History
The Stone Houses
Named for shapes resembling teepees; an Indian ceremonial ground, yielding war paint. In famed "Battle of Stone Houses," Nov. 10, 1837, Lt. A. Van Benthousen and 18 Rangers (hunting stolen horses) were attacked 1.5 miles west of here by 150 Keechis. Ten Rangers and 50 Indians died in 3-hour battle. Indians fired the grass.
History
West Fork School
West Fork School Begun in the early 1880s as the Baggett School, taught by landowner Silas Baggett, the West Fork School served students in this rural region for more than 60 years. In order to remain in the center of a dispersed agricultural community, the two-room school building was moved twice: once in 1886, when it was renamed New Hope, and again in the 1920s to this site, where it was…