History
Pleasanton Church of Christ
Records show that a Church of Christ congregation has existed in Atascosa County since at least 1858, when a congregation met at the head of Lucas Creek. A group of Pleasanton women, led by Texana (Holder) Brite, began holding Church of Christ services in their homes around 1910.
History
Poteet
The town of Poteet traces its history to the 1880s, when Francis Marion Poteet (1833-1907) established a mercantile store northeast of this area. A blacksmith and farmer as well as a merchant, Poteet began providing mail service to his customers. Poteet sold his business to Henry T. Mumme (1870-1947) before 1900.
History
Ralph Roy Smith
R. R. "Railroad" Smith (1880-1944) was born in Gonzales County to Alexander Frohock and Mary McGill (Mathews) Smith. Around 1907, Smith moved to Atascosa County where he opened up a law practice and entered into the newspaper business with a cousin.
History
Rancho del Atascoso
Rancho del Atascoso was the second working ranch established to serve five missions constructed near present-day San Antonio, namely Misión San José y San Miguel de Aguayo. This mission was erected in 1720 to Christianize and colonize the local Native Americans and as a safe refuge for those abandoning east Texas missions after French conflict.
History
Rossville
First Scottish community in southwest Texas. Founded 1873 by brothers William F.M. Ross and John C. Ross. Born in north Scotland, they came to Texas in 1867. Here they were awarded a contract to carry U.S. Mail. On the route, they noticed fertile soil and plentiful game of this region. They soon settled here and persuaded other Scottish families to join them.
History
Rossville Cemetery
Texas statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) transferred land here along the Atascosa River to his eldest son Jose Antonio George Navarro. J.A.G. Navarro (b.1819) then gave 160 acres here to his daughter Maria Antonia Navarro (1845-1922) in 1870, on the occasion of her marriage in San Antonio to Scotsman John C. Ross (1839-1925). One acre at this site was reserved for a cemetery.
History
Shiloh Cemetery
The first burial in this graveyard, that of fourteen-year-old John Uzell, took place in 1857. The land at that time belonged to Isaac H. Cavender, Sr., who was related to Uzell. Cavender allowed other burials on his property and soon the graveyard became known as the Shiloh Cemetery, taking its name from the surrounding community.
History
Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters
This land had once been allocated in the 1700s as a ranch for Mission San Jose in San Antonio (20 mi. N), but in the 1820s was left unsettled. In 1828 prominent San Antonio resident Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) beseeched the Governor of the Mexican state to grant him four leagues of land for pasture.
History
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Settlement along Gallinas Creek began in the early 1850s, before the creation of Atascosa County in 1856. In succeeding years, a group of families, several originating from Upper Silesia, Poland, settled in the area. These included the Kasper Kalka, Frank Kinas, Joseph Kindla Sr.
History
Town of Fashing
Near the Old San Patricio Trail, leading from San Antonio to McMullen and McGloin colony, in area of Gulf of Mexico. In this vicinity were stage stops at Belle Branch, Rock Spring, Rountree's, and Tordilla. Land was part of the Butler, Hickok, Tom and Rountree ranches. Town was platted in 1915 as "Hickok." However, after the U.S.
History
Verdi
By 1855, settlers primarily from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee, as well as some of Spanish origin, were making their homes in this area and calling themselves Lucas Community because of their proximity to Lucas Creek. In 1858 a Church of Christ was organized, followed by a Methodist church in 1859.