History
Joseph Dennis
Joseph Dennis (Dec. 10, 1810-Oct. 19, 1894) Tennessee native Joseph Dennis came to Texas in 1849 with his wife, Isa (Seitz), and their children. After Bell County was created from Milam County in 1850, Dennis was instrumental in selecting a site for the county seat, which became the town of Belton.
History
Joseph Dennis Lands
In 1840 Joseph Dennis (1810-1894) and his wife Isa Seitze migrated from Arkansas to Milam County, Texas. When Bell County was organized in 1850, Dennis served as chairman of the committee that selected Nolan Springs, present Belton, as the county seat. He was the first Bell County Treasurer. Dennis owned several tracts of land in the county and operated a grist mill and lumber yard.
History
K.M. Jones Family Cemetery
K.M. JONES FAMILY CEMETERY THIS FAMILY BURIAL GROUND WAS ESTABLISHED WHEN KEETON McLEMORE JONES WAS BURIED HERE IN 1890. JONES WAS A FARMER, STAGE STOP OPERATOR, AND VETERAN OF THE TEXAS WAR FOR INDEPENDENCE. HE PARTICIPATED IN THE BATTLE OF SAN JACINTO, GUARDING BAGGAGE AT THE CAMP OPPOSITE HARRISBURG.
History
Killeen Herald
W.E. Bennett began publishing the Killeen Herald in June 1890, eight years after the town of Killeen was founded. Later owners of the newspaper included W.T. Carter, an active civic leader who served as publisher and editor from 1907 to 1950. Begun as a weekly publication, the Herald has been a daily paper since 1953.
History
King's Daughters Hospital
The Temple Charter of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, a Protestant ecumenical group, was formed in 1893 to provide medical care to indigent citizens. The group, made up largely of educated women, rented rooms in a small house and opened King's Daughters Hospital in 1896.
History
King's Daughters Hospital School of Nursing
Nursing training was implemented at King's Daughters Hospital from as early as 1897, and formal two-year classes began in 1903. In 1906, the hospital revised its charter to officially include a nurses' training school and the curriculum expanded to three years about 1910. Mary Julia Putts provided outstanding leadership as director in the 1920s.
Nature
Lake Polk Park
Soon after establishing the city of Temple, the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad Company built a dam on nearby Bird Creek to create a reservoir and ready water supply. By 1900 a group of investors formed an association to develop a park at the site to be named in honor of railroad general manager L.J. Polk.
History
Little Flock Cemetery and Primitive Baptist Church
On land donated by J.W. and Mary Moore, owners of a pioneer gristmill and cotton gin. First burial (about 1860) was a stranger who died on a wagon trip from West Texas to Arkansas. Other old graves: fever victims and faithful Moore family servants.
History
Log Cabin Study of Dr. Arthur Carroll Scott
(July 12, 1865-October 27, 1940) Co-founder of Scott and White Memorial Hospital, Dr. Scott used this cabin from 1920s to 1940 as a private study and retreat. In these rooms (originally two small log "corn cribs" moved here and attached) he studied, wrote, and entertained guests. Fireplace is built of unusual stones brought by friends, who knew he was a rock enthusiast.
History
Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton
When Addie Barton (1858-1921) was seven years old, her parents, Dr. Welborn and Louisa Barton, moved to Salado so their children could attend Salado College. Upon graduation, Addie became a teacher. She felt called to become a missionary in 1883 and went to Saltillo, Mexico the next year. Her home church, then called Salado Baptist Church of Christ, commissioned her.
Military
Lt. Gen. Andrew Davis Bruce
Lt. Gen. Andrew Davis Bruce (September 14, 1894-July 27, 1969) Originator of tank destroyer corps; "Father of Fort Hood." Brilliant battlefield leader and educator. Born in St. Louis, Mo.; graduated 1916 from Texas A. and M.; in 1917, began 37 years of active military duty. In France with 2nd Infantry Division, World War I, attained (at 24) temporary rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
History
Luther Memorial
This memorial, an important symbol for the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, has historic ties to the earliest days of the school in Belton. Founded in 1845 at Independence, Texas, as the female department of Baylor University, the school moved here in 1886 as Baylor Female College under the leadership of president John Hill Luther.
History
M. H. Denman Cabin
M.H. Denman built cabin 1867 (15 mi. NW), of handhewn, square cedar logs joined by wooden pegs; has fireplace of native stone; restored 1955. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968.
History
Main Street Bridges
A number of bridges have been built over Salado Creek on Main Street since 1870. After the town of Salado was laid out in 1859, citizens crossed the creek using various combinations of rocks and logs. When local citizens and students at Salado College began to demand that a proper bridge be constructed across the creek, town officials voted to issue bonds to fund the project.
History
Major Archibald Johnson Rose
(1830-1903) Before migrating to Texas, A. J. Rose made a fortune in the 1849 California Gold Rush. In 1857 he and his wife Sallie (Austin) brought their family from Missouri to Travis County, Texas. Later they settled in San Saba County, where Rose ran a mill and started a school. He served in the local militia, took part in frontier Indian battles, and was a Confederate Army Major.
Nature
Maruna Meadow
This meadow is one of the few remaining sites in the area that illustrates what the first Bell County settlers saw upon their arrival. Czechoslovakian immigrants who came here in 1881 found the Blackland Prairie of Central Texas to be similar to the type of farmland they had left behind.
History
Mary Elizabeth Carpenter, Birthplace of White House Aide
Great-granddaughter of builders. Daughter of Thomas S. and Mary Elizabeth (Robertson) Sutherland. First woman vice president of student body, University of Texas. Married Leslie Carpenter; has 2 children. In 1954 was president Women's National Press Club. First woman ever to serve as Executive Assistant to the Vice President of the United States, 1961.
Transport
Maxdale Bridge
In July 1913, the Bell County Commissioners Court, in response to repeated flooding in this area, approved construction of a bridge at this site to provide access to Killeen for residents of the Maxdale Community. Before it was completed, however, the bridge was destroyed in a flood.
History
Maxdale Cemetery
Established in the 1860s to serve the rural community of Pleasant Grove, this cemetery is one of the oldest in Bell County. Land for the graveyard was given by Frank N. McBryde, Sr., whose 1883 application for a post office for the community resulted in the name change to Maxdale.
Architecture
Messer-Limmer Farmhouse
This vernacular farmhouse was built in 1895 for Mary Margaret Messer (d. 1919) by her sons and grandsons. It was purchased in 1920 by F. A. Limmer, local landowner and citizen of the nearby community of Alligator. Features of the Cumberland plan house include board-and-batten siding and shed roof.
History
Miriam A. Ferguson Birthplace
A five-room log cabin on this land was the home of Miriam A. Wallace (1875-1961) from her birth until her marriage to James E. Ferguson in 1899. After her husband had been twice elected governor, Mrs. Ferguson became the first woman elected governor of any state. She served two terms, from 1925 to 1927 and from 1933 to 1935. The property was inherited by Mrs.
Transport
Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railroad Bridge
Railroads greatly impacted the development of Texas by allowing year-round transport and delivery of goods. The Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad bypassed Belton in 1881, and residents arranged for the rail line to build a spur into the city.
History
Moffat
Founded in 1857 by New York native Dr. Chauncy W. Moffet and his wife, Amelia, the town of Moffat came to be known by a misspelling of their name. A Union loyalist during the Civil War, Dr. Moffet was impressed into Confederate service, but later also served the Union. He disappeared mysteriously after returning to the Moffat community in 1868. The town was platted that year by D.F.
History
Moffat Cemetery
This burial ground began as a family and Masonic cemetery. Although many, possibly older, graves exist, the oldest marked grave is that of Mary Marshall (d. 1861). In 1869, eight years after Marshall's death, J.A. Grimes sold his farm to Mary E. Dean. The parcel of land excluded two acres set aside for a graveyard.
History
Moody-Leon United Methodist Church
Established in 1877 by the Rev. F. Von Schulenbach, this German Methodist congregation was formed through the efforts of two brothers, Charles A. (1844-1931) and William Winkler (1839-1920). Members worshiped in homes and in Winkler schoolhouse until 1908, when a frame church was erected at this site. A parsonage was built in 1920 for the first resident pastor.