History
Wesa Weddington
Granddaughter of Harvey Mitchell, a pioneer settler of Brazos County, Wesa Weddington began teaching Latin and Spanish in 1903 in Bryan public schools. She received a Masters Degree in 1918 from Columbia University and then taught while serving as Principal of Bryan High School from 1920 to 1946.
Architecture
Wilkerson House
Built in 1912 by noted Bryan architect and contractor Charlie Jenkins, this home is located in a neighborhood where many of the town's business leaders lived during the 1910s and 1920s. Owned by banker A.W. Wilkerson until 1919, it then was acquired by prominent businessman John Parker.
History
William Templeton Millican
Old Three Hundred Colonist William T. Millican was born in South Carolina about 1780 and came to Texas with his parents and siblings in 1821. They joined Stephen F. Austin's first colony and were granted land in this area on which to make their home. The community that grew up around their land became known as Millican. W. T.
Architecture
Wipprecht House
Designed in 1898 by Bryan architect George Washington Jenkins, this home was constructed for Julia Kapp Wipprecht, who was a well-known local philanthropist. Mrs. Wipprecht lived in the home until here 1919 death, after which her son, businessman Walter Wipprecht, moved with his family into the home. The house remained in the Wipprecht family until 1990, when it was sold by Walter's granddaughter.
History
Wixon Cemetery
The rural farming community of Wixon was settled in the late 1860s by former residents of several war-torn southern states. The Wixon School and Wixon Cumberland Presbyterian Church were established in the 1870s on land adjacent to this cemetery. The earliest recorded burial here was that of Nancy Summers in 1871.