History
Manning
The community of Manning grew up around the operations of the Carter-Kelley Lumber Company, established here about 1906. The town was named for D. W. W. Manning (b. 1820) who started a sawmill here in 1867. By 1929 Manning had a population of 1300 and included a movie theater, a school, stores, churches, a post office, and a railroad depot.
History
Mantooth Farm
Members of the Mantooth family came to Angelina County in 1858. Albert Edwin (Eddie) Mantooth (1874-1969) was born in Homer, Angelina County, to Albert and Mary Richard Hall Mantooth. In 1897, Eddie married Sarah Annie Atkinson Mantooth (1879-1914). In 1909, they bought an 11-acre farm on the outskirts of the original Lufkin townsite.
History
Old Diboll Library
Built about 1908 by T. L. L. Temple for his Southern Pine Lumber Company employees, this building served for many years as a community library and recreation hall. While the lower floor included a reading room and recreational facilities, the upper floor contained living quarters used at various times by the Temple family, single male employees, and schoolteachers.
History
Original Site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal service in Lufkin was held in 1893 by the Rev. George L. Crocket for the W. G. Garron and R. B. Shearer families. St. Mary's Mission was established in 1895 by the Rev. C. M. Beckwith, but the congregation did not have a permanent church building until 1906 when the structure on this site was erected and the name St. Cyprian's was adopted.
History
Page Cemetery
Nehemiah Page, born in Sampson Co., N. Car., fought in the War of 1812 and survived the Fort Mims attack near Mobile, Ala. He married Elizabeth Crane in Hinds Co., Miss. In 1830, and the couple had seven children. The family moved to Texas in the 1850s, settling on 320 acres and building a log house about half a mile from this family cemetery. Elizabeth was the first burial on Jan.
History
Pollok Cemetery
Since the late 1800s, this cemetery has served the residents of the town of Pollok. Before the end of the 19th century, the Pollok community was established near a railroad. Here, Richard Blair built the settlement's first sawmill, setting Pollok's vital lumber industry in motion. By 1899, Bodan Lumber Company established itself in the area.
History
Prairie Grove
The community of Prairie Grove began in 1845 and became a place for early settlers to gather. A cemetery began in 1849 when the young daughter of John M. and Caroline Stovall died. In the 1880s a school/church building was erected near the cemetery, and became the heart of the community.
History
Redland School
In April 1846, local engineer William Gordon Lang was assigned to survey Angelina County. He and his wife, Nancy Martin (Bonner) Lang, settled this area in 1854, and other settlers soon followed, including William Manson Perkins. Early settlers held private lessons for their children until the first area school was built on William Perkins' property after the Civil War.
History
Site of Martin Wagon Company
Daniel Webster Martin (d. 1916) and his two sons opened a small wagon shop here in 1908. An inventor and designer, Martin developed various wagons for use in the lumber industry. In partnership with B. L. Zeagler, he incorporated the operation as the Martin Wagon Company in 1910.
Civic & Local
Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band
At the turn of the century, a group of Lufkin men organized a town brass band. It later became known as the Hoo Hoo Band after representing Texas at a national convention of the Order of Hoo Hoo, an organization of American and Canadian lumbermen.
History
Site of the Town of Marion
Known as early as 1828 as McNeill's Landing. In 1831 it consisted of over 200 buildings. First county seat of Angelina County 1846 - 1854. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary
The original commissary at this site was constructed about 1894 when T. L. L. Temple (1859 - 1935) started the first Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill here. The store was moved to the present building when it was completed in 1923. The inventory included groceries, medicine, ice, furniture, dry goods, and coffins.
Industry & Science
Southland Paper Mills, Inc.
First plant to turn southern pines into newsprint. Mill here revolutionized paper industry in the southern United States. Seeking local paper rather than foreign supplies, Southland was incorporated in 1938 and began operations, 1940. Its mills made possible use of southern pine (earlier rejected for newsprint because of its high resin content).
History
Stranger's Rest Cemetery
R. D. Holland, Sydney Hackney, and S. D. Long, trustees of an Angelina County African American cemetery group, acquired one acre here from the Lufkin Land & Timber Co., in 1905. Recorded burials began in 1901. The graveyard was first known as Frost Cemetery but according to local tradition began to be called Stranger's Rest Cemetery about 1915 because of the large number of drifters buried here.
Architecture
The Gann House
Early Texas double log cabin built of interlocking hewn pine logs. Originally had a "dog trot" (open center hall). Erected before 1860 by John D. Gann, first district clerk of Angelina County. Sold to W. H. Bonner in 1864. Remodeled in 1955 by L. F. Bonner, owner. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
History
Thomas Lewis Latane Temple
(1859 - 1935) Virginia native Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, son of Henry W. L. and Susan (Jones) Temple, moved to Texarkana, Texas, in 1877. He married Georgie D. Fowlkes in 1880. In 1893 Temple organized the Southern Pine Lumber Company in Texarkana and began timber operations on lands he purchased here in Angelina County.
Industry & Science
U.S. Forest Service in Texas
This area--heart of the Piney Woods and the East Texas forest industry--was, in 1933, cutover forests and worked-out farms. That year the Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of National Forests in this state. Today Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine and Sam Houston forests (the 4 National Forests in Texas) include over 658,000 acres.
History
Vicente Micheli
Italian-born Vicente Micheli (c.1755-1848) came to North America around 1770 via New Orleans and moved to the Spanish territory of Texas by 1793. He settled first in Nacogdoches and later received a grant of land near this site. His grant was the first patented by the Spanish Crown in what became Angelina County.
History
W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit
The son of an early industrial engineer, W.C. Trout (1874-1947) came to Lufkin in 1905 and joined Lufkin Foundry & Machine Co. as a shareholder and company secretary. Already a successful inventor, Trout led the diversification of the shop from equipment repair to production and sales.
History
Walker Cemetery
This part of Angelina County has long been called Red Land, or Redland, for the red soil ridge that forms the center of the community. In 1846, Thomas R. Walker moved into the area from North Carolina. In 1851, he wed Emily Z. Briscoe, and the couple farmed and reared their children on their homestead. Walker served as county sheriff and county judge, and was a member of the local Masonic lodge.
History
Whitehouse Cemetery
Whitehouse Cemetery According to local tradition, this cemetery may take its name from the 19th-century Cole family home, a structure whose whitewashed exterior stood out from the majority of other log houses and frame buildings in the area. It lies on what was once a thoroughfare from the former Angelina County Seat of Homer to Crockett, the county seat of neighboring Houston County.