains approximately 100,000 acres representative of the rugged Big Bend Country -- the typical arid, mountainous Southwest.
History
Brewster County
Brewster County formed from Presidio County. Created February 2, 1887. In 1897 the territory of Buchel and Foley counties was added to Brewster. Named for Henry Percy Brewster 1816-1884 soldier and statesman, a hero of San Jacinto. Murphyville county seat, 1887, name changed to Alpine, 1889. Largest county in area in the state.
Architecture
Brewster County Courthouse
Courthouse Building erected in 1887 when Brewster County was created. Served Buchel and Foley County until these areas where added to Brewster County . Courthouse Square still is community center for various events. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. 1965..
History
Burgess' Water Hole
Burgess' Water Hole, called San Lorenzo by Juan Dominguez de Mendoza,1684. Later Charco Alzate in honor of an Apache chieftain. Water hole honoring John W. Burgess, pioneer freighter who here outwitted the Apaches. The emigrant road to California by the way of Chihuahua passed this place.
History
Chambers Hotel
Chambers Hotel. Original adobe building constructed in 1891. First owner, Mrs. Mary Collins. Purchased in 1905 by (Gran) Chambers. Enlarged and a wooden frame built over the thick walls. Operated as Chambers Hotel until 1930. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Architecture
City Building
City Building. Erected in 1893. Oldest public school building standing in Alpine. Abandoned as school in 1910. Later served as a hospital, college dormitory, Border Patrol station and U.S. Agricultural and Soil Conservation Service. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. 1965.
History
Colonel Lewis Given Harman
(1818-1902) Typical of those who served the South and then moved into new counties of western Texas. Surveyor, Indian agent, soldier, legislator, justice of the peace. Born in Tennessee. Moved to Texas 1838. Fought in Mexican War. Though 43 when Civil War began, immediately joined 11th Texas Cavalry, in swift 1861 campaign to place Confederate forts in Indian Territory.
History
Comanche Trail
You are now traveling the Comanche Trail blazed by Comanche Indians, en route from the western plains to Mexico, and traveled later by emigrants and soldiers. It extended south from the Horse Head Crossing of the Pecos by Comanche Springs (Fort Stockton) to the Rio Grande.
Nature
Denuded Ouachita Rock Belt
In highway cuts toward the east are excellent exposures of almost vertical rocks layers--part of the Ouachita Fold Belt, a northeasterly trending folded and faulted mountainous range which was uplifted about 275 to 290 million years ago. The deformation is comparable in age to the uplift that formed the Appalachian Range of the eastern United States.
History
First School House
Oldest school building in Brewster County. Built in 1888. Used for all public meetings and all elections. Restored in 1928 by ladies of Marathon Study Club. Is known as the Club House. Recored Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Architecture
Gage-Van Sickle House
Built in 1866. Early owners L. Gage, Seth N. Gage, W.W. Turney and Wigfall Van Sickel. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Architecture
Garcia-Valadez House
Built in 1890 by Trinidad Garcia, ranch hand. Original four rooms had adobe walls 27 to 33 inches thick. Was a social center for many years. Since 1926, home of Thomas Valadez, a leading local merchant, and family house now has eight rooms. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968
Architecture
Holland Hotel Building
This Spanish Colonial Revival hotel was built in 1912 for John R. Holland (d.1922), a successful area cattleman. Completed during the mercury mining boom days of Alpine, it served as the civic,social, and business center for the growing city. After Holland's death, the business was managed by his son Clay, who made several additions to the structure.
History
J. C. Bird
Julius Canselor Bird (1863-1925) was born in Round Mountain (Blanco Co.), and came to west Texas at age 18 as a Texas ranger, protecting crews during construction of the transcontinental railroad. J.C. then homesteaded and ranched on ten sections of land south of Alpine, along the drainage of Calamity and Ash Creeks.
History
Lajitas Cemetery
Lajitas, the Spanish word for flagstone, comes from the Boquillas Geologic Formation. Located near the Lajitas Crossing/San Carlos ford on the Rio Grande, the Lajitas cemetery has been in use since at least the early 1900s. For millennia, the ford was used by natives of the region; the Comanche, Apache and other tribes used it during raids into northern New Spain/Mexico.
History
Leoncita Springs
First known to history when Juan Dominguez de Mendoza camped here in 1684. Stage stand on the San Antonio to El Paso route through Musquiz Cañon 1857-1883. A camel train commanded by Lieut. W.H. Echols camped here in 1859. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Nature
Los Caballos (in core of the Ouachita Structural Belt)
Highly deformed rocks in the Ouachita Fold Belt, a northeasterly trending range, uplifted about 275 to 290 million years ago. The intricate folding is shown by whitish rock bands--called caballos (the Spanish word for horses)--exposed on both sides of this highway. The Ouachita Fold is comparable in age to the uplift that formed the Appalachians in the eastern part of the United States.
History
Marathon
Fort Pena Colorada, the last active fort in this area, on the old Comanche Trail, about 4 miles to the southwest was established in 1879. Marathon was founded in 1881. Named by an old sea captain, A.E. Shepard, for the Plain of Marathon, in Greece, of which the hills here reminded him. Cradle of West Texas cattle industry. Among the first noted ranchers here were Mayer M.
History
Nolte-Rooney House
Built 1890 by F.H. Nolte, early settler, on land in Murphyville (NW Alpine). The 20 inch walls are made of adobe bricks molded at the building site. Home was sold 1893 to John Rooney, second county Sheriff. The exterior looks as it did in 1890. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark --1968
History
Ritchey Hotel, 1886
1886 frame and adobe. Built facing old cattle loading pens on the Southern Pacific Railway. Lodgings and saloon for cowhands and ranchers in town to ship cattle from widely scattered ranches of the Big Bend country. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
History
Terlingua
Famous Texas Ghost Town Terlingua With the mother-ore cinnabar strike in 1890, Terlingua became the world's quicksilver capital, yielding 40 percent of nation's need by 1922. Its name from Terlingua (Three Tongues) Creek nearby, was coined by Mexican herders. Comanche, Shawnees and Apaches lived on its upper reaches. Howard E.
History
Texas Confederate Colonel Henry P. Brewster (1816-1884)
County named for Texas Confederate Colonel Henry P. Brewster, 1816-1884. South Carolinian; came to Texas, 1836. Attorney General, State of Texas, 1847-49. When South seceded he was instrumental in recruiting post office personnel, gathering property, arms, munitions of war from Texas for the Confederacy. Appointed Adjutant and Inspector General under General Albert S. Johnston.
History
Texas Confederate General Lawrence "Sul" Ross
College named for Texas Confederate General Lawrence "Sul" Ross. Lawrence Sullivan Ross 1838-1898 Entered Confederate service a private in 1861. Made Colonel, 6th Texas Cavalry May 1862. Commended for outstanding role in withdrawal from Corinth, Miss., October 1862. Made Brigadier General December 1863.