History
Rehoboth Cemetery
The Rehoboth Cemetery began in 1871 with the burial of infant Mary Miller. The cemetery served the community of Sublett, named after John Sublett. The town consisted of a school, post office and church. The one-room schoolhouse, also used by the Rehoboth Baptist Church, once stood next to the cemetery. The 2.5 acre site contains more than 500 graves, although many of the headstones are illegible.
History
Riley Cemetery
About 1856 Jonathan Riley (b. ca. 1791) brought his family to this area from Kentucky. He received this land grant in 1863. The burial ground began, legend says, when a thief was killed nearby and Riley gave permission for his burial here. Riley's family and neighbors also used the cemetery. In 1883 Thomas Riley and William Autry set aside this one-acre tract for a graveyard.
Military
Robert David Law
_Specialist Four, United States Army_ Robert David Law was born on September 15, 1944, to Robert M. and Martha E. (Morris) Law in Fort Worth. He attended Fort Worth Technical High School, graduating in 1964, and was a member of Southcliff Baptist Church. Law enlisted in the U.S. Army at Dallas on October 17, 1967.
History
Rodgers Cemetery
Georgia native Thomas F. Rodgers (1835-1906) and his wife Mary (Adams) (1842-1912) came to Texas from Kansas in the late 1850s. A successful farmer and stock raiser, Thomas Rodgers later served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Eventually he became one of Kennedale's leading landowners. Part of his property was later set aside for this burial ground.
History
Rogers-O'Daniel House
William Joseph Rogers built this residence after purchasing a 137-acre farm here in 1901. Originally a three-story, Queen Anne style frame structure, it was remodeled by W. Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel (1890-1969) in 1925, after the farm was subdivided. O'Daniel had moved to Fort Worth as sales manager for Burrus Mills.
Military
Royal Flying Corps
In 1917, during World War I, the U.S., British, and Canadian governments entered into a reciprocal agreement to train military pilots for combat duty. Foreign troops trained in Texas during the winter and in Canada in the summer. Camp Taliaferro in Tarrant County, consisting of three air fields, provided training facilities for members of the Royal Flying Corps and U.S.
History
Saginaw Cemetery
In the 1890s, John Allebaugh Bowman led 19 people to Tarrant County on a three-week journey from Missouri. John and his brother, Frederick Kline Bowman, owned adjoining properties midway between Haslet and Saginaw. John founded Saginaw Cemetery Association to meet the needs of nearby residents. In 1899, the Association incorporated under the laws of the State of Texas with trustees R.A. Barrow, S.
History
Saint Ignatius Academy Building
The first Catholic School in Fort Worth, St. Ignatius Academy was organized by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur in 1885. The first classes were held in a house purchased from Jacob Smith. This four-story limestone structure, used for classrooms and chapel, was completed in 1889. J.J. Kane designed the building, a good example of the Victorian Institutional style.
History
Saint Joseph Hospital
In the 1880s Fort Worth was a thriving railroad town. The Missouri Pacific Railroad Company established an infirmary near its headquarters to care for its employees. In 1885 the Congregation of Sisters of Charity of Incarnate Word, based in San Antonio, was asked to take over operation of the infirmary. Ten nuns traveled to Fort Worth to begin work at the Infirmary.
Architecture
Saint Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church
The first Mass for this Roman Catholic parish was held in 1909 in a small wooden church which burned in 1922. This Romanesque Revival structure was designed by the well-known firm of Sanguinet, Staats and Hedrick. It was dedicated July 20, 1924, by the most Rev. Joseph P. Lynch, Bishop of Dallas. The bells were installed in 1956.
Architecture
Saint Patrick's Cathedral
Erected 1888-1892 under the direction of the parish priest, the Rev. Jean M. Guyot, a native of France. Stone for walls was quarried locally. Improvised, horse-powered lathes were used to turn and polish the eighteen interior pillars. Ceilings and window frames are wood grained. Stained glass windows were imported from Munich, Germany. Bell, cast in Troy, New York, has been in use since 1888.
History
Saint Paul Lutheran Church
In 1892 the Rev. Johann Christian Schulenburg (1840-1922), a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod missionary, conducted services in German at the Knights of Honor Hall in downtown Fort Worth. In 1896 the Mission was chartered as the Evangelisch Lutherische St. Paulus Gemeinde, and a chapel was erected on Hemphill and Railroad (now Vickery) avenues.
Architecture
Sandidge-Walker House
Cattleman George Sandidge (1873-1965) had this house built about 1921 and sold it four years later to Webb and Gussie Walker. Dr. Walker (1886-1962), was appointed city health officer in 1913 and served in that position for seven years. In 1954, Walker sold the house to St. John's Episcopal Church to serve as its rectory.
Architecture
Santa Fe Depot
Built 1899. Beaux Arts design features native stone banding. When intact, north windows of painted glass depicted travel from Pony Express to steam locomotives. Visitors here have included such world figures as Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Lyndon B. Johnson. Depot was used by six railroad companies.
Architecture
Shelton Building
This building was constructed in 1900 for Robert G. Johnson, who was acting on behalf of his wards, the children of Albert D. Evans. It was first leased to G.Y. Smith, who opened the "Daylight Store", a general merchandise establishment. In 1910, after the property was purchased by John M. Shelton, a third floor was added to the original two-story structure.
Architecture
Sinclair Building
Pioneer oilman Richard O. Dulaney hired noted Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson to design this building. It acquired its name from the Sinclair Oil Company which leased offices here soon after the building's completion in 1930. The billion-dollar Sinclair-Prairie Oil Company moved its headquarters here in 1932.
History
Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack
Wealthy rancher and oilman W. T. Waggoner (1852-1934) developed a stable of fine Thoroughbreds and quarter horses at his ranch here in the 1920s. At this site he built Arlington Downs, a one-and-one quarter mile race track with a 6,000-seat grandstand. Racing days drew thousands of spectators including numerous celebrities.
History
Site of Bedford School
The first Bedford area school met in a log building during the early 1860s. After the Civil War classes were held in a frame structure at Spring Garden, north of this site. After it burned in the early 1880s, Milton Moore (1828-1914) deeded land here for construction of Bedford College, an elementary and high school academy.
History
Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery
The Berachah Rescue Society was organized at Waco in 1894 by the Rev. J. T. Upchurch (b. 1870) for the protection of homeless girls and unwed mothers. Nine years later he opened the Berachah Industrial Home at this site. Ten buildings were located here, including a print shop for publication of the "Purity Journal".
History
Site of Bird's Fort
(One mile east) In an effort to attract settlers to the region and to provide protection from Indian raids, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant of the Republic of Texas Militia authorized Jonathan Bird to establish a settlement and military post in the area. Bird's Fort, built near a crescent-shaped lake one mile east in 1841, was the first attempt at Anglo-American colonization in present Tarrant County.
History
Site of Bird's Fort
Established in 1840 by Jonathan Bird on the Military Road from Red River to Austin. In its vicinity an important Indian treaty, marking the line between the Indians and the white settlements, was signed September 29, 1843, by Edward H. Tarrant and George W. Terrell, representing the Republic of Texas. The ragged remnant of the ill-fated Snively Expedition sought refuge here, August 6, 1843.
History
Site of Confederate Park
Local businessman Khleber M. Van Zandt organized the Robert E. Lee camp of the United Confederate Veterans in 1889. By 1900 it boasted more than 700 members. The camp received a 25-year charter to create the Confederate Park Association in 1901, then purchased 373 acres near this site for the "recreation, refuge and relief of Confederate soldiers" and their families.
Transport
Site of Fort Worth-Dallas Interurban
In 1901 the Texas Legislature authorized the Northern Texas Traction Company of Fort Worth to extend rail service to Dallas. The interurban system, powered by overhead electrical lines, was completed one year later. The thirty-five mile trip took just over an hour. Passengers could flag the train and board at any point on the route. Each car held up to forty travelers.
History
Site of Majestic Theatre
At the turn of the century Ft. Worth's live entertainment consisted chiefly of saloon, dance hall, church, and school presentations. Matters changed in 1905 when Karl Hoblitzelle founded the Interstate Amusement Company and chose Ft. Worth for its Southwest Vaudeville Theater Circuit.
History
Site of Mosier Valley School
In 1870, former slaves Robert and Dilsie Johnson received a 40-acre tract of land here as a wedding gift from plantation owner Lucy Lee. Soon other freedmen settled in Mosier Valley, and in 1883 a community school was organized. A schoolhouse, built at this site about 1924, served as a focal point for the surrounding area. It was replaced by a brick structure in 1953.