History
City Federation of Women's Clubs
After Temple's first federation of women's clubs accomplished its goal of founding a library and disbanded in 1902, this organization was created in 1915 to coordinate the work of the city's women's clubs. Members met in a variety of locations until a clubhouse was built in 1947-48.
History
City of Bartlett
Settlers began moving to this area in the 1830s, when Texas was a republic, but the town of Bartlett was not established until the 1870s. The founders were J. Edward Pietzsch and Capt. John T. Bartlett, for whom the community was named. In 1882 the railroad was extended to Bartlett, making the city a major regional cotton center.
History
City of Killeen (History)
When the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad were extended from Temple to Lampasas in the early 1880s, a switching station was installed near the midway point. The settlement that grew up around the site became the town of Killeen, named for Frank P. Killeen, a native of Ireland and a senior official of the rail company.
History
City of Rogers
Cotton boom town in 19th century. Founded 1881; named for John D. Rogers, Santa Fe Railroad official. By 1884 had post office, stores; at peak had schools, churches, doctors, newspaper, 3 banks, 6 gins, many businesses. From here came four Bell County sheriffs, including first one, William Reed. (1971)
History
City of Temple
Founded in 1881 on the Santa Fe line, Temple, like dozens of Texas towns, owed its beginning to the railroad and was, in fact, named for a Santa Fe official, B.M Temple. On June 29, 1881, a gala town lot sale, with free barbecue, was held by promoters. In 1882, the Missouri, Kansas, & Texas built through and soon after, Santa Fe made Temple a division point.
Architecture
Clark House
Built in the early 1890s, this house was deeded by prominent Belton businessman Peter Hammersmith to his son, John Peter, as a wedding gift in 1895. The property was sold to Sophie Clark, widow of a Rogers lumberman, in 1899. During World War II, the home was converted to a duplex to help ease the housing shortage at Fort Hood (19 mi.W).
History
Claudia Potter, M.D.
(February 3, 1881-February 2, 1970) Born in Denton County, Claudia Potter was one of eight children of William T. C. and Laura Smith Potter. A graduate of the University of Texas Medical Branch in 1904, Dr. Potter was the first woman doctor at Scott and White Hospital, and was a pioneering physician in the medical specialty of anesthesiology. Dr.
History
Claudia Potter, M.D.
Born in Denton County on February 3, 1881, Claudia Potter was one of eight children of William Thomas Carr and Laura Elmira Smith Potter. Claudia Potter graduated from the University of Texas Medical Branch in 1904, the only woman in a class of 23, and only the sixth woman to graduate from the Medical Department. After an internship at John Sealy Hospital in Galveston, Dr.
History
Cochran, Blair and Potts Department Store
Henry Mansfield Cook opened his first store in Centerville, Texas, in 1869, and in 1874 established the firm of H.M. Cook & Company with his son-in-law, Thomas W. Cochran. The firm moved to Buffalo, Texas, in 1876. Their mercantile business stocked dry goods, hardware, drugs, coffins, and included a lumberyard. The firm relocated to Belton in 1883 and opened a store at this site in 1884.
History
Comanche Gap
Break in mountain chain from Lampasas River to Nolan Creek. Route to one of oldest Indian trails in Southwest, and escape point for Comanches after last raid in Bell County. On March 14-16, 1859, the Indians killed four settlers, including John and Jane Riggs. They captured Rhoda and Margaret, daughters of the Riggses, but abandoned them here at the gap as they fled from a posse.
Civic & Local
Cultural Activities Center
Organized in 1958, the Cultural Activities Center (CAC) in Temple is among the oldest multi-disciplinary arts organizations in Texas. During the 1950s, there was a national upsurge in the arts, which coincided with Temple's post-war population growth and community history of support for the arts.
History
Cyrus Maxwell Campbell
(September 14, 1839 - January 27, 1921) Born to Cyrus C. Campbell (1810-1883) and Rebecca Elizabeth Robbins (1818-1846), Cyrus Maxwell Campbell was raised near Travis (Austin County). At the age of 21, he enlisted in the Confederate army at the beginning of the Civil War, serving in the Lone Star Rifles and later Company F, 16th Texas Infantry Regiment, where he achieved the rank of captain.
History
Daniel McKay
(October 16, 1814-October 9, 1889) Born in Maine. Came to Texas in 1834 with Sterling C. Robertson's Colony. Settled near Nashville. Participated in Battle of San Jacinto (Co. H, 1st Regt.) during the Texas War for Independence, 1836. In 1845 he married Jane Bryant, daughter of Benjamin Bryant. The latter was a government Indian agent and a San Jacinto veteran.
History
Davis Mill
Built in 1864 by William A. Davis; first stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. French burrs, Leffel water wheel and silk bolt brought from Galveston by wagon in 1871. Made flour for Central Texas homes. No widow paid toll at the Davis Mill.
History
Donahoe Community
Colonists settled in the late 1840s along the fertile Donahoe Creek. Samuel Gibbs Leatherman (1799-1888) arrived in 1854 and opened the first mercantile store. He gave land for the cemetery and brought in the first doctor. In 1880 Leatherman donated land for the schoolhouse. It also served as a church until 1911 when Thomas Jefferson Jones and his wife gave this site for the Baptist church.
Architecture
Dr. John S. and Mary McCelvey House
Completed about 1906 for Dr. John S. McCelvey (1870-1964) and his fiancee, Mary Horne (1881-1960), this house was erected of concrete blocks cast on the Horne family plantation near Waco. The McCelveys built the north wing addition and garage and servants' quarters in 1927. Dr.
History
Early Bell County Jail
In 1854, four years after the county was organized, a 2-story structure of logs was built on this site, to serve as the first Bell County jail. That log jail was replaced in 1873 by this building of native limestone. In 1874, vigilantes from all parts of Texas raided this jail and executed nine men charged with murder, robbery, horse theft and other crimes.
Architecture
Ele B. Baggett Home
Construction on this Queen Anne style home, which features sunbursts in the gables, elaborate corner brackets, and fish-scale shingles, was begun in 1892 by Ele Bright Baggett (1847-1934) and his wife, Mary Carolyn (Butts). The house is across the street from the home of Baggett's father, Silas, one of Belton's founders.
History
Farmers Mutual Protective Association of Texas (RVOS)
The Farmers Mutual Protective Association of Texas (Rolnicky Vzajemne Ochranny Spolek Statu Texasu) was organized in the community of Ocker (400' NW) by nine men of Czechoslovakian descent on February 27, 1901. Created as a means of providing farmers and rural citizens with insurance coverage, the association was a cooperative effort of neighbors ready to help each other in times of need.
History
Fellrath Building
Built for J.M. Spencer between 1881 and 1891, this building served in its early years as part of the Smith & Peyton Hardware and Buggy Shop and as the Everett Grain Company. In 1914 John Fellrath opened a tin and plumbing shop here and continued as owner of the building until his death in 1961.
History
Ferguson Home
Built 1907 for James E. and Miriam A. Ferguson, each later elected twice to governor's office in Texas. Mrs. Ferguson was the first woman elected Governor in any state. During their terms the Texas Highway Department and public schools achieved great importance. This was family home until Jim Ferguson became Governor in 1915, and again from 1917 to 1925, when Mrs. Ferguson was first inaugurated.
History
First Lutheran Church
When this church was organized by the Rev. Carl Kreutzenstein in 1886 for Temple's German-speaking Lutherans, it was named Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church. Charter members included the Schmidt, Paulus, Scholz, Koch, Bosl, Jahnke, Rhein, and Haedge families. A small frame sanctuary was built at the corner of Avenue F and Fourth Street.
History
First National Bank of Killeen
Chartered on Feb. 27, 1901, the First National Bank of Killeen is the oldest continuously operated bank in Bell County. It first served a primarily agricultural economy, but as Killeen began to develop the bank led in the town's dramatic growth.
Architecture
First United Methodist Church of Temple
The Rev. E.R. Barcus served as the first pastor of the congregation, organized in 1882, one year after the city of Temple was founded. The original structure on this site was destroyed by fire in 1911. The present Romanesque Revival building was finished three years later. Architects were Sanguinet & Staats of Fort Worth.
History
Former Site of Scott & White School of Nursing
The School of Nursing was founded in 1904 by Dr. Arthur C. Scott and Dr. Raleigh White, Jr., as a part of their Temple Sanitarium to provide professional training for nurses. Initially a small local student body was instructed by the doctors and nursing superintendent at their facility, a former Catholic convent on South Fifth Street and Avenue F in Temple.