History
Aransas County
Created September 18, 1871 from Refugio County; Organized in 1871 with Rockport as the county seat Named for the river Nuestra Senora de Aranzazu
History
Aransas County
Created out of the coastal portion of Refugio County in 1871, Aransas County is the second smallest county in Texas. Within its boundaries are three bays of the Gulf of Mexico: Copano, St. Charles, and Aransas. The area was the site of early Indian inhabitation and Spanish exploration, as well as Anglo colonization efforts of the 1830s and 1840s.
Transport
Aransas County Airport
This aviation facility developed out of a need during World War II for additional air training sites for U.S. Navy pilots. In 1942 the Aransas County Commissioners Court offered the Civil Aeronautics Administration the use of land in the county for an auxiliary military landing field.
Military
Aransas Pass Light Station
Construction of 67-foot tower was started in 1855. The French lens was lighted in 1856, to mark natural Gulf pass to Aransas and Corpus Christi Bays by way of Lydia Ann Channel -- named for the daughter of the first keeper. During Civil War, Confederates (in 1863) buried lens for safety before damaging tower to avert use of light by Federal forces.
History
Baldwin-Brundrett House
Aransas County Judge W.H. Baldwin, who promoted Rockport as a deep water port, lived in this house in the 1890s. George A. Brundrett, Jr., was a Confederate veteran and cattle rancher on 15,000 acres on Matagorda Island; his family lived here from 1917-42.
History
Baylor-Norvell House
Located on the waterfront in a community that has survived many hurricanes, this house was built about 1868 by Dr. John W. Baylor. In addition to his medical practice Dr. Baylor owned a local meat packing business, ranched, and worked to bring a railroad to the county.
History
Bracht House
Adolph L. Bracht (1872-1961) was born in Rockport and worked at lumber and grocery stores before establishing his own wholesale and retail grocery in 1899. He was a charter member of the Intracoastal Canal Association and active in the Chamber of Commerce and Sacred Heart Catholic Church. For many years he shipped vegetables raised by growers in this area and the Rio Grande Valley.
History
Cementerio San Antonio de Padua
According to local lore, George Lewis (1859-1895) donated one-half acre of land at this site to the Hispanic citizens of the area for use as a cemetery, provided that he be buried in the center of the land. Handmade stones indicate burials dating from the 19th century; the first recorded deed was signed in 1933. Years of wind and rain have rendered many stones illegible.
History
Connie Hagar
(June 14, 1886 - November 29, 1973) Born Conger Neblett in Corsicana, and married to Jack Hagar in 1926, Connie Hagar received early training as a musician. She and her sister became interested in birds and worked as volunteers with the U.S. Biological Survey. The Hagars moved to Rockport in 1935, shortly after Connie made her first visit here.
History
First National Bank of Rockport
Chartered on October 8, 1890, the First National Bank of Aransas Pass (now Rockport) was organized by a group of businessmen led by John H. Traylor, James M. Hoopes, George W. Fulton, Jr., James C. Fulton, and Richard H. Wood. Located at Main and Water streets, the bank played a vital role in Rockport's growth and development. Its name was changed to First National Bank of Rockport in 1903.
History
Frandolig Island
Dubbed "Nine Mile Point" by early settlers, this island was first used commercially by the Cushman Meat Packing Company in the late 1860s. Austrian Franz Joseph Frandolig, a horseman who had delivered cattle to Cushman & Co., homesteaded property at this site when the company vacated the land in 1878. Frandolig and his family established a large fig orchard.
History
Fulton
Located on Aransas Bay, the city of Fulton has a history closely associated with the fishing and shipping industry. The town was founded in 1867 by George Ware Fulton, whose mansion is an important local landmark. Schools, churches, and businesses were quickly established in the town. A one-room schoolhouse, built in 1886, was relocated and adapted for use as a city hall.
History
Fulton Cemetery
Land for this community graveyard was set aside when the town of Fulton was platted by George Ware Fulton in 1868. The earliest documented burial is that of a child, Louis L. I. Greenough (1868-1869). The large number of children's graves attests to the often harsh conditions of pioneer life.
Architecture
Fulton Mansion
Built between 1874 and 1877 by George Ware Fulton (1810-1893) and his wife, Harriet Smith Fulton (1823-1910), this imposing residence was named "Oakhurst." The three-story French Second Empire style home is of plank wall construction, with a shell aggregate concrete basement and characteristic mansard roof. The house featured modern heating, ventilation, and plumbing systems and gas lighting.
Architecture
Fulton-Bruhl House
Built about 1868, this vernacular early Texas home was purchased in 1872 by James C. Fulton, a noted early business and civic leader. Fulton sold the home in 1907 to his son-in-law, Albert L. Bruhl, a pharmacist and civic leader who served three terms as mayor of Rockport. The home exhibits Greek Revival elements and features Italianate porch supports, a five-bay entrance, and oversized dormers.
History
Home of George W. Fulton
Born at Philadelphia, June 8, 1810. Served in the Texan Army in 1836. A pioneer resident of Refugio County. After an engineering career of distinction elsewhere he returned to Texas and became a cattle baron Died October 31, 1893. The town of Fulton bears his name. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Hoopes-Smith House
Prominent local businessman and land developer James M. Hoopes (1839-1931) had this home built between 1890 and 1892. The home later served as a hotel and boardinghouse between 1894 and 1930. It was sold in 1934 to T. Noah Smith, Sr. (1881-1955), a prominent oilman and shipbuilder.
History
Jackson Family Maritime Companies
In the early 20th century, Rockport earned its place as a major center for the fishing industry along the Texas coast. In 1906, Roy Jackson opened Jackson Fish Company on the waterfront. His brother Stephen joined him to market local fish and oysters. By 1935 the company continued to expand and even became involved in creating docks and channels as motorized vessels came into use.
History
John Fagan
Soldier in the Texas War for Independence at Goliad, 1835-1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962.
History
Lamar Cemetery
This burial ground originally served pioneer settlers of the Lamar community. Founded by James W. Byrne (d. 1862), a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Texas Revolution, it was named for his friend Mirabeau B. Lamar, President of the Republic of Texas from 1838-1841. The earliest grave is that of Patrick O' Connor (1822-1854), a bookkeeper for Byrne's business operations in New Orleans.
Architecture
Mathis House
John M. Mathis (1831-1922) had this home built for his family in 1868-69. Instrumental in platting the town of Rockport, he served as its first mayor in 1870. In 1880 he deeded the house to his cousin, Thomas H. Mathis (1834-1899), a leading rancher, shipper, and banker.
History
Mills Wharf
MILLS WHARF, BUILT BY JOHN HOWARD MILLS IN 1932, WAS A RENOWNED CENTER FOR WATERFOWL HUNTING AND FISHING FROM THE 1930s UNTIL IT WAS SOLD IN 1960. IT CONSISTED OF COTTAGES, A COOK HOUSE, A GUIDE SERVICE OFFICE, A STORE, A TACKLE SHOP, AND A UNIQUE WILDLIFE MUSEUM WITH A FAMOUS DUCK, FEATURED IN 'RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT,' WHICH HAD AN OYSTER PERMANENTLY ATTACHED TO ITS FOOT.
Architecture
Moore House
Built in 1906, this house was the vision of James Edward (J. Ed) and Josephine Kennedy Moore. The two were married from 1903 until 1915, when Josephine passed away. J. Ed was a business owner who served several terms as Rockport's mayor between the 1920s and 1940s. He was instrumental in establishing a yacht basin and a public beach park, both of which are still in use today.
History
Port Bay Hunting and Fishing Club
Danish native Andrew Sorenson (1864-1941), established a reputation as a hunting and fishing guide in this area in the early 20th century. He bought 240 acres of land (.5 mi. W) in 1909 and in 1912 incorporated the private Port Bay Hunting and Fishing Club. Charter members included prominent citizens from Texas and the U.S. Adjacent waters teem with ducks and geese in season.
History
Rockport
The town of Rockport was founded by cattlemen J. M. and T. H. Mathis in 1867. Originally a part of Refugio County, it became county seat of newly formed Aransas County in 1871. Shipping and fishing provided the primary economic base of the town in its early years.