History
William Elbert "Buck" Mayes
(July 14, 1837 -- August 27, 1915) Alabama native William Elbert "Buck" Mayes, son of The Rev. Isaac C. Mayes and Lucinda Fuller, came to Texas in 1856. He married Sarah (Dickerson) Clark in 1858. After serving in the Civil War Mayes returned to Houston County and became a successful lumber and mercantile businessman.
History
William Kyle McLean
(October 14, 1902 -- September 6, 1971) Descended from the first permanent settlers in this area, William Kyle McLean made significant contributions to the agricultural history of Houston County and East Texas.
History
William Monroe Patton
(1855-1915) William Monroe Patton moved to Crockett from Tadmor in 1899 after the death of his brother James H. Patton, with whom he owned a dry goods store. William purchased property on the southwest corner of the public square in Crockett and built a brick structure for his general merchandise business. He constructed six one-story buildings on what became known as Patton Block.
History
William Van McConnell
(April 18, 1855 -- March 17, 1919) A native of Crockett, William V. McConnell was the son of Irish-born blacksmith John McConnell. After helping his father with that trade, McConnell opened a mercantile store on the square and developed there a family business that lasted nearly a century. McConnell was a charter member of the First Christian Church.