History
Davenport Cemetery
William Davenport was born in 1820 in Saltville Township, Virginia. His family later lived in Kentucky before settling in present-day Kaufman County, Texas in 1843. There William met and married Mary Ware, daughter of Texas Revolutionary veteran William Ware. William and Mary built a home south of Cibolo Creek soon after purchasing land here in 1851, part of the Vicente Micheli Survey.
Architecture
David J. and May Bock Woodward House
(The Woman's Club of San Antonio Clubhouse) In 1904 renowned architect Atlee B. Ayres designed this house for the family of May Bock and David J. Woodward, a prominent businessman and contractor. May was instrumental in designing the house, working closely with Ayres on the plans. David Woodward was the builder.
History
Dodd Field (Fort Sam Houston) Enemy Alien Detention Station, World War II
Shocked by the December 7, 1941, Empire of Japan attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii that propelled the U.S. into World War II, one U.S. Government response was the incarceration of more than 120,000 Issei (first generation, Japanese immigrants) and Nisei (second generation, U.S. citizens) in War Relocation Authority camps across the country.
History
Don Jose de Jesus Rodriguez
1822-1889 Veteran in the Texas War for Independence, 1835-1836. One of the storming party who entered Bexar December 5, 1835. An honored citizen, soldier and Ranger of Texas. Erected by the State of Texas 1963
History
Don Juan Ximenes
Born in San Antonio de Bexar, 1810. Veteran in the Texas War for Independence, 1835-1836. One of the storming party at Bexar, December 5, 1835. An honored citizen, soldier and Ranger of Texas. Died July 22, 1877. Erected by the State of Texas 1963
History
Dr. Claudius E. R. King House
Built by English-born physician C.E.R. King (1839-1919), who came to America in 1851; was a Confederate Army surgeon in Civil War (1861-65). He moved to San Antonio and in 1880 employed noted archtiect Alfred Giles (1853-1920), also an Englishman, to design house. In the native stone, Victorian structure, King had both home and office.
History
Edens Cemetery
Early Anglo settlers to Texas, the John Edens family arrived in Houston County in 1831. John's son Banister Edens, along with his wife Mary Walker Edens and their family, moved to Bexar County in 1855. By 1856 Banister Edens had acquired 350 acres of land near Selma on Cibolo Creek. Mary Edens died January 10, 1856, and was buried close to the family farmhouse that once stood near this site.
History
Edward H. White II Memorial Hangar, Brooks Air Force Base
Dedicated June 3, 1970. Edward H. White II Memorial Hangar Brooks Air Force Base Astronaut Lieutenant Colonel Edward H. White II (born at Fort Sam Houston, Nov. 14, 1930) was the first American to walk in space, while tethered to his Gemini spacecraft on June 3, 1965. Along with two companions, he died on Jan.
History
El Carmen Cemetery (Cementerio del Carmen)
Numerous 19th-century journals and other written historical accounts trace the origin of this cemetery to the burial of casualities of the Battle of Medina. Fought on August 18, 1813, the battle was the result of a failed attempt by a Republican Army of the North, consisting of about 1200 to 1500 Mexicans, Anglo-Americans, and Indians, to free Mexico from Royalist Spanish Rule.
History
El Quartel (El Cuartel)
Built in 1810, on Jan. 22, 1811, Captain Juan Bautista De Las Casas recruited forces here for first overthrow of Spanish rule in Texas by arresting Governor, and other high officials. On March 2, 1811, Juan Zambrano led counter revolutionary force, also recruited here, to overthrow Casas Regime, restore Spanish Rule.
Architecture
Emil Elmendorf House
Businessman and Civic Leader Emil Elmendorf (1850-1898) had this residence constructed in 1884 while he was part owner of Elmendorf and Co. a large San Antonio hardware firm. Designed by noted architect Alfred Giles, the house incorporates both Greek Revival and Victorian styling.
History
Emma Tenayuca
(December 21, 1916 ' July 23, 1999) During the 1930s, San Antonio native Emma Tenayuca was a prominent leader of a movement that fought deplorable working conditions, discrimination and unfair wages on behalf of the city's working poor.
History
Engleman-Muench House
Built in three stages beginning in 1858, this Caliche block vernacular double house sits on a site which was once part of the Alamo farmlands. Reflecting Spanish and German influences, it is a good example of a once-common San Antonio house type and features original built-in end chimneys. The home was built by Martin Engleman, a wealthy German immigrant.
History
Enrique Esparza (September, 1824-December 20, 1917)
Son of Alamo defender Gregorio Esparaza, 11-year old Enrique, his mother, two brothers, and sister were present at the seige by the Mexican Army (Feb. 23-Mar. 6, 1836). Hidden in a pile of hay, the youth saw his father fall and sitnessed the Heroic death of James Bowie on his sick bed. He then watched the bodies of the Texans burn in two huge pyres.
History
Erasmo Seguin
Near Homesite of Erasmo Seguin (May 26, 1782 - November 7, 1857) Born in San Antonio; descendant of Frenchman who settled in Mexico before 1714. Always a civic leader, helped found first public school in San Antonio, 1812. Went (1821) with Juan M. Veramendi to escort Austin Colony leaders to Bexar, and ever after befriended Stephen F. Austin and Anglo-American settlers.
History
Ernst Homestead
Built about 1890, this home was constructed on land bordering the Mission Concepcion Acequia (Canal). In 1896 the site was purchased by Prussian Native William Ernnst (1830-1904), a former mail carrier between Fredericksburg and San Antonio. Ernst acquired a reputation as a talented cook, and while in Mexico during the U.S. Civil War, he prepared a supper for Empoeror Maximilan.
History
Evers Family Cemetery
Claus (1817-1900) and Johanna (1818-1905) Evers and their children Christian (1847-1915) and Christina (1850-1914) came to Texas from Schleswig-Holstein, Germany in 1855. They moved here in 1874. This cemetery began on their farm in 1877, when a woman traveling through the area became ill and died at the Evers home.
History
Fest-Steves Block
This complex of four Victorian commercial structures faces Plaza de Armas, once the site of a colorful open-air market. German-born Edward Steves, A city alderman and lumber yard owner, erected the first of the 2-story buildings in 1880 on a lot next to the Spanish Governor's Palace. In 1884 Simon Fest built the adjacent Fashion Theatre and by 1888 completed two similar structures.
History
First Officers Training Camp
The first World War came to America on April 6, 1917, when President Woodrow Wilson signed the declaration, passed by Congress, that a state of war existed between the United States of America and Germany. Immediately thereafter, eight camps were established in the U.S. to train officers for combat leadership.
History
First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio
In 1844 a Presbyterian, the Rev. John McCullough, and a Methodist, the Rev. John Wesley DeVilbiss, visited San Antonio and conducted the first Protestant worship service. The Board of Foreign Missions in 1846 sent the Rev. McCullough to San Antonio to organize this church. After two years the membership erected an adobe building on Commerce Street.
History
Georg Heinrich Buchsenschutz Family Cemetery
Mexican War veteran Georg Heinrich Buchsenschutz came to Texas in 1850. He bought more than 200 acres of farmland in this area in 1860, the same year he wed Friederike Schulmeier, with whom he had ten children. Their oldest daughter, Friederike, died at the age of fifteen in 1881 and was buried on the homestead. Her father was interred near her in 1895.
History
Goliad Road
Established about 1720 by Spain as "El Camino Real a La Bahia del Espiritu Santo" ("King's Highway to Goliad"). Served for 150 years as a major emigrant, military, and trade road. Became segment of the Chihuahua Road, which connected the Texas Gulf Coast and Mexico. Indians, soldiers from Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States and Confederacy used road for their campaigns.
History
Gould-Onderdonk House
Home of distinguished Texas artists. In 1878, Robert J. Onderdonk (1852-1917), a noted landscape and portrait painter, gave impetus to the realistic style of painting in Texas by settling in San Antonio. Parents of his bride, Emily Gould, built this house in 1882. Here the artists' children were born and pursued their careers, keeping open house for painters.
History
Guenther's Upper Mill, Site of
Trained as a millwright in his native Germany, Carl H. Guenther (1826-1902) started his San Antonio operation in 1859 at the site of the present Pioneer Flour Mills. In 1868 he built another dam and mill upstream at this location. Because it was closer to town, the upper mill was an outlet for products from both plants.
History
Gugger Homestead
Arnold Gugger, son of Swiss-born Helotes Pioneers Anton and Marie Gugger, built this house and store circa 1881. Its site on the east bank of Helotes Creek was ideal for Guggers blacksmith shop, general store and saloon, and Arnold and wife Amalia Mollie (Benke) raised their six children on the second floor.